MEATengines 2022...

July 14, 2022, 7:26 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Posted by: thaaad

I carry one of these when I'm on solo rides. Never had to use it yet thankfully.

neat

The whistle is a great idea. Used to always have one but at some point I stopped. I do carry my phone in a very accessible/injury-friendly way but I'll add a fresh Fox 40 to my shopping list (my wife stole mine for teaching gym class).

------

Skooks I'm very happy for you that it's 'Only' six weeks. Sounds freakin' painful all the same. Hope it was a good emergency experience - other than the lack of checking up on your head-smack.

Nothing but good things to say about my experience at LGH ER. Super busy and missing some staff, but they still managed to give me proper care in a reasonable amount of time.

July 14, 2022, 7:29 a.m.

I carry one of these when I'm on solo rides. Never had to use it yet thankfully.

neat

That's a great idea. I have one on all my packs, but not on my Fanny pack. There was no cell service where I had my accident, so I would have been in trouble if I was on my own.

July 14, 2022, 7:38 a.m.

If I go somewhere really out of cell service solo I'll bring a SOS beacon that works off satellites.

July 14, 2022, 3:37 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

That's a great idea. I have one on all my packs, but not on my Fanny pack. There was no cell service where I had my accident, so I would have been in trouble if I was on my own.

I also give my wife an exact list of all the trails I'm riding, in the order that I'm riding them, and an estimate of how long I should be, and I never deviate from the plan unless I text her first and she responds. It might seem paranoid but it would be way too easy to get stuck overnight (or worse) with nobody knowing where you are. It takes only like 30 seconds to send her the text message before the ride, it would be silly not to do it. I'm not overly concerned about something happening but it's better safe than sorry.

July 14, 2022, 4:28 p.m.

Same here, just not worth it for me to be on the NSR instaposts, they have enough crap to deal with.
Full itinerary, fox40 in pocket as there's always a chance that packs may get thrown/torn off me, if it's far of reach then a Zoleo/SOS device

Riding with friends is always helpful unless they almost faint from seeing the injury, haha - and yes, LGH is a fantastic place with a great ER and an excellent rehab clinic

heal up Skooks

Last edited by: DanL on July 14, 2022, 4:29 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 14, 2022, 6:49 p.m.

Nothing but good things to say about my experience at LGH ER. Super busy and missing some staff, but they still managed to give me proper care in a reasonable amount of time.

Awesome. That was my experience too.

July 14, 2022, 6:52 p.m.

I also give my wife an exact list of all the trails I'm riding, in the order that I'm riding them, and an estimate of how long I should be, and I never deviate from the plan unless I text her first and she responds. It might seem paranoid but it would be way too easy to get stuck overnight (or worse) with nobody knowing where you are. It takes only like 30 seconds to send her the text message before the ride, it would be silly not to do it. I'm not overly concerned about something happening but it's better safe than sorry.

Great point. Forest 101 = tell someone what you’re doing. 

Posted by: Vikb

If I go somewhere really out of cell service solo I'll bring a SOS beacon that works off satellites.

I need to investigate this more. Specifically a beacon with the ability to text/message for help? My injury could have happened anywhere. Odds (by %) were it would be on Fromme where I could limp out/get home but I’ve been lots of places where it would have been a hard exit on my own.

July 14, 2022, 7:16 p.m.

I need to investigate this more. Specifically a beacon with the ability to text/message for help? My injury could have happened anywhere. Odds (by %) were it would be on Fromme where I could limp out/get home but I’ve been lots of places where it would have been a hard exit on my own.

This small InReach does SOS on its own and does text/email with a phone as the keyboard/screen [you don't need cell service]. I have the big format version of this with a screen and keyboard built in.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5060-919/inreach-mini

Someone posted about these devices. Looks similar to the small InReach, but a bit cheaper. I can't compare them.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6013-634/satellite-communicator?colour=Grey%2FGreen

July 14, 2022, 7:26 p.m.

Great point. Forest 101 = tell someone what you’re doing.

Add to that have one other thing do. Always text my wife and friend not only where am but when heading into the ride. When done and at truck text am safe or if have to wait text as soon as can that am safe.

Even if had an Inreach or what not would still follow that procedure as Murphy loves to fuck things when you really want it to bloody fucking work. Why will carry paper maps for some areas like last two years riding up near Combermere and Barry's Bay.  Doesn't fail and much easier to orientate your self in places. Interestingly saw a FB post by the MTB Endurance Legend John Stamstad who uses his old waterproofed paper maps even today. Says the same thing.

Last edited by: Endurimil on July 14, 2022, 7:38 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
July 14, 2022, 7:42 p.m.

Posted by: silverbansheebike

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Interesting, I find the mental side of injury is less about the cause (inevitably bikes) and more about the time off the bike - this is not good for my head.

I think this depends on the severity for me. All crashes suck when they result in time off the bike, which isn't good for the head game, but for more serious injuries I've had there definitely have been some mental impacts that take much more work to get over.

Should add the mental aspect of injury also can be effected by who treats you and who does your rehab. So much of getting healed and recovered from injury has a mental aspect. If you have little trust in the people your seeing it does effect how it goes.

July 14, 2022, 7:58 p.m.

neat

Can get a version that can be part of your waist pack zipper pull like this one.

July 14, 2022, 10:14 p.m.

I do have one on both my hydration waist pack and backpack, but what if you really fuck yourself up and you can't reach / get to it?

July 14, 2022, 10:29 p.m.

I do have one on both my hydration waist pack and backpack, but what if you really fuck yourself up and you can't reach / get to it?

I totally went down this road today too. I think I need a little whistle stuff-pocket on my shoulder strap. Doesn't have to be weatherproof or anything, just to keep it from bouncing about.

Same thought process that lead to my HMPL cellphone pocket (which is weatherproof).

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on July 14, 2022, 10:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 15, 2022, 3:33 a.m.

Mine is a clip on type, but it's clipped kinda out of the way on my fanny pack, I'm going to figure out better placement. 

July 15, 2022, 3:56 a.m.

I'm about to go through this myself. Hard OTB this morning, which rarely seems to happen to me (yeah for new school geometry). Sore ankle and wrist but I shook it off and kept riding. Felt reasonable good, but 15 minutes later I stepped off the bike and something went 'snap'. I landed in a heap and couldn't bare any weight on my ankle.  I clearly couldn't walk, but a combination of crawling, carrying, and piggy backing got me back to the top of the trail where I coasted back to the road on my my bike.  This was definitely faster than waiting for NSR.

Spent most of the day in emergency and it turned out to be a fractured fibula. So happy to hear this, as I thought I had pulled a Mandrew and snapped a tendon. 🙃

6 weeks off the bike is going to be hard to handle, but it could have been worse. I actually slammed my head pretty hard but the FF helmet did its job and no concussion symptoms at all.  The emergency doc didn't even ask about this, which suprised me.

Biggest take away was how important your friends are when things go bad .

Healing vibes Skooks, makes mine sound minor in comparison as I'm backing the bike a week later (school drop-off and commute into town).  I even manages a little home yoga session last night.