MEAT Engines 2023...

March 17, 2023, 3:28 p.m.

I’ve see a few things, but I’ve yet to see anyone riding North Shore mountain bike trails with their device mounted to their handlebar - rain or shine.

March 17, 2023, 5:17 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

I’ve see a few things, but I’ve yet to see anyone riding North Shore mountain bike trails with their device mounted to their handlebar - rain or shine.

See out in Ontario all the time.  Hard no for me as it to me is a bad idea. Plus I ride often in areas with questionable cell reception. so navigation wise which some have claimed mounting on bar/stem would be useful to me  would be bad thing.  One is far better actually stopping to check where they are.

March 17, 2023, 5:17 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Posted by: Endurimil

Posted by: Hepcat

Bars schmars. Look at that HMPL phone case. Hubba.

https://meatengines.com/f/the-7-steps-to-custom---two-the-builder

If HMPL ever makes a phone case that straps on to the front of a pack that is something I would purchase with alacrity.

Think the biggest challenge to making those is the variations in phone sizes. Was using one that was for military use but phones are now to big for it. See more of the pouches for backs in the baclpacking world,

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/products/shoulder-pocket

Nice.

There's a variety of phone shapes around, though the 6"x3" Apple/Android size seems pretty ubiquitous. Always picking up the wrong phone at get-togethers because they're all the same size and I'm indifferent.

Looks like there's a hole in the market for a proper quick access waterproof phone pocket. Lots of options for finicky slow to open zippered jobs which are useless in general, especially in a quick access location. 

There are some poor schmucks out there that need to access a phone quickly with one hand while riding, especially those that are riding while "working". Handy for navigation, etc too.

By accident just found this while looking for something else.

https://geartrade.ca/products/hilltop-packs-cell-phone-shoulder-pouch-shoulder-strap-mount

March 17, 2023, 6:08 p.m.

Andrew, Haven't seen much talk of singlespeed mountain bikes in Ontario. Think been over 10 years now since the big singlespeed craze of the Misfit Cycles era. And pretty much all of them are now on expensive milk foamers now. LOL

https://nsmb.com/articles/min-max-ardens-aluminum-rsd-middlechild/

March 17, 2023, 8:39 p.m.

Andrew, Haven't seen much talk of singlespeed mountain bikes in Ontario. Think been over 10 years now since the big singlespeed craze of the Misfit Cycles era. And pretty much all of them are now on expensive milk foamers now. LOL

That’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time. I’d say their heyday was 2008-ish though I think the brand itself started maybe twenty years ago?

If memory serves, some (maybe all?) of their frames were made here in BC at Yess.

Anyway, yeah, there was a (absolutely relative) decent sized single-speed contingent back east. But many of the biggest one-speed evangelists I knew/knew-of have moved on, everywhere.

March 17, 2023, 9:30 p.m.

That’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time. I’d say their heyday was 2008-ish though I think the brand itself started maybe twenty years ago?

If memory serves, some (maybe all?) of their frames were made here in BC at Yess.

Anyway, yeah, there was a (absolutely relative) decent sized single-speed contingent back east. But many of the biggest one-speed evangelists I knew/knew-of have moved on, everywhere.

Think was big up till 2012. The guy who was behind it think he is big on moto now days. Now days only see a handful of guys actually ride single speed if that.  Well maybe should say more the riders who do it because it is who they are and so on not because it is in or the cool thing to do.

Though should point out they were 29ers back when a lot of 29er geometry wasn’t great and had a long way to go before they reached what the Rootdown and RSD Middlechild are at for example.

March 17, 2023, 9:31 p.m.

I’ve ridden with a Quadlock case and handlebar mount when I want to be able to navigate with trailforks while on the trail. Works well but I think I’d smash it eventually if I rode with it there all the time/I don’t want my phone in front of me when I’m bikin. I commonly use it while road bikin (on a Morsa mount) and it’s great for that.

If you really have to smash work and bikin together (sigh) Apple Watch lets you be in touch if you really need to, allowing for quick review of any communication and then decide if you need to pull the phone out to go further.

Last edited by: tashi on March 17, 2023, 9:34 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 17, 2023, 11:35 p.m.

Andrew, irony as last December  had a conversation about this kinda crap.

https://meatengines.com/f/darwin-takes-over-your-deaths-not-a-crime-pt-3

March 18, 2023, 7:28 a.m.

Andrew, irony as last December  had a conversation about this kinda crap.

https://meatengines.com/f/darwin-takes-over-your-deaths-not-a-crime-pt-3

Is it irony, or just really sad?

The simple fact is that if cities treated bike lanes like other infrastructure (roads) this shit would never happen. Vehicles would be towed, bylaw would be out there issuing fines, and snow and detritus would be cleared.

March 18, 2023, 12:33 p.m.

I must assume the right side of the road is a parking lot for automobiles.  Thus not to infringe on the rights of the users of automobiles I ride to the left of the parking lane . 

Yes the lane to the right with cute bicycle images is also a parking space for construction debris and automobiles.  Again to enable these user groups to have access to said lane I ride to the left of this parking spot . Sorry bike lane ? 

This crucial parking spot for automobiles and construction equipment is clearly displayed all over North Vancouver and in every other district.   

I feel it's imperative that cyclist leave the right hand lane open for parking and create a dangerous and selfish act when considering riding to the far right . 

I'm quite certain by the amount of cars parked on the right hand side that the city of North vancouver is adamant about cyclist riding to the left of the right lane . 

I commute full time by bike . I am most serious when I say bike lanes are very dangerous.   Taking up the whole road may upset some over entitlement red necks and soccer moms . Fuck em I prefer to not get sucked under a dump truck .

March 18, 2023, 1:21 p.m.

Seven Steps to Separate Oneself from Solvency

I enjoyed this very much as a single article, although the forum bleed through and custom part images were nice to see as the steps trickled out. Mainly the articles brought back good memories from my own custom build, and kinda makes me want to commission something else…truculent. I love this term by the way. If the V2 Walt was mine I’d consider rechristening it.

For me, the stress (or the work) in my process was front end loaded. Once I figured out that I’d be able to clear a 4” tire on a 157/83 frame and decided that one Waltworks was a better idea than two revisions of Waltly or Merino frames, it was all gravy. Reading and rereading the V2 Review for some non-fatbike long chainstay context, was helpful for gaining confidence in what I was doing at the time, obviously.

Last edited by: Blofeld on March 18, 2023, 1:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 18, 2023, 2:56 p.m.

Posted by: GB

I must assume the right side of the road is a parking lot for automobiles.  Thus not to infringe on the rights of the users of automobiles I ride to the left of the parking lane . 

Yes the lane to the right with cute bicycle images is also a parking space for construction debris and automobiles.  Again to enable these user groups to have access to said lane I ride to the left of this parking spot . Sorry bike lane ? 

This crucial parking spot for automobiles and construction equipment is clearly displayed all over North Vancouver and in every other district.   

I feel it's imperative that cyclist leave the right hand lane open for parking and create a dangerous and selfish act when considering riding to the far right . 

I'm quite certain by the amount of cars parked on the right hand side that the city of North vancouver is adamant about cyclist riding to the left of the right lane . 

I commute full time by bike . I am most serious when I say bike lanes are very dangerous.   Taking up the whole road may upset some over entitlement red necks and soccer moms . Fuck em I prefer to not get sucked under a dump truck .

WTF? Am I reading?

March 18, 2023, 4:12 p.m.

Sarcastic humor or a vicious rant about the ignorant cunts that have taken over the right hand lane that used to be the appropriate place for cyclist to avoid death . Now it's a parking lot often reducing two lanes into one narrow path for automobiles. Such as the street I live on. It's a rant about cyclist dying because automobiles are considered imperative and bikes are just toys . It's definitely an observation that cycling lanes may make you feel safe . That false sense of security will get get you killed if you don't take action . 

If you don't commute by bicycle.  My apologies you probably have no clue what I am discussing.

March 18, 2023, 6:29 p.m.

Posted by: GB

Sarcastic humor or a vicious rant about the ignorant cunts that have taken over the right hand lane that used to be the appropriate place for cyclist to avoid death . Now it's a parking lot often reducing two lanes into one narrow path for automobiles. Such as the street I live on. It's a rant about cyclist dying because automobiles are considered imperative and bikes are just toys . It's definitely an observation that cycling lanes may make you feel safe . That false sense of security will get get you killed if you don't take action . 

If you don't commute by bicycle.  My apologies you probably have no clue what I am discussing.

Got it now. Was trying to figure out if was or not sarcasm. 

14 days ago was the 4th year anniversary of being maimed by a driver. Interesting 4 years so far. 😜🤣🤣

March 19, 2023, 1:17 a.m.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/in-defence-of-cycling-on-the-pavement/

Something that popped up in my google news.

It follows from https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-64824436.amp

I'm a pavement cyclist when needed but will give way to pedestrians and not ride silly fast.  If the pavement is empty is it wrong to use it if the road isn't suitable?  I would argue it's fair game.