MEAT Engines 2023...

April 1, 2023, 8:34 a.m.

Since James is closed now….   Does Suspensionworx service 2021 Fox mtb shock with a new bouncy bouncy feature?   Fox is a month lead-time now, and I have a race on the long weekend! ;)

And if I know how to fully service a DVO shock, whats stopping me from tearing into a DPX2, with limited to no special tools?

April 1, 2023, 8:41 a.m.

Bike shop staff - I’m joking. I know your pain first hand.  It’s just a Fiver. :o

Serious though - do I need special tools like a N2 charge to fully rebuild a DPX2 myself?  And S-Wx shows Fox (Powersports only).  Does James not service Fox mtb?

April 1, 2023, 2:37 p.m.

Referring to a April Fools post I saw on Pinkbike:

They called e-bikes a “Fitness Simulator”

I thought it belonged up there with Broped, Mountain Moped, and Boomer Scooter.

April 1, 2023, 5:08 p.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

Posted by: Endurimil

Funny thing when you mention costs spiralling. It seems that won’t have to worry about shifters and derrailleurs for a while costs wise. Keep getting old stuff given to me by club members while hey are busy upgrading to the more recent. 🤣

Yep, the 10x price spread on viable drivetrains is ridiculous. Awesome that you can leverage that into a few good freebies!

Yep. Though back in July 2007 when my daughter was born and the move for my wife's VBall coaching career really made me become more of a dirtbag. Had learned long ago back in the mid 1990's one could have a good ride and still ride well without the newest/greatest shiny parts. Having a baby and reality of all the costs believe the only reason my wife didn't get upset like others would expect her to is that everything for over a decade was bought used/second hand or as much as possible. 

Fuck have that XTR rear shifter in the drawer pulled from the Widangle 3 years ago as the parts shortage began and put on the thumbie. Funny thing is since haven't been racing haven't even thought to put it back on. LOL And as Andrew said alot can be done with a thumbie especially if your not worried about image and such. LOL

April 1, 2023, 5:31 p.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

Referring to a April Fools post I saw on Pinkbike:

They called e-bikes a “Fitness Simulator”

I thought it belonged up there with Broped, Mountain Moped, and Boomer Scooter.

My response to "Fitness Simulator".  Nailing a rock over hadn't hit as was being wary waiting for surgery.  Nailed it today with first actual ride on trails since July26th last year. Zero assist other then maybe some anger and frustration. LOL

April 1, 2023, 8:55 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

And S-Wx shows Fox (Powersports only).  Does James not service Fox mtb?

SuspensionWerx definitely services Fox Racing Shox mountain bike and powersports suspension.

I believe this brand list is up to date for folks looking at other stuff too.

April 2, 2023, 9:48 a.m.

Hammered in my third angle adjust headset of the winter, preparing hopefully for spring. I think Wolf Tooth makes the superior product. 

Markings are super clear, nice 3d press adaptors if you’re into pressing these types of things, nice double lip seal on the lower race. 

Works is a close second. Is there anything else worth looking at?

April 2, 2023, 10:57 a.m.

Brett - Superstar Components do a -2.  I've had one on my Krampus for a while.  It's not flashy bit does the job.  I have their standard headsets on my other bikes and are £40 each and work fine.

April 2, 2023, 12:29 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Brett - Superstar Components do a -2.  I've had one on my Krampus for a while.  It's not flashy bit does the job.  I have their standard headsets on my other bikes and are £40 each and work fine.

Hadn’t even considered Superstar - for whatever reason there isn’t a ton of them in Canada. Though shipping headsets is fairly economical. 

Thanks, will look.

April 3, 2023, 5:39 p.m.

3-4 day turnaround at Suspensionwerx right now, compared to 4 weeks at Fox.  Thanks Andrew!

Get your rebuilds done on your hardtail forks before the Whisgnar crew starts showing up with their gear

And no, Fox rear is not easily serviceable.  Big boo from me. Big ups to DVO, which I learned and serviced during lockdown in my basement with no special tools.

April 3, 2023, 6:27 p.m.

Damn, I wish your most recent article came out a few years ago. There's a lot of people out there with a just incredible amount of money and I live about four blocks from the store. I am certain a few people would have taken me up on the "50 dollar after hour service" over the pandemic. A missed opportunity!

"And somewhere, sometime soon, some bike mechanic (hopefully not me, but I'm far from perfect) is going to be a proper jerk to someone. And it's not because they're mean, or caustic, or disrespectful (though that's my favourite thing I've been called), or rude, or ill tempered, or in the wrong line of work, or whatever. Bikes and people can be a properly frustrating combination..."

I enjoy this. Bike mechanics have funny relationships with some people in the spring, don't they. The people who really need something from the mechanic, really want the mechanic to give them what they need, are the sole barrier to getting them what they want. But my God does that get some people's hackles up. Its a weird duality, where they're ready to pick a fight with you and also really need you more than ever. And sometimes these same people are totally sane the rest of the year. 

Buddy, it's not that complicated. We take bribes.

April 3, 2023, 6:39 p.m.

No, no, bribes are so 1980s. I think of it as direct to mechanic surge pricing.

April 3, 2023, 7:31 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Cheers! It's a story that I'm certain transcends every retail environment. One of the reasons everyone should work a retail job at some point, it's clear who's conscious of closing times and who is not.

bad news for you though, it's rampant anywhere.  I have coworkers who think that just because they got promoted for going to work at 6:00 AM, everyone else should join them in their meetings at that time.

April 3, 2023, 9:19 p.m.

No, no, bribes are so 1980s. I think of it as direct to mechanic surge pricing.

*customer walks in shop with busted bike that sat all winter*

" Now that it is warmer and riding has begun. I need my mtb fixed and need it by this Wed at noon. Can you drop the other 15 crisis bikes to get mine done now."

April 3, 2023, 11:46 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

Cheers! It's a story that I'm certain transcends every retail environment. One of the reasons everyone should work a retail job at some point, it's clear who's conscious of closing times and who is not.

bad news for you though, it's rampant anywhere. I have coworkers who think that just because they got promoted for going to work at 6:00 AM, everyone else should join them in their meetings at that time.

That’s what I’m saying. Everyone should have that special “are you open” experience in hopes that it makes them more thoughtful of other peoples’ time throughout their lives, whatever they end up doing.

Do they at least try to entice you to the 6am meetings with promises of from-scratch waffles and real maple syrup?!

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on April 3, 2023, 11:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.