MEAT Engines 2023...

March 22, 2023, 4:31 p.m.

So assume this rebirth of thru axle mounted derailleurs comes with some kind of catch for our own good?

March 22, 2023, 4:46 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor
The Chris King hubs are the new version of their hub, just in a 6-Bolt package. They are not the old hub coming back. There’s no needle bearing supporting the axle in the freehub driver.

Are you still seeing those hubs coming in with clanking issues? A few people were writing about it on MTBR last summer, but that thread has been quiet for a while now. A batch of driveshells were out of tolerance, apparently. It didn’t seem like a good reason to scrap the new (less drag, longer service intervals) design. Any other intel to share?

March 22, 2023, 6:34 p.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

The Chris King hubs are the new version of their hub, just in a 6-Bolt package. They are not the old hub coming back. There’s no needle bearing supporting the axle in the freehub driver.

Are you still seeing those hubs coming in with clanking issues? A few people were writing about it on MTBR last summer, but that thread has been quiet for a while now. A batch of driveshells were out of tolerance, apparently. It didn’t seem like a good reason to scrap the new (less drag, longer service intervals) design. Any other intel to share?

Who told you the new version has longer service intervals? That hasn’t been my experience at all. Long term maintenance costs will be higher with the new version too as the bearings are expensive to replace and less supported without the needle bearing.

I will give you less initial drag. The new hubs don’t have the break-in period of the old ones. I don’t see that as a net positive but I can see the other side.

I haven’t experienced clunking or out of tolerance drive shells. But for folks who ride a lot the creak chasing projects are for real.

Quite happy to have a set of the last gen Boost hubs with a needle bearing in the driver and we have two other sets of 142/135 in regular use in my household and my brother has a pair of older hubs on both his rigs. Fantastic long term purchases all.

I wouldn’t actively dissuade anyone who wants a new King hub from buying it but I’d be buying something else personally and that’s what I say when asked.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on March 22, 2023, 6:37 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
March 22, 2023, 8:36 p.m.

I wouldn’t actively dissuade anyone who wants a new King hub from buying it but I’d be buying something else personally and that’s what I say when asked.

I am also skeptical of the new King design. For me, they’ve earned the same 2-year probation as DT Swiss after the gaffs around the 240 EXP launch. I do respect that King has listened to their customers and brought back 6-bolt hubs and largely treated the creak-seekers well. Still, it’s a huge letdown compared to the reliability of their legacy product.

After writing the above I realize that I’ll no longer be able to claim that I did a thorough multi-year a/b test to validate my service interval and drag statements. Fiddlesticks. I just see extra seals in the new system and whenever I’ve looked at sad old King or Hadley hubs the needle bearing is always the most contaminated. I’d guess the 6 series bearing is cheaper to replace as well, although it probably does have less load capacity.

So what is the recommendation in place of Kings now? 321s? Hydras with aftermarket bearings? I’ve been collecting old DT 350s but I know the engagement isn’t ideal for everyone.

Last edited by: Blofeld on March 23, 2023, 8:15 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 22, 2023, 9:10 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

So assume this rebirth of thru axle mounted derailleurs comes with some kind of catch for our own good?

Hmmm, the fact that anyone who buys AXS v2 for the increased durability could already afford to replace normal components much more frequently is sort of a Catch-22. Do you mean physically catching the parade of reviewers and (soon) bike shop employees standing on and falling off of these derailleurs?

March 22, 2023, 10:25 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Hmmm, the fact that anyone who buys AXS v2 for the increased durability could already afford to replace normal components much more frequently is sort of a Catch-22. Do you mean physically catching the parade of reviewers and (soon) bike shop employees standing on and falling off of these derailleurs?

Seen on a photo earlier today of someone doing it. Then saw a mention today on the Paragon Machine works IG account. All can think of is great another fucking “standard” or “idea” reborn depending on how one views it.

Last edited by: Endurimil on March 22, 2023, 10:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 23, 2023, 7:11 a.m.

The ‘new’ standard has been out for years. It’s just the UDH (Universal Derailleur Hanger) with the dangly part hard mounted to the derailleur and then bolted to the frame.

March 23, 2023, 7:52 a.m.

I think they may have done this just for you, Andrew. Actually, I love their quote, "There's no demand quite like popular demand". Here, here!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/chris-king-brings-back-6-bolt-option.html

Last edited by: mammal on March 23, 2023, 7:54 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 23, 2023, 8:28 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

I think they may have done this just for you, Andrew. Actually, I love their quote, "There's no demand quite like popular demand". Here, here!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/chris-king-brings-back-6-bolt-option.html

Nah, if they did it for me they’d have put the needle bearing back in the freehub driver.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on March 23, 2023, 8:30 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 24, 2023, 3:34 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Spotted this a while ago,

https://www.rivbike.com/products/cassettes-7

These look awesome.  Need to find someone in UK with them.

Interesting. Very.

March 24, 2023, 8:03 a.m.

Thanks to all for my MEAT-y cockpit. 50mm +6 Big S stem in 31.8, 31.8 Ergotec 30mm rise bar, wired Wax grips and Counterpunch. Huge improvement in hand/finger/wrist crankiness!

Now to my question - does anyone know of 12-speed XD cassettes that aren't enormous? I only see a Gabaruk 10-48 on the interwebz.

March 24, 2023, 9:20 p.m.

Posted by: nickmaffei

Now to my question - does anyone know of 12-speed XD cassettes that aren't enormous? I only see a Gabaruk 10-48 on the interwebz.

I assume the enormous you refer to is the pizza pie pan size cassette cogs like this.

Haven't looked closely myself at current 12 speed options beyond the pizza pan size as use pretty much 8 speed myself. My gut feeling is if there is a way to achieve that you would probably have to get a couple of same brand cassette's and tear it all down to individual cogs and spacers. Then figure out what would work and how to re-assemble it. Though this kind sounds like one could potentially end up with or close what used to be called a straight block cassette where there is like one tooth size difference between each cog. Don't even know if that is possible with current mtb cassette cog's.

Last edited by: Endurimil on March 24, 2023, 9:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 24, 2023, 10:27 p.m.

Sram makes some 10-44,10-33 and 10-36 12s gravel cassettes (XPLR series) that may technically meet your requirements. I’m not sure if that particular groupset requires robot derailleurs to allow backpedaling without dropping the chain though.

If you could convert to an HG freehub you would have a lot more options for custom cog stacking and economical drivetrain upgrade options. Some of the Specialized Roval hubs use DT Swiss internals and can be upgraded inexpensively. Others use a form of cheese for internal pawl ratchet components and require replacement frequently. Either way, I’d advise caution when making drivetrain decisions based on hub driver standards.

March 25, 2023, 12:01 a.m.

Some of the Specialized Roval hubs use DT Swiss internals and can be upgraded inexpensively. Others use a form of cheese for internal pawl ratchet components and require replacement frequently. Either way, I’d advise caution when making drivetrain decisions based on hub driver standards.

Good word of caution. I should really have a look behind my freehub to see what's in there.

March 25, 2023, 3 a.m.

Re: Darwins Shitter.

Keep up the good work 'Drew. It's probably exhausting, boring and disheartening, but it's a public service.

From the other side of the world, in what looks like a slightly more bike-friendly city, sharing your transit rage whenever trying to shepherd the kids safely through the wolves.

Last edited by: velocipedestrian on March 25, 2023, 3 a.m., edited 1 time in total.