MEAT Engines 2023...

March 25, 2023, 1:10 p.m.

Posted by: nickmaffei

Thanks to all for my MEAT-y cockpit. 50mm +6 Big S stem in 31.8, 31.8 Ergotec 30mm rise bar, wired Wax grips and Counterpunch. Huge improvement in hand/finger/wrist crankiness!

Now to my question - does anyone know of 12-speed XD cassettes that aren't enormous? I only see a Gabaruk 10-48 on the interwebz.

Nick, whats your verdict on the Counterpunches?

March 25, 2023, 2:34 p.m.

Spotted this new offering for high rise bars.

https://bikepacking.com/news/wilde-cardinal-bar-intro/

March 25, 2023, 3:37 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Similar shape to a Sunrise albeit 10mm less rise. Wonder how much it weighs and what you flex is like?

Last edited by: fartymarty on March 25, 2023, 3:38 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 25, 2023, 4:37 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Similar shape to a Sunrise albeit 10mm less rise. Wonder how much it weighs and what you flex is like?

Weight looks similar to the Surly, so I imagine flex is close as well. 

(I hesitate to make too many comments re. high rise bars lest Bronson takes issue again. 😳😉)

March 25, 2023, 9:05 p.m.

Cool that it’s MUSA. Made at S&M though so I imagine it’s stiff as… BMX riders are much more concerned with bars surviving meetings with concrete and not bending that they are with flex profiles in chundery terrain.

March 26, 2023, 7:10 a.m.

If they're similar weight then they'll be similar stiffness - tubes is tubes... shame.  I'm guessing I'll need to go boutique if I want something compliant.

March 26, 2023, 1:41 p.m.

And a wee bit of handlebar humour. Warning some might be triggered.🤣

March 26, 2023, 3:25 p.m.

If they're similar weight then they'll be similar stiffness - tubes is tubes... shame. I'm guessing I'll need to go boutique if I want something compliant.

I’m not convinced any of the bars with a cross brace are that compliant. Maybe the Ti ones? I haven’t tried many. There’s just such a reduced flex zone versus bars that can flex from the stem.

One of my friends has a high rise (75mm) DOOM titanium bar coming with the goal being max compliance but the application being rigid North Shore single-speeding. DOOM is doing a thicker gauge of tubing for durability but leaving out the brace for comfort - makes perfect sense?

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on March 26, 2023, 3:27 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 26, 2023, 3:35 p.m.

And a wee bit of handlebar humour. Warning some might be triggered.

Oh wow, haven't seen a Mint Sauce strip ages. So good

March 26, 2023, 3:50 p.m.

The ‘standard’ DOOM bars I just looked at are 880mm wide - that might just be enough to get along with a swept bar at my wingspan. Probably a good chance that I’ll end up like the guy in the Mint Sauce strip, but it might be worth it!

Last edited by: Blofeld on March 27, 2023, 5:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 26, 2023, 4:36 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

And a wee bit of handlebar humour. Warning some might be triggered.

Oh wow, haven't seen a Mint Sauce strip ages. So good

There is a website someone maintains for Mishun Sugworth oops mean Mint Sauce. LOL Has stuff from way back to 1988.

https://www.thisiswhy.co.uk/

March 27, 2023, 1:08 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

If they're similar weight then they'll be similar stiffness - tubes is tubes... shame. I'm guessing I'll need to go boutique if I want something compliant.

I’m not convinced any of the bars with a cross brace are that compliant. Maybe the Ti ones? I haven’t tried many. There’s just such a reduced flex zone versus bars that can flex from the stem.

One of my friends has a high rise (75mm) DOOM titanium bar coming with the goal being max compliance but the application being rigid North Shore single-speeding. DOOM is doing a thicker gauge of tubing for durability but leaving out the brace for comfort - makes perfect sense?

Cantilever deflection (with a point load at the end) is proportional to length squared therefore halfing the length means you need 1/4 of the stiffness to get the same deflection.  Therefore a lot less material is required in a braced riser.  A braced riser is structurally more efficient at it is "trussed" therefore in theory you could make a braced riser that is lighter with similar compliance (deflection).  I am guessing this is what Mone etc are doing - especially if they are custom designed around a specific rider weight / riding type.

March 27, 2023, 7:53 a.m.

Now to my question - does anyone know of 12-speed XD cassettes that aren't enormous? I only see a Gabaruk 10-48 on the interwebz.

I assume the enormous you refer to is the pizza pie pan size cassette cogs like this.

Haven't looked closely myself at current 12 speed options beyond the pizza pan size as use pretty much 8 speed myself. My gut feeling is if there is a way to achieve that you would probably have to get a couple of same brand cassette's and tear it all down to individual cogs and spacers. Then figure out what would work and how to re-assemble it. Though this kind sounds like one could potentially end up with or close what used to be called a straight block cassette where there is like one tooth size difference between each cog. Don't even know if that is possible with current mtb cassette cog's.

Posted by: Blofeld

Sram makes some 10-44,10-33 and 10-36 12s gravel cassettes (XPLR series) that may technically meet your requirements. I’m not sure if that particular groupset requires robot derailleurs to allow backpedaling without dropping the chain though.

If you could convert to an HG freehub you would have a lot more options for custom cog stacking and economical drivetrain upgrade options. Some of the Specialized Roval hubs use DT Swiss internals and can be upgraded inexpensively. Others use a form of cheese for internal pawl ratchet components and require replacement frequently. Either way, I’d advise caution when making drivetrain decisions based on hub driver standards.

Makes sense. I was hoping to keep the SRAM-patiability and drop to a lower ratio. I hardly use my 52 tooth much (even on the steepest local climbs) and it just feels like the derailleur is almost touching the dirt ha!

I wonder if the HG is a good move to go Shimrano...thanks for the help Blofeld + Endurimil!

March 27, 2023, 7:55 a.m.

Thanks to all for my MEAT-y cockpit. 50mm +6 Big S stem in 31.8, 31.8 Ergotec 30mm rise bar, wired Wax grips and Counterpunch. Huge improvement in hand/finger/wrist crankiness!

Nick, whats your verdict on the Counterpunches?

They're pretty good. I've used them a few times so far. Only once as advertised (before I tightened to torque spec) and they worked and spun around. Since then, solid. I wonder though if hand guards would be a bit more useful. But the key advantage is how low profile they are. 

Verdict is, if you've hit your pinky finger lately, give them a shot I'd say.

March 27, 2023, 8:10 a.m.

I lucked into a cheap unused Whisky Milhouse carbon riser that was probably an impulse buy that had to be sold in a hurry. I don’t usually ride carbon bars but the crossbar reassures me. It doesn’t seem overly stiff on my rigid plus/fat bike which is still a rigid bike even with big tires. It’s only 225g which makes me wonder if they designed the layup lighter accounting for the more rigid crossbar structure. Sure is expensive at MSRP tho.