MEAT Engines 2023...

April 25, 2023, 10:14 a.m.

There are dozens and dozens of waterproof sandals. That's not hard to find. I've not found any that work for my feet as well as Crocs or Birks.

Last edited by: Vikb on April 25, 2023, 10:17 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 25, 2023, 11:14 a.m.

Have you tried the Birks made of EVA like Crocs?

https://www.birkenstock.com/us/eva-sandals/

April 25, 2023, 11:30 a.m.

Posted by: nothingfuture

Have you tried the Birks made of EVA like Crocs?

https://www.birkenstock.com/us/eva-sandals/

No. I had no idea such a beast existed. I'll definitely give them a try.

April 25, 2023, 12:13 p.m.

Even my 4 year old scoffs at my Tevas and socks.

April 25, 2023, 7:12 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Absolutely agree Andrew. My kid found his own passion (music) and is excelling at it. I couldn't be happier for him even though I have no musical talent whatsoever.

So Awesome.

I’ve worked with a lot of musicians over the years and my shop experiences have been so enriched by it even though I too have zero talent.

The bike industry is full of creative folks who need flexible work around touring, gigs, recording and I owe a lot of my eclectic taste comes from that. Deep respect for anyone doing what it takes to pay bills while chasing their dreams.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on April 25, 2023, 7:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 25, 2023, 9:46 p.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

Even my 4 year old scoffs at my Tevas and socks.

Birkensocks FTW!

And as much as I hated the concept of plastic Birks (plastic is the devil), I love the Arizona EVAs my sister got me. Wash the car or bike, go to the hottub, or the dumpster in the rain, so many uses for Birks that can get wet.

They are not as arch supportive as cork though.

Last edited by: heckler on April 25, 2023, 9:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 25, 2023, 9:49 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

but there was a time when 12-months of the year that's all I wore when I wasn't riding.

Just this evening after a ride, I was going to compliment a girl at Deep Cove for her stylish choice, and point out my matching Birkensocks.  There is no shame!

April 26, 2023, 8:32 a.m.

Ha. I just bought that Shimano chainring lock ring and bb tool yesterday. Feel free to drop by and use it.

April 30, 2023, 4:08 p.m.

Picking up the pieces after a crash gave me the feels. The last time my giant brave 7yo suddenly turned into a little kid again was the classic 'looking at the obstacle'. She stared at that tree so hard the bike couldn't help but head straight to it.

Down the bank, wailing and tangled in the bike. Hugs and tears, then back on and off up the trail.

April 30, 2023, 5:06 p.m.

Andrew; One thing I love about taking kids mountain biking is giving them the opportunity to use their judgement and make their own decisions. I have been lucky enough to ride with some exceptionally talented kids, who's judgement is often better than mine when it comes to assessing their abilities. It's so scary and hard to watch them do something that could get them seriously hurt, but trust that they know better than I do if they are ready for it. I now try not to influence them one way or another, unless I think they are being truly reckless. Honestly this almost never happens. Watching them progress and excel is the best!

May 1, 2023, 8:32 a.m.

Appreciate that video isn't for everyone, but maybe an insta 360 X3 and gorillapod...  Set it up to take video and forget it whilst you spot your youngster.   Set up is relatively quick and easy,  you can reframe after the event and capture pretty cool video and photos as well.

May 2, 2023, 9:06 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Picking up the pieces after a crash gave me the feels. 

Yeah me too. Really liked that one.

My son is what appears to be a very similar age to Andrew's daughter - and we have a similar moment after a bike scare. Or a tripping incident at the park. Or all the other stuff that builds resiliency. My daughter is four, and she's getting to that age as well, where all I can do sometimes is let her crash and figure it out for herself.

May 4, 2023, 6:33 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Ha. I just bought that Shimano chainring lock ring and bb tool yesterday. Feel free to drop by and use it.

Ha. Thanks for offer Andy! Might exhaust my local options first!

May 4, 2023, 6:42 a.m.

Posted by: skooks

Andrew; One thing I love about taking kids mountain biking is giving them the opportunity to use their judgement and make their own decisions. I have been lucky enough to ride with some exceptionally talented kids, who's judgement is often better than mine when it comes to assessing their abilities. It's so scary and hard to watch them do something that could get them seriously hurt, but trust that they know better than I do if they are ready for it. I now try not to influence them one way or another, unless I think they are being truly reckless. Honestly this almost never happens. Watching them progress and excel is the best!

This. 100%. I don’t ever push - support certainly - but my kid is excellent at knowning what she’s ready for on any given day and as she progresses. It’s actually true of most kids I’ve ridden with.

-

One of the hardest things about parenting is managing my emotions around injury. Not mountain biking specific - hockey, hiking, playgrounds, etc. most times we get right back up, other times it takes a while to heal.

Claire broke her tib & fib when she was almost-two in an accident at the playground. Not a big deal once we figured out it was broken - it wasn’t on the growth plate, she motored around in her cast, quite enjoyed the attention, and loved driving me nuts banging it on stuff to make noise. 

But the f***ing judgement from other parents was amazing and it was an important lesson. My kid is always a bit banged up and the only people who get that are the parents of other kids skating hard into corners and putting their bikes into the ground with some momentum (hopefully not too often).

May 4, 2023, 6:52 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

Or all the other stuff that builds resiliency.

It’s funny, I tease my mom regularly about how we’d come home from the forest (when my brothers and I were littles we lived backing onto an airport right of way so us and the coyotes had a little strip of trees in suburbia) frozen and mucky and then she’d hose us off in the backyard before we were allowed in.

The punchline is I’m a much nicer parent, the floors of my apartment are just dirty all the time no matter how much sweeping or vacuuming I do. But no one stands and gets hosed after a winter forest adventure.

She claims (with a twinkle in her eyes) and it’s why we’re so “resilient” which I now read as a synonym for conditioned.

(I asked her once about letting us go play by ourselves in the forest without adult supervision and she told me we - it may have been I - were so loud she knew exactly where we were and what was going on at all times. Hahaha)