MEATengines 2022...

Sept. 27, 2022, 11:37 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

We seem to have lost the original spirit of mtb.

100%. That's why when I want to get a reliable dose of human powered adventure "spirit" online I head for some trail running media. I like riding bikes in the forest more than I do running in the forest, but that community still appreciates the beauty of moving over terrain efficiently with only human power. As opposed to looking at it like it's an unpleasant experience that needs "fixing". On the plus side a lot of those people are also MEATy mountain bikers.

Sept. 27, 2022, 1:35 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: fartymarty

We seem to have lost the original spirit of mtb.

100%. That's why when I want to get a reliable dose of human powered adventure "spirit" online I head for some trail running media. I like riding bikes in the forest more than I do running in the forest, but that community still appreciates the beauty of moving over terrain efficiently with only human power. As opposed to looking at it like it's an unpleasant experience that needs "fixing". On the plus side a lot of those people are also MEATy mountain bikers.

Maybe the adventure riding community is out adventure riding and doesn't care so much about producing online content?

In my experience adventure riding has always been a niche. In the beginning that niche pretty much overlapped with what MTB was. In subsequent decades, a lot of other stuff has been added under the MTB moniker that appeals to larger numbers of people. But that same adventure riding niche is still there. Personally I don't find it too hard to ignore the stuff that doesn't interest me (e-MTBs, DH bikes, freeride competitions, etc.). I don't use social media, maybe that helps?

Perhaps we need a "Post your adventure ride photos" thread? I don't have any recent stuff but can contribute some pre-pandemic trip photos.

Or maybe we should go out on an adventure ride and create some content for NSMB?

Sept. 27, 2022, 5:05 p.m.

To be fair bikepacking.com has a reliable stream of bicycle 'adventure" content. I do post summaries of some rides I do on NSMB and I have been told off for posting too much riding stuff and in other cases riding content just gets ignored. Which reduces my enthusiasm for posting it on this site. People want to be arguing about STA, CS and e-bikes not riding! I wish I was joking, but look at the forums and see how much riding content there is vs. tech discussion or even NBR.

I have posted a fair bit of riding content on my personal blog over the years and on other sites that are more receptive to ride content.

The other side of this is I am keen on the trail running content not because there is a story about a gal running up and over Everest backwards in winter while juggling knives. [I don't care a lot about the extreme adventure stuff.] It's because everybody is out there running human power and loving it. So I am not curating "adventure" content from them to get my human power fix. It's just what that community is about. In the MTB world it seems like that is a minority opinion and it's nice to be somewhere that I don't have to look for likeminded weirdos and I can feel like I fit in. I can and do ignore a lot of what's going on in the MTB media world these days. The % I have to ignore seems to have grown a lot and it's nice to be places online where I don't have to.

In terms of Van Isle/Sunshine Coast riding stories. I am happy to do some riding if you are keen and to document it. One issue I have, usually, is I am solo on more adventurous rides so the bike leaning against a tree photos get repetitive and the story telling less dynamic solo. If we can actually get some action shots to illustrate a report that would definitely make it more interesting. I've got a ton of one day ride ideas we can do and if you were to be interested in a some bike camping trips I have a bunch of ideas there that we can do from our doors or with minimal driving.

Last edited by: Vikb on Sept. 27, 2022, 5:15 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 27, 2022, 5:40 p.m.

I just googled "vikb blog" and found your "vikapproved" blog! I was not aware of it until now.

Told off for posting too much riding stuff?? Here on NSMB?

I agree MTB forums tend to focus on gear discussions (and lamenting e-bikes and the lost spirit of MTB, 😜) and not so much on actual riding, and posting trip and ride reports usually generate few responses so eventually people don't bother anymore. I guess trail running has the advantage that there isn't really any gear to discuss and there are no e-shoes to debate.

I'm up for some adventure day rides and shooting some photos.

Sept. 27, 2022, 7:05 p.m.

To be fair bikepacking.com has a reliable stream of bicycle 'adventure" content. I do post summaries of some rides I do on NSMB and I have been told off for posting too much riding stuff and in other cases riding content just gets ignored. Which reduces my enthusiasm for posting it on this site. People want to be arguing about STA, CS and e-bikes not riding! I wish I was joking, but look at the forums and see how much riding content there is vs. tech discussion or even NBR.

More riding content sounds great, Vik! I always enjoy your stories. I do find ridelog content is harder to discuss and  comment on than bike setup or technical content, so I can understand that in absence of a “like” button it’s hard to gauge feedback.

Meat-powered sub-forum perhaps?

Sept. 27, 2022, 7:58 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Maybe the adventure riding community is out adventure riding and doesn't care so much about producing online content?

Most of what have heard and seen that those who are out adventure riding is either rare media articles.

https://www.salsacycles.com/journal/stories/hell-biking-revisited

Or really most you hear about via IG or FB where all they post is a few photos of their adventures. Roman Dial, Michael Doom Fassbender, Grizzly Munro....

https://www.instagram.com/dialroman/

https://www.instagram.com/elizasampey/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjBBGByqgBL/

Really just people doing shit in the woods and living their life the best they can

Last edited by: Endurimil on Sept. 27, 2022, 8:01 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 28, 2022, 6:07 a.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

More riding content sounds great, Vik! I always enjoy your stories. I do find ridelog content is harder to discuss and  comment on than bike setup or technical content, so I can understand that in absence of a “like” button it’s hard to gauge feedback.

Meat-powered sub-forum perhaps?

Thank you for the feedback. My cat was quite sick the last year or so and passed away recently. While that was very sad it does mean I can get back to some more interesting riding. She needed a lot of care and my GF works long hours at an office so I was the primary caregiver and didn't feel good leaving her alone for more than a few hours so I stuck to shorter local rides.

I don't know what the answer is on ride reports. To properly document rides with photos and words takes a fair bit of effort during and after the ride. It's hard to get motivated when it doesn't seem like there is a lot of interest. By comparison it's a lot easier to snap a photo at home of a new SS cog which generates a bunch of discussion on SS gearing. So it's tempting to just stick with gear/tech related content. 

Definitely something to ponder!

Sept. 28, 2022, 9:36 a.m.

I am 100% with the sentiment on the TRP reach-adjust tools, which is unfortunate because the DHR-EVO is closely followed by the Quadiem in my personal estimation of best brakes ever vis-a-vis modulation/power/not using dot fluid. Luckily ride feel is more important than looks! Certainly no chance of me buying any big S brake again barring some extraordinary development.

Sept. 28, 2022, 8:46 p.m.

I don't know what the answer is on ride reports. To properly document rides with photos and words takes a fair bit of effort during and after the ride. It's hard to get motivated when it doesn't seem like there is a lot of interest.

From this comment on Andrew's review of the Marin SQ:

"I'd also like to say I love this site, [...] One of the posts on here about bike packing, inspired me and the kids to head out on an overnight bike ride earlier this year."

New cycling adventurers are still being raised around the world ;-)

Sept. 29, 2022, 7:28 a.m.

The biggest single motivator that kept me creating content over the years [started in ~2007] has been chatting with folks who said they got inspired to do something bikey because of something I put out on the net. Might be going on a tour or starting to commute or cargo bike. And of course reading other people's content has inspired me as well so it's a self-reinforcing cycle of cycling that feels good when it hits its stride.

Last edited by: Vikb on Sept. 29, 2022, 12:04 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 29, 2022, 7:33 a.m.

I saw this pop up on the interwebs. If I needed a new FS bike I'd give this MEATy rig a a close look. Although the cost is high enough I would also look at full custom so I could ditch the funion mount shock and get sliders.

https://reebcycles.com/products/sst

OTOH being able to get a production bike that ticks most of my boxes is nice. I am glad the weirdos at Reeb are making them. If you can get a test Andrew I'd love to hear a review. I'll sent them an email about that this morning. :-)

Last edited by: Vikb on Sept. 29, 2022, 7:37 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 29, 2022, 7:52 a.m.

The biggest single motivator that kept me creating content over the years [started in ~2007] has been chatting with folks who said they got inspired to do something bikey because of something I put out on the net. Might be going on a tour or starting to commute or cargo bike. And of course reading other people's content has inspired me as well so it's self-reinforcing cycle of cycling that feels good when it hits it's stride.

Yes.

Sept. 29, 2022, 7:56 a.m.

I saw this pop up on the interwebs. If I needed a new FS bike I'd give this MEATy rig a a close look. Although the cost is high enough I would also look at full custom so I could ditch the funion mount shock and get sliders.

https://reebcycles.com/products/sst

OTOH being able to get a production bike that ticks most of my boxes is nice. I am glad the weirdos at Reeb are making them. If you can get a test Andrew I'd love to hear a review. I'll sent them an email about that this morning. :-)

Yeah, that beauty screams frame-only review. Really enjoy the lines and also it has a classic Turner meets steel hardtail vibe I enjoy. 

Can’t believe they went Onion mount but, as with the Arrival, at least I can ASSume it’s implemented perfectly. Right?

Sept. 29, 2022, 8:01 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Yeah, that beauty screams frame-only review. Really enjoy the lines and also it has a classic Turner meets steel hardtail vibe I enjoy. 

Can’t believe they went Onion mount but, as with the Arrival, at least I can ASSume it’s implemented perfectly. Right?

You'll never know until you own one, but my experience with small makers is they will make a problem right. It would still be a hassle to deal with alignment issues, but I don't think REEB would leaving you in the lurch. I could be wrong of course. I guess the other thing is with a steel frame a local builder might be able to sort out alignment issues as well to save the shipping costs/downtime. Hopefully it's not a problem a customer would need to deal with.

Sept. 29, 2022, 9:09 a.m.

^those are hot. guy on RM just built one up: