MEATengines 2022...

Dec. 21, 2022, 6:57 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

That’s a heartbreaking personal tragedy. That tiny ghost bike - holy fuck.

That article was a tough one to read. Had to take a minute there.

Dec. 21, 2022, 2:53 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Posted by: Endurimil

On a more fun thing since a frame is on its way. Was digging through the parts bins and discovered this older headset parts. No idea how I got it. Think given in 2019. That is an FSA Big Pig lower headset for I believe the lower part of tapered head tubes. Yes ball bearings. Sadly, that crown race is only for 1 1/8". For a moment thought maybe getting it machined out would work but probably thesame cost as a cheap lower headset parts.

Find a frame to put it in! 

I have a 5 Spot frame with a Pig DH Pro, it's tight and smooth. Only pity is it doesn't get ridden.

Have a new frame that is the current tapered head tube standard 44/56 semi integrated.

Dec. 21, 2022, 3:58 p.m.

Have a new frame that is the current tapered head tube standard 44/56 semi integrated.

Did you end up going with a Rootdown?

Old headset pieces are useful to keep around as spacers or bearing drivers. Someone really crafty could make a lazy susan or add a swivel to an ottoman. :)

Dec. 21, 2022, 6:28 p.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

Did you end up going with a Rootdown?

Old headset pieces are useful to keep around as spacers or bearing drivers. Someone really crafty could make a lazy susan or add a swivel to an ottoman. :)

That old headset lower would have been great if the crown race fit tapered forks.

Yes, went with the Rootdown. Arrived this morning as was about to go for an easy spin. Wasn't expecting it so fast. LOL

Have a couple of small parts to order specifically the BB and lower headset. So, taking my time with it putting everything together. Tonight, project was to spray the inside of the tubes with anti-corrosion stuff.  So it is in the workshop haning up to drop any out. Need to get some racer tape as well to cover certain areas. Top tube can take some good hits from a knee brace and good size paint chips can come off pretty quick. 

Have a 29er wheel almost done being built for it with the front next. And have a set of 27.5 plus wheels that are fully ready to go.

Dec. 21, 2022, 7:12 p.m.

Looks great. Enjoy the new ride.

Dec. 21, 2022, 7:32 p.m.

Yes, went with the Rootdown. Arrived this morning as was about to go for an easy spin. Wasn't expecting it so fast. LOL

Have a couple of small parts to order specifically the BB and lower headset. So, taking my time with it putting everything together. Tonight, project was to spray the inside of the tubes with anti-corrosion stuff.  So it is in the workshop haning up to drop any out. Need to get some racer tape as well to cover certain areas. Top tube can take some good hits from a knee brace and good size paint chips can come off pretty quick. 

Have a 29er wheel almost done being built for it with the front next. And have a set of 27.5 plus wheels that are fully ready to go.

Happy New Bike Day! Post some photos when you get it built.

I seem to remember the headset was very difficult to get into my Rootdown and my ol’ threaded rod did NOT pass muster for the task. Appeared to be reamed a touch too small…so perhaps negotiate an install if you can source a lower headset locally. Enjoy!

Dec. 21, 2022, 10:43 p.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

Happy New Bike Day! Post some photos when you get it built.

I seem to remember the headset was very difficult to get into my Rootdown and my ol’ threaded rod did NOT pass muster for the task. Appeared to be reamed a touch too small…so perhaps negotiate an install if you can source a lower headset locally. Enjoy!

Thanks for the heads up with the lower headset part. Have the headset lower and BB on order. Just wait it to be shipped. Just found the roll of polyethylene tape I forgot I had will cut a piece and put it on the old frame to see what it ends up looking like.

Dec. 22, 2022, 4:25 a.m.

You could have the first build on the 2023 HT thread....

Is it black or dark blue? What colours are go going with?

I've just put a gold Saint BB into my new dark blue Solaris and it looks quite nice.

Last edited by: fartymarty on Dec. 22, 2022, 4:28 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 22, 2022, 5:02 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

I've just put a gold Saint BB into my new dark blue Solaris and it looks quite nice.

Colour is black. Try to get a photo later today. Parts will be what was pulled from the cracked Wideangle. Just have to wait for the bb and headset parts to come though shipping might be delayed with storm incoming.

Last edited by: Endurimil on Dec. 22, 2022, 5:04 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 22, 2022, 9:38 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Colour is black. Try to get a photo later today. Parts will be what was pulled from the cracked Wideangle. Just have to wait for the bb and headset parts to come though shipping might be delayed with storm incoming.

Such a great frame! Enjoy!

Dec. 22, 2022, 9:45 p.m.

Yellow Rootdown downhill last summer…

Dec. 24, 2022, 9:45 a.m.

Dec. 24, 2022, 9:56 a.m.

Santa with the progressive rigid sled! Long chainstays, negative effective stem length, and do I see a -16* Chromag FU40 bar on the front?!

Dec. 24, 2022, 1:29 p.m.

Merry Xmas / Seasons Greetings to all y'all Meaters.

Dec. 24, 2022, 1:51 p.m.

Ho Ho Ho!