MEATengines 2022...

March 6, 2022, 12:53 p.m.

Posted by: Ouch

Flats. Same age. I'm not a masochist, not into punishing my body unnecessary!😁

Well you can certainly get flat pedals with large enough platforms that your feet don't need to be levered off them causing disabling ankle pain.

March 6, 2022, 1:12 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: Ouch

Flats. Same age. I'm not a masochist, not into punishing my body unnecessary!😁

Well you can certainly get flat pedals with large enough platforms that your feet don't need to be levered off them causing disabling ankle pain.

Been there done that.

FS is perfect!

March 7, 2022, 6:24 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

I've got no problems when people who have legit reasons for riding FS but most riders don't ride HTs because its "too hard".

I've converted 5 friends to hardtails over the last couple years. It's good to have some numbers as it dispels the notion that it's too hard/too painful/too !!! My GF was an interesting experiment as she's 50 and a newer MTBer so she didn't learn to ride rigid bikes and hardtails like we did back in the day when there was no choice. I was ready for her to say no thanks and we'd either sell the HT or keep it for bikepacking trips. She ended up liking it a lot and shredding the same trails on a HT vs. her FS bike so it was a good experiment.

I'm thinking of starting a monthly hardtail ride in the new area to see if I can lure out some of the local HT riders and get some more visibility for that type of bike.

Last edited by: Vikb on March 7, 2022, 6:26 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 8, 2022, 6:21 p.m.

It does sort of feel today like the fast approaching future is hardtail rides or carbon-MAMB rides. Might as well be on the spear tip of organizing the kind of rides you want to go on!

March 8, 2022, 6:47 p.m.

Someone explain MAMB? 

I know MAML but not MAMB.

Back on the hardtail currently while I build another fs frame. Man it is jarring to try and achieve the same speeds.

March 8, 2022, 8:19 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

Someone explain MAMB? 

Back on the hardtail currently while I build another fs frame. Man it is jarring to try and achieve the same speeds.

Meat Assisted Motor Bike?

March 8, 2022, 8:20 p.m.

That makes sense.

March 8, 2022, 9:47 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Someone explain MAMB? 

Middle Aged Man(baby*) Bike?

*insert baby as appropriate to rider.

March 8, 2022, 9:47 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Someone explain MAMB? 

Middle Aged Man(baby*) Bike?

*insert baby as appropriate to rider.

March 8, 2022, 10:09 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

It does sort of feel today like the fast approaching future is hardtail rides or carbon-MAMB rides. Might as well be on the spear tip of organizing the kind of rides you want to go on!

Andrew, first time heard the reference of meat engine was in 1997 riding trials at a Canadian Pacific Trials Association organized mtb observed trials out in Belcarra.  CPTA while a moto trials club also had a mtb trials option. At the same time a BC Cup race was out there. One of the CPTA guys who who helped run it referred it to meat engine trials, as he put it we had the same ideas as they did  we just chose to do it the harder way. LOL

March 9, 2022, 5:35 a.m.

Someone explain MAMB?

Motor Assisted Mountain Bike.

———

I hate terms like “acoustic bike,” it’s the other that should wear the qualifier but I get why Pedelec died on the vine and why there’s so much push-back to Moped so I came up with my own term.

MAMB also distinguishes plug-in forest toys from two-wheeled electric-motor-assisted car replacements.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on March 9, 2022, 5:53 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 9, 2022, 5:49 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

One of the CPTA guys who who helped run it referred it to meat engine trials, as he put it we had the same ideas as they did  we just chose to do it the harder way. LOL

I originally heard the term in the context of Moto v. mountain biking as well. A long time ago. Probably riding my bike on the Moto trails at McNutt/Blue Mtn. 

As, at least the high end, of mountain biking goes full-blender, full turbo-juicer even, I think the term/concept of me-powered or meat-powered will become more popular.

March 9, 2022, 6:03 a.m.

I really enjoy the challenge of riding rough sections of trail smoothly on the hardtail. Choosing different lines to my FS bike. Getting one or both wheels in the air as much as possible. Especially once I put an insert in the rear tire and could charge without fear of flatting/rim damage it became super fun to ride the HT.

I'm probably slower in some sections and faster in others vs. my FS bike, but overall it hasn't really changed where I sit in my ride crew pecking order at least for the riding I do on Vancouver Island.

March 9, 2022, 6:08 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Motor Assisted Mountain Bike.

———

I hate terms like “acoustic bike,” it’s the other that should wear the qualifier but I get why Pedelec died on the vine and why there’s so much push-back to Moped so I came up with my own term.

MAMB also distinguishes plug-in forest toys from two-wheeled electric-motor-assisted car replacements.

I'm interested to see how long the "pedal assist" part sticks around. Once partying on forest bicycle/hiking trails with motors in normalized fully the manufacturers could save a lot of money and increase rider satisfaction by moving to throttles. Perhaps with vestigial pedals for a while just to keep the peace and then pegs when they don't care about pretending anymore.

March 9, 2022, 6:40 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I'm interested to see how long the "pedal assist" part sticks around. Once partying on forest bicycle/hiking trails with motors in normalized fully the manufacturers could save a lot of money and increase rider satisfaction by moving to throttles. Perhaps with vestigial pedals for a while just to keep the peace and then pegs when they don't care about pretending anymore.

It’s a concern that’s been raised many places, many times, because certainly it would be easier (read more possible) for land managers to ban/allow all two-wheeled travel than to distinguish what qualifies as motorized v. motor-assisted v. meat-powered.

What if my motor is off and I’m doing all the pedaling? Then it’s just a heavy mountain bike.

Maybe, ‘can it be pedaled?’ becomes the qualifier?

I get dragged for bringing it up but there’s a certain sad and beautiful irony in the idea of MAMBers gate keeping the trails from essentially the same machines with throttles attached. In the last shop I worked at we were only insured to work on proper Pedelecs and I remember one particularly pushy individual who wasn’t willing to recognize the difference between his Rocky Mountain PowerPlay with a throttle at the bar and one without.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on March 9, 2022, 7:02 a.m., edited 6 times in total.