MEAT Engines 2023...

March 16, 2023, 5:15 a.m.

The 7 Steps To Custom

Andrew - It's and interesting read.  Can't wait for 7.  

I'm not sure I could go down the custom route - take bars / stem for example - 3-4 years after trying the SQ16 i'm still going between 12-16 degrees bars and playing around with stem lengths.  I think first I would need to get to a place where I really knew what I wanted and it couldn't be achieved by conventional means.  Like V2 for example - no one makes a bike that's close to this therefore I see how you got to it.  With my bikes (Murmur and Solaris Max) they both work prettty much how I want them to work - I guess it would be nice to have sliding dropouts* on both but it would be one more variable in a long list of variables but I'm glad you are trying these things tho.

* a Moxie would solve this problem...

March 16, 2023, 6:57 a.m.

I think Andrew gets this right- the nerves about taking on the responsibility of a design and being accountable (to yourself, at least) for it's success/failure.

I've gone custom a few times now- first, many years ago, a road bike- and that was a lot less worrisome. Because road geo is (relatively) established and it was mostly a matter of fit, I could trust the builder to measure me and look at me on a bike and get the fit right. The fun was picking tubing and lugs and paint and whatever.

But when I did my custom Walt, it was way harder- I was out on a limb with the geo and sizing, and while Walt was helpful, he didn't really... impose? much. Like, he was happy to build what I wanted (and did offer feedback and advice), but it was clear the choice was mine, you know? And then there were no lugs to choose or tubing to select or whatever. It was way more nerve-racking to take it for a first ride compared to the road bike. This wasn't like trying out a new part or putting a longer-travel fork on the bike that could be reversed- the geo was the geo, and I was on the hook for it.

It feels like there are two reasons to need custom: either you're a size or proportion that makes it a requirement, or you have geo needs that aren't being met by the market. There are, obviously, plenty of reasons beyond that- but I'd wager those are wants more than needs.

March 16, 2023, 7:53 a.m.

Cheers, 

I’ve measured folks for custom road bikes so it’s funny that it didn’t come to mind writing this series. I guess, for the most part, that’s really an extension of fit principles within a fairly established range.

Custom mountain rigs get interesting as folks try to package longer front centers, or shorter chainstays, and slacker or steeper seat tube angles, or head tube angles, and bar height, and it gets beyond a bike that fits optimally to where a bike that still fits is amazing. 

“…while Walt was helpful, he didn't really... impose? much. Like, he was happy to build what I wanted (and did offer feedback and advice), but it was clear the choice was mine, you know?”

Once you’re beyond fitting an established geometry package or brand like said road bike or maybe very long established mountain frame builders who have a set geometry/use case/schtick this is how it goes. 

Our ideas have to obey basic mathematical geometry rules but really who’s to say a 64-HTA on a rigid bike is too slack? Before I dropped into my first descent I was relieved by how well my V2 climbed because if it had been a chore I would have been sat at the top of the first trail in a panic.

March 16, 2023, 8:01 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

I'm not sure I could go down the custom route - take bars / stem for example - 3-4 years after trying the SQ16 i'm still going between 12-16 degrees bars and playing around with stem lengths.  I think first I would need to get to a place where I really knew what I wanted and it couldn't be achieved by conventional means.  Like V2 for example - no one makes a bike that's close to this therefore I see how you got to it. 

Cheers!

With V2 I just had to know, but the idea was coming straight out of my brain because I’d never ridden a hardtail with as long a rear center or front center. Never mind a rigid bike as slack. I also loved my V1 as it was on the trails I was comfortable riding it down - the idea of V2 taking over on the trails I could ride V1 down. 

The bar is different. Despite my testing various things I’ve consistently gone back to the “high” version of an SQLab 16 30X and my 31mm NSB stem. I wanted slightly different geometry and I wanted to play -ve ESL but as long as Em could match the bar roll I was confident it would be fun. It’s actually more fun, which is rad.

March 16, 2023, 8:49 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor
“…while Walt was helpful, he didn't really... impose? much. Like, he was happy to build what I wanted (and did offer feedback and advice), but it was clear the choice was mine, you know?”

Once you’re beyond fitting an established geometry package or brand like said road bike or maybe very long established mountain frame builders who have a set geometry/use case/schtick this is how it goes. 

It's totally how it goes- and I think that's what makes it so scary sometimes. Having the confidence in your idea to make a substantial outlay in funds for something maybe nobody else has tried... there's a pucker factor involved. I didn't mean that as any sort of knock on Walt, btw- he was excellent to work with. But, again, compared to the custom road bikes I've done, it was a very, very different emotional experience.

I have no regrets whatsoever.

March 16, 2023, 1:29 p.m.

Our ideas have to obey basic mathematical geometry rules but really who’s to say a 64-HTA on a rigid bike is too slack? Before I dropped into my first descent I was relieved by how well my V2 climbed because if it had been a chore I would have been sat at the top of the first trail in a panic.

Worst case you could have stuck a reversed angleset in it and steepen it by a degree or two.  This is why i'm not overly bothered about going custom as long as the CS is long enough and STA / Reach are in the right ballpark.  I reckon you could get close enough.

What I have found interesting (after much playing around) is how you can adapt to different setups and after a while they feel normal.

March 16, 2023, 3:43 p.m.

Bars schmars. Look at that HMPL phone case. Hubba.

https://meatengines.com/f/the-7-steps-to-custom---two-the-builder

If HMPL ever makes a phone case that straps on to the front of a pack that is something I would purchase with alacrity.

March 16, 2023, 4:23 p.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

Hello and welcome!

I honestly didn’t look at the dimensions of your device closely enough to determine if it was net positive to RAD.  My idea was that the cockpit size would be increased less than if you pinned the reach (and stem size) and added headtube length. I agree that headtube spacers are net positive for cockpit size, so I think we’re on the same page here.

As to your other point, I’ll note that custom bars can be commissioned for a more conventional look and user specific angles… Have you considered offering a high-rise, negative ESL corrected handlebar? Nice looking, US machined, 0 or 10mm or 20mm stems (that play nice mounted backward) might also find a niche.

Love the experimentation, best of luck!

Thank you!

I agree that running the RR stem increases the RAD less than if you pinned the reach and stem length as fixed parameters, and then added headtube length when making a frame, or even if you achieved the height with spacers on a traditional setup. I take it that is why you mentioned no additional wheelbase with the RR stem, due to the increased front center you would achieve with the longer headtube by in a sense extending the front end down and out from below the headtube instead of up and back from above it like running spacers would do.

I did consider achieving the position of the RR stem via a custom designed riser bar run with a traditional stem. There would still be the issue of that you would majorly change the geometry with different bar rolls, and you would be more reliant on a tight grip at the stem clamp to keep it from slipping forward or back on hard hits. I even considered doing a one piece bar stem unit similar to what Peter Verdone of PVD has done, but I didn't like how the grip angles would be fixed. That would be fine if I were making them just for me, but other people will have other preferences, and those preference may change in different conditions. I don't really want to do custom orders either. I even considered doing a custom bar stem combo that would have adjustable grips that were angled from the bar. I still may do something like that someday because if the angle was made in the grips, roll adjustments wouldn't really change ESL, and alternate angle grips could be made to allow differences in backsweep. The main issue I had with that idea was making sure the left and right grips were properly mirroring each other. Ultimately, I believe that getting the height and offset mostly from the stem and a traditional bar allows the most room for fine tuning your cockpit feel without majorly modifying the performance benefits that the RR stem achieves. You can fine tune height by running spacers above or below the steerer tube clamp, or playing with higher or lower rise bars, and you can make adjustments to bar roll for comfort without majorly moving your hands forward and back like you would with a bar that achieved this geometry alone.

Nice looking US machined 15mm offset stems that play nice with being mounted backward IS my niche! You can find them here!

Click here to see the BMB RR Stem!

March 16, 2023, 4:27 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

If HMPL ever makes a phone case that straps on to the front of a pack that is something I would purchase with alacrity.

The design they came up with is fairly universal. Top mount is the cross-strap that the hose from a bladder you run under and most packs have them in a similar place.

If they did a production run I’d buy a second one. Maybe I’ll ask…

March 16, 2023, 4:41 p.m.

🍺

March 16, 2023, 7:03 p.m.

It’s going to come down to riding multiple -ve ESL bikes and seeing where it works and where it doesn’t.

My gut is that I’d be sizing up and looking for very stable bikes as starting points.

Good point re. bar roll though. It would make it easier to experiment if I had a bar/stem ready to slap on any bike.

I have rented and owned a number of bikes during my 2.5 year development period for the RR stem. I have tested all kinds of heights and offsets during that time always bench marking against the traditional 50mm - 35mm stem. The RR stem that I now sell is the culmination of all that testing to find the best Enduro mtb stem geometry. This is a list of some bikes I used during testing:

1. I owned a 26" evil uprising in size L.
  2. I rented a 29" Yeti SB130 in size XL.
  3. I rented a 29" Evil Offering in size L.
  4. I owned a 29" YT Capra in size XXL.
  5. I rented a 29" Santa Cruz Hightower in size M.
  6. I owned a 29" Banshee Titan in size L.
  7. I used and raced a 27.5" Structure SCW1 in size M at Sea Otter.
  8. I owned a 29" Trek Slash in size ML.
  9. I've extensively ridden my friends 29" Scott Genius in size L much like if I did own it while holding onto it for him because he works in a different state.

For reference I am 5'8". Of the bikes I owned, I also did a lot of experimenting with mixed wheel sizes and geo tweaks. Between those bikes, I have tested frame reaches of about 420mm to 500mm. All of those bikes rode better with an RR stem, and of the ones I did timed testing on, I was consistently considerably faster over multiple runs with the RR stem compared to a traditional 50mm - 35mm stem.

March 16, 2023, 8:23 p.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

Bronson’s comments on the original article are worth a reread. I don’t totally agree with his opinions re. traction and weight distribution. I think his view is likely formed from riding in places where the traction is generally very high, which is fair. I really like the innovative space from which he’s operating. 

Speaking of sizing up…from the photo in the article it looks like he’s on an XXL YT. At 5’8”.

My view of traction and weight distribution for riding with the RR stem does not come from riding in places where the traction is generally high. I'm from SoCal, and most of the trails I ride are either dry loose dirt over hardpack, or just dry loose dirt and dust. Hero dirt is rare and short lived due to the infrequent rains, and loam isn't a thing. I have ridden a couple times in active rain with slippery mud. One of those times was during an Enduro race that I won. Control in loose and slippery conditions is actually one of the strong suits of the RR stem. My views of a more rearward weight bias in corners and turns comes from observation, and experimentation. Most riders are actually loading the rear more in tight turns even when they do not realize it. You can observe this easiest watching someone on a full suspension bike riding tighter turns particularly in slomo. You will often see when someone gets a turn really clean, smooth, and fast that the rear suspension compresses more than the front as they load the bike through the turn. Sometimes the front even lifts off the ground as the bike exits the turn. This is because the rear is seeing a higher loading than the front. This is also part of why riders tend to run higher tire pressures in the rear, and why burping a rear tire when schralping a turn is more common than the front. In general, since the chassis is suspended, watching the suspension is a good way to see where and when the bike is being loaded.

While it is true that I rode an XXL YT Capra with a 500mm reach at 5'8" with the RR stem, that bike was part of an extended test to see if you needed a bigger bike to run the RR stem. My verdict was that you do not. I have come to using a roughly 460mm reach for my height with the RR stem as being a good fit. I currently ride a 2021 Trek Slash 8 in size ML.

March 17, 2023, 12:49 p.m.

Think the biggest challenge to making those is the variations in phone sizes.  Was using one that was for military use but phones are now to big for it. See more of the pouches for backs in the baclpacking world,

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/products/shoulder-pocket

March 17, 2023, 2:01 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Think the biggest challenge to making those is the variations in phone sizes. Was using one that was for military use but phones are now to big for it. See more of the pouches for backs in the baclpacking world,

Nice.

There's a variety of phone shapes around, though the 6"x3" Apple/Android size seems pretty ubiquitous. Always picking up the wrong phone at get-togethers because they're all the same size and I'm indifferent.

Looks like there's a hole in the market for a proper quick access waterproof phone pocket. Lots of options for finicky slow to open zippered jobs which are useless in general, especially in a quick access location. 

There are some poor schmucks out there that need to access a phone quickly with one hand while riding, especially those that are riding while "working". Handy for navigation, etc too.

Last edited by: Hepcat on March 17, 2023, 2:23 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 17, 2023, 3:14 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Think the biggest challenge to making those is the variations in phone sizes. Was using one that was for military use but phones are now to big for it. See more of the pouches for backs in the baclpacking world,

Nice.

There's a variety of phone shapes around, though the 6"x3" Apple/Android size seems pretty ubiquitous. Always picking up the wrong phone at get-togethers because they're all the same size and I'm indifferent.

Looks like there's a hole in the market for a proper quick access waterproof phone pocket. Lots of options for finicky slow to open zippered jobs which are useless in general, especially in a quick access location. 

There are some poor schmucks out there that need to access a phone quickly with one hand while riding, especially those that are riding while "working". Handy for navigation, etc too.

Think there is a hole. Pretty much all the cell phone options see riders are using is bar and stem type mounts. Myself am not a fan of it and that is mostly as too bloody easy to smash of things and what not. Some would say use things like a Revelate Mag Tank or the Feedbag to hold it but that is taking away what those two would be more used for really like holding that extra bodin or food. 

And now days since most mtb clothing like vests no longer have the three rear pockets like the old Core Rat vest only other option is it is buried in your pack. 

Rather see stuff available to allow one to access the phone easier. Maybe one of the more creative after market bike gear types would be willing to make something like that.