MEATengines 2022...

April 15, 2022, 12:49 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor 

I’ve gone back and forth in terms of deciding what to do with rehab (rigid/SS v fork/multi-speed) and finally decided to run two mountain bikes again. I’ll leave the V2 as a rigid SS and get back on it when my leg’s strong enough and run a short travel, multi-speed, FS bike when I’m first allowed back on the trails. I like the V2 how I run it, so that means I can use the FS bike as a mule for test parts. That’s where I am right now anyway. Have everything I need on hand except a frame and shock.

Multi speed short travel FS gets my vote until you're back up to strength.  I'm sure someone will lend you a frame.

April 15, 2022, 2:40 a.m.

I know this is kinda pricey, but they have videos on how to do saddle recovering. 

https://lehcycling.com/products/saddle-recover-kit

I've been looking at doing this to my beloved wtb volt that is in need of a rework.

April 15, 2022, 2:57 a.m.

I was wondering if I could ask the Collective on the mb-1 conundrum....I have actually been looking at getting two ss'able bikes (you can get two from Marino with one ship rate) to test out geo. This will hopefully work out to one frame to rule them all. It's been over a decade since I rode a SS full time...so this could be a learning experience. 

I guess my main questions have to do with Geo. I am currently on a hardtail with 402reach and 67° HA (I'm 5'6"). My idea was to try two bikes with very different fits...One with 430ish reach and one with 450ish. I live in a mellower terrain than you guys...more tight jank with short ups and downs...how slack is to slack? Where do the trade-offs begin?

April 15, 2022, 7 a.m.

Posted by: Bikeryder85

I guess my main questions have to do with Geo. I am currently on a hardtail with 402reach and 67° HA (I'm 5'6"). My idea was to try two bikes with very different fits...One with 430ish reach and one with 450ish. I live in a mellower terrain than you guys...more tight jank with short ups and downs...how slack is to slack? Where do the trade-offs begin?

My shreddy bikepacking/gravel HT has an unsagged 65 deg HTA with a 140mm fork. So sagged that's like ~66.5 deg. I'd ride anything from a BC black diamond to spending all day on a gravel road. On paper it seemed quite aggressive, but from the saddle it turned out to be very versatile.

My trail SS HT has a HTA in the 62-63 deg range unsagged with a 140mm fork. It rides gravel and more mellow trails just fine although it wouldn't be a HTA I'd shoot for if it wasn't seeing steep techy trails somewhat often. I also don't think I'd want to ride anything slacker than this.  

I like your plan of getting two HTs made and trying the geo out to see what you like. Putting down some numbers on a drawing can lead you to believe stuff that a few rides will show were wrong. If you have two shots at it you should be able to hit on a combination of numbers you enjoy and if you are lucky end up with two great frames that offer different ride experiences.

April 15, 2022, 8:25 a.m.

Thanks for the input Vik...that's kinda what I am shooting for, as in two very different rides. I initially thought 64 on the short bike, then 66 on the long (with the ability to change via headset)...my theory being to have similar WB but compare/contrast the two.

April 15, 2022, 9:09 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Careful, once you know how cheap and easy it is to recover a seat you’ll never buy another new seat again…

Do tell (or PM me). My Trailmaster LTD has two tears in the leather that I'm Shoe Gooing at the moment but would love to recover.

Edit - sorry saw your later post.

The way I do it is pretty simple really:

1. Remove old cover.

2. Repair/replace foam.

3. Glue the leather to the top. 3M Super 77 works for this.

4. Trim so there’s enough for it to wrap around to the bottom of the shell. There’s usually a little rim stamped into the edge of the shell to guide you.

5. Glue the bottom down. I like contact cement for this because you can work the leather into place but it’ll stick once you have it where you want it. I use a couple clamps in tight spots to make sure it sticks (the nose for instance).  Take your time in tight spots and you can work out the wrinkles.  Sometimes cutting wedges out of then invisible part helps it lay flatter.  

6. Trim (or don’t, it’s the bottom of a bike seat) the excess leather once the glue has thoroughly set.  Use something super sharp (brand new AB Olfa) for this so it doesn’t pull the leather off the base  

- I’ve had good luck using suede, picked up a cheap jacket at a thrift shop that’s given me a ton of material. Thin enough that I can avoid wrinkles and cheaper than scraps from a leather worker.

- I bet you can glue over the existing cover if it’s attached securely but I haven’t tried it.  SUPER 77 and Contact Cement should both bind leather to leather reliably.  Saves a step and damage to the padding.

- I don’t know what to use for padding, but I’m planning on making a “cushy” Flite someday using an old yoga mat.

Last edited by: tashi on April 15, 2022, 9:33 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 15, 2022, 9:22 a.m.

The thrift store jacket idea is brilliant! I think that will be my next project...

April 15, 2022, 10 a.m.

Skirts should have nice big pieces clear of stitching, purses should give a million different colour and finish options…

April 15, 2022, 11:10 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor 

I’ve gone back and forth in terms of deciding what to do with rehab (rigid/SS v fork/multi-speed) and finally decided to run two mountain bikes again. I’ll leave the V2 as a rigid SS and get back on it when my leg’s strong enough and run a short travel, multi-speed, FS bike when I’m first allowed back on the trails. I like the V2 how I run it, so that means I can use the FS bike as a mule for test parts. That’s where I am right now anyway. Have everything I need on hand except a frame and shock.

Multi speed short travel FS gets my vote until you're back up to strength.  I'm sure someone will lend you a frame.

Biggest thing I would say is hardtail or milk foamer oops meant full suspension. is gears. You will be some what weak but don't forget that your body needs time to regain riding strength.  And for a while high cadence will be your friend till your body gets back to something close to normal.

April 16, 2022, 1 a.m.

Bikeryder85 - Where do you live?

If I were buying a new off the shelf HT tomorrow it would be a Cotic Solaris Max. Not too slack but not too steep for Surrey Hills riding.

Maybe it's worth speaking to HT Party Steve - he knows his HTs.

Last edited by: fartymarty on April 16, 2022, 4:10 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
April 16, 2022, 1:03 a.m.

Tashi - thanks.  m

April 16, 2022, 5:07 a.m.

Marty-

I live in the eastern USA, and you are right, British bikes work really well here (I have a Soul 27.5 now). I would love the Solaris if it wasn't for the long stays. I am a shorter rider and have found over the year that 430 is the max for me without losing to much traction. I have thought about making a custom based on the last Soul, and that is where my idea for the two Marino prototypes came from. Figured if I went that route I may as well put sliders on.

April 16, 2022, 6:25 a.m.

Marty-

I live in the eastern USA, and you are right, British bikes work really well here (I have a Soul 27.5 now). I would love the Solaris if it wasn't for the long stays. I am a shorter rider and have found over the year that 430 is the max for me without losing to much traction. I have thought about making a custom based on the last Soul, and that is where my idea for the two Marino prototypes came from. Figured if I went that route I may as well put sliders on.

I'm 5'11" and can't make the long CS work either. If I was designing a bike 425mm seems ideal for me with 430mm being the max.

April 16, 2022, 10:12 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Marty-

I'm 5'11" and can't make the long CS work either. If I was designing a bike 425mm seems ideal for me with 430mm being the max.

Cotics won't work then as they're a long stay bike.  I'm 6'1" so have no problems with long stays bit I get it if you're running a shorter reach.

Def get slidy drops so you can play with stay length.

April 16, 2022, 10:37 a.m.

Cotics won't work then as they're a long stay bike.  I'm 6'1" so have no problems with long stays bit I get it if you're running a shorter reach.

Def get slidy drops so you can play with stay length.

The issue for me seems to be that I carry most of my body weight in my shoulders/chest with scrawny legs/butt. If CS get long I can't traction the rear wheel and I am unable to get up steep climbs. With short CS bikes I can load up that rear wheel and tractor up steep climbs no problem. With very slack STAs [ie Krampus] I can make a longer CS work. With steeper STAs long CS become more of a problem.

I also like the feel of shorter CS, but it's the inability to climb that is the deal breaker for me.