MEATengines 2022...

Jan. 24, 2022, 3:56 a.m.

In the absense of the MEATengines comments section I thought I would start one here.

Last edited by: Vikb on Feb. 13, 2023, 8:34 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 24, 2022, 7:06 a.m.

Great idea to have some place to MEAT and discuss Andrew's blog posts.

Jan. 24, 2022, 7:50 a.m.

Bummer about the Achilles!

Was curious where the kids ebike thing was going?!

Maybe we will see more for a short and unfortunate spell, if he's writing and not riding as much?

Jan. 24, 2022, 11:12 a.m.

I sent an email to Andrew and the MEATengines email address so hopefully he finds this thread.  I'm guessing he's probably busy trying to sort life stuff atm.

Jan. 24, 2022, 11:15 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

Bummer about the Achilles!

Was curious where the kids ebike thing was going?!

Maybe we will see more for a short and unfortunate spell, if he's writing and not riding as much?

It's a no from me for kids ebikes.  I'm not overly a fan of them for adults either.  I oile my bikes simple and unelectronic.

Jan. 24, 2022, 12:35 p.m.

At the track when my kids are riding laps there's inevitably an obese kid circling the perimeter on an e-bike.

Like a sad little orbiting moon.

Jan. 24, 2022, 3:26 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Like a sad little orbiting moon.

Humans will devolve to whatever level of mobility incapacity they can get away with. Giving a kid an inline wheel chair is just cruel.

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 24, 2022, 7:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 1, 2022, 8:39 a.m.

When is meatengines going to start a forum?

Browsing nsmb and PB with my morning coffee and both with a heckler article on the front page.

Both sites, but obviously PB much more so, start to feel like bike industry news feeds-slash-advertising sites that happen to have actual mtb content mixed in, rather than the other way around.

Not a slight against NSMB, pb is much worse, obviously,  especially since the outside acquisition.

Last edited by: Kenny on Feb. 1, 2022, 8:40 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 1, 2022, 6:27 p.m.

another vote in support of the above

Feb. 2, 2022, 5:14 a.m.

I guess PB are always going to report what's new and be part of the bike industry news feed / advertising.  They're big and need to keep advertisers happy.

NSMB - don't need to go down this route.  Speaking for myself but I would rather see another AM article on A Wide Six Drivetrain or Push On Grips etc than the latest greatest plastic pedalec from the latest on trend brand.

Feb. 2, 2022, 6:52 a.m.

aaaaand go!

*chuckles*

Feb. 3, 2022, 7:29 a.m.

I ignore the e-bike articles on any site I happen to be on NSMB included. I think there is definitely a market in the MTB media landscape for a Meat Engine site with forum and articles. As much as some people want to say ignore the motors it's still a mountain bike...it's not. Try adding an electric motor to a surfboard or wearing an powered exo-skeleton for hiking/running and telling those sports communities it's the same activity.

If people want to recreate with motors go nuts. I don't spend my time protesting outside my local moto/ATV/4x4 shop. I'm just not interested in those activities or the content related to them.

I'd love it if NSMB had a profile setting for MTB and e-bikes so you could select one or both for content delivery and be able to filter the other out. I don't love a lot about PB, but they have that feature and I use it happily.

Last edited by: Vikb on Feb. 3, 2022, 3:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 3, 2022, 11:30 a.m.

I got a nice xmas present from my 11 year old son - a tshirt saying "Why I am not battery powered on my ride? Because I can!" I had a chuckle and hugged him, grinning from ear to ear. 

And yes...ebike content is getting more all over, as are the shiny new school mtb'ers in my area. Personally I do not have anything against them, I would not buy one unless I had to (think: Digger and Paul B, for example) .....coming back to the MeatEngine thing - yes, I do not come to NSMB to read about new and shiny ebikes  manufacturer wants me to buy from him. I am all good without a battery.

Feb. 9, 2022, 11:10 p.m.

Andrew - if you are on this thread what fenders do you use on V1?  My Krampus has now become my commuter / road bike (as I'm selling my car).  I'm currently running MH front and rear which work great but are a little clunky for road use.

I've just put a 11-23 microshift cassette on and it's a game changer over the 11-42 for longer distances.

Feb. 14, 2022, 2:27 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Andrew - if you are on this thread what fenders do you use on V1?  My Krampus has now become my commuter / road bike (as I'm selling my car).  I'm currently running MH front and rear which work great but are a little clunky for road use.

I've just put a 11-23 microshift cassette on and it's a game changer over the 11-42 for longer distances.

Hi Marty,

Sorry for the delay. Short answer, I don’t know. Been riding some nice SKS fenders but they won’t clear my 2.6” rubber, so when V1 comes back with braze-ons I need to source some fatter ones. Not exactly pressed for time!

I usually start with SKS and go from there. I like that they’re family owned with lots of long time employees and still make ~ everything in Germany.

———

I’ll be running a short-stack 5-speed on that bike. 11-23t I think with a 30t ring.