MEATengines 2022...

April 6, 2022, 6:09 p.m.

Posted by: taprider

Posted by: Vikb

Vegetarians and Vegans are MEAT.

said the cougars and bears

Have you seen me in riding photos? Check out that ape-index. I’m a f’ing T-Rex.

April 6, 2022, 6:51 p.m.

T-Rex, mightiest of all the carnivores

is a T-Rex going to be part of the MEAT logo?

April 6, 2022, 7:09 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Broped is such a great term for blender-bikes. I wish I knew where it came from.

Sorry, that was me :) 

I wish I good find a good template for the old yellow 'One Less Car' stickers, and get 'One Less Broped' made. They'd be everywhere....my bikes, my car, my forehead....

April 6, 2022, 7:26 p.m.

While issues around disabilities and PTSD are real and serious they are red herrings/strawmen in the context of mountain bikes vs. BroPeds. It would be like tobacco companies justifying selling cigarettes because they give socially awkward folks a way to connect with people in group setting that would otherwise see them isolated. That's not the real intent of the BroPed manufacturers nor the tobacco companies and their "solutions" cause all sorts of negative outcomes such that the end result isn't positive in the big picture.

Vik, well since you brought up companies selling things towards based around "helping" them. Specialized Bikes a few years ago latched onto the whole ADHD thing and such.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/specialized-adhd-program-2015.html

Reality is the science was already there. And as someone who supposedly has ADHD as soon as I read about this was wary of Specialized's intentions because really felt like a way to sell shit to parents desperate for options and therefore profit of an illness.

April 6, 2022, 7:31 p.m.

will you have a Meatengine sticker for vegetarians? ;-)

rice and bean engine,

oat engine...

LOL....been a long day today.

April 7, 2022, 3:11 a.m.

Posted by: Andrew

I need a FAQ maybe.

“Why aren’t there MEATengines stickers?”

Originally because I KNOW my first friend who asked was going to put it straight onto his BroPed.

-seriously lol'd at that

“Why isn’t there a MEATengines store?”

WTF would I sell?

-stickers, t-shirts, flannel...you could do various designs based on stuff in your work/comments...just on this threat you could have an endurbro fully decked out on a courtesy cart (with your site underneath), or the #DHT, ....or a shirt that says "I'm min-maxed!", Think of the branding opportunity! 

Seriously though, a FAQ is probably a good place to start.

April 7, 2022, 4:04 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

will you have a Meatengine sticker for vegetarians? ;-)

rice and bean engine,

oat engine...

LOL....been a long day today.

Brings a new meaning to "Vegan Burger".

April 7, 2022, 8:38 a.m.

Velodrome Trail on  Burnaby Mtn

April 7, 2022, 8:57 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Posted by: mammal

Andrew, you got me hook/line/sinker for "Cogs in the Machine".  Please get on that, would ya ;)

It’s been a work in progress way too long but I shared it because I’m committed. I don’t want to make it anonymous but I also want it to be real so it’s been a challenge and I play with the format. It’s launching this Spring for sure and after the first half dozen I plan to start accepting nominations for MEATengines-mechanic (and floor staff) folks I can reach out to, anywhere.

Can't wait. Fantastic idea with loads of potential.

April 7, 2022, 10:53 a.m.

another decal idea

We ride these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...

JFK

April 7, 2022, 12:38 p.m.

Posted by: blackhat

For me personally, I believe in my soul that some human experiences need to be difficult to achieve. Not because of any consequence - though those exist - but because overcoming challenge and striving for new and unique experiences is a fundamental human need. And we already have roller coasters, dirt bikes, ski lifts, bike lifts, race tracks and a hundred other ways to get your adrenaline fix without having to provide your own propulsion. Why is it so important to eradicate one of the last niches of exclusively human powered thrills?

The relentless drive to eliminate obstacles to any and every human experience is befuddling to me. Soon they’ll be building a chairlift to the top of Everest and yelling “gatekeeper” at anyone who thinks this is missing the point. They’ll be building roads to the top of every 14’er in North America and telling people that as long as the road is discreet they have nothing to complain about. And yes, handicapped access will be used to justify it from the mouths of able bodied people who can’t wait to summit by car.

Of course I can and will continue to pursue challenges for myself like a mountaineer who chooses to climb Pikes Peak from the bottom. But please don’t tell me the crowds at the top take nothing away from the experience, and don’t tell me I’m obligated to support their presence at every peak. And realize that whether the result is inevitable or not, the inexorable push to pave the peaks of human experience is a symptom of a cancer eating at humanity’s soul. No, e-bikes don’t affect me any more or less than bikes, but that doesn’t mean I have to ignore what they represent or be silent about it.

Well, I've kind of stayed away from the forums so as to not be drawn in like I was on another site and NS riding is quite far removed from what we have, but then I saw this thread highlighted on the main page feed and clicked. I been reading all 21 pages of it throughout the day as I complete tasks and take a break and finally finished. I would like to whole heartedly say big thanks to Vik for starting this thread and all those sharing my sentiment, I think Blackhat sums it up perfectly why moto anything just irks the fvck out of me.

Like Endurmil, although not so bad, when I broke my knee cap in 1/2 I had the same thing, people telling me now I had a good "reason" to get an e-bike, it absolutely boiled my blood. My reply was always the same, "No, I don't need one, I am not disabled, I am just injured, I will do like I did when I first started and build back slowly, under my own power and it will take, as long as it takes".
I even took solace in riding my DHT Kona Unit with all the guys on their FS bikes and was generally the first up the hill and kept up pretty well when speed/pedaling got faster. There was some good news when I resurrected my V1 Phantom FS and I rode that exclusively since, with the good news of my knee starting to feel "almost" normal like over that time, recovery from hard rides being just a day and it getting stronger and stronger feeling, that is until this past Saturday when I pulled the Unit out to go for an easy XC cruise with a friend who hadn't ridden in a while, but then suffered with my knee for 2+ days after and have to sadly admit, the Unit must get parked for now if my knee is to recover properly and faster.

There's other things discussed over the previous 21 pages I'd like to put my $0.02, but that'll have to wait until another day, time to feed the pups and go for a ride, but want to say, again thanks for this thread and place....DHT+Meat Engines for life.

For those who didn't see it, this is what my knee looks like now, when/if I'll ever have the funds necessary to get all that removed and it fixed properly, who knows, but for sure, I'll be under my own power no matter.

Last edited by: Lynx on April 7, 2022, 1:05 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Image was too big
April 7, 2022, 12:53 p.m.

This is a great thread! I'm glad everyone found their way here. FartMarty gets full credit as OP though. Nice work. I just talk a lot. :-)

Last edited by: Vikb on April 7, 2022, 1:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 7, 2022, 3:03 p.m.

"every day is leg day" 

Well, that's how I feel on my 3rd back to back day of single speed hardtailing.
I gotta say it's addictive and I was never a 'pain cave' kind of mtb'er but I'm fully enjoying the experience so far. Thanks everyone here for their experience and suggestions whilst I've been lurking here

April 7, 2022, 3:28 p.m.

another decal idea

We ride these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...

JFK

Easy way?

April 7, 2022, 11:14 p.m.

This is a great thread! I'm glad everyone found their way here. FartMarty gets full credit as OP though. Nice work. I just talk a lot. :-)

No need for thanks, I was just replicating the MEAT comments section. Thanks to Andrew for the MEAT page and all who read and contribute.

Last edited by: fartymarty on April 8, 2022, 12:02 a.m., edited 1 time in total.