MEAT Engines 2023...

Feb. 27, 2023, 9:38 a.m.

Its always bugged me that the prices of a nice, basic kids bike with altus, rim brakes, and a rigid fork are usually within striking distance of a basic adult bike with a suspension fork, a slightly more complex drivetrain, proper cranks, and hydraulic (or better yet, mechanical in this price bracket) disc brakes. Sure, around here we'd take the rigid fork over the crappy "suspension" fork any day of the week, and the failure rate out of those brakes is also not zero, but come on, all that adds costs that aren't there on the kids bike - it feels like it should add up to more than a 70-100 CAD price bump. 

Economies of scale are a harsh mistress.

Last edited by: Jotegir on Feb. 27, 2023, 9:41 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
Feb. 27, 2023, 2:07 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

@MrB, you’re not wrong about the drilling from a mechanical perspective. As I noted, it would likely be unnoticeable to my kid. Actually, mechanically, I find the paint markings much more concerning as they appear to be an obvious acknowledgment of a known issue.

But also, it’s not a big box bike. It’s a machine that sells for 2x to 3x the price of a Canadian Tire rig. In my mind - and this piece is questioning if my expectations are fair - I feel justified in expecting a certain basic quality and pride of manufacturing in a basic rig at this price.

Yeah, the paint mark is a real head scratcher!

Fully agree, it's a "real bike", aka "bike shop bike" and I also have a belief in my heart that those are of a higher standard when it comes to both visible and invisible things. Maybe that belief is based on flawed reasoning these days.

Feb. 27, 2023, 4:10 p.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

“Brand Name BSOs”

I’m stealing this terminology harder than Cannondale stole ‘Freeride.’

Copyrighted, trademarked, patented, and I’m currently doctoring proof of 100 years of prior use. Mine. 

Hahaha, I’ll be watching for the stealth blog update.

It was worth it to strike a brand from my 20” shopping list. Not to mention the hot tip to use paint marker on non-greased, non-threadlocked bolts! 

(Speaking of, do you think the bb was loose enough to come unthreaded completely with that troublesome crank arm still attached???)

Feb. 27, 2023, 5:34 p.m.

“Brand Name BSOs”

Copyrighted, trademarked, patented, and I’m currently doctoring proof of 100 years of prior use. Mine. 

It was worth it to strike a brand from my 20” shopping list. Not to mention the hot tip to use paint marker on non-greased, non-threadlocked bolts! 

(Speaking of, do you think the bb was loose enough to come unthreaded completely with that troublesome crank arm still attached???)

Hahahaha. No stealth updates.

------

Actually, the drive side cup was in the frame so tight I'd like to see the breaker bar or massive forearm that was used to install it.

Feb. 27, 2023, 6:58 p.m.

Actually, the drive side cup was in the frame so tight I'd like to see the breaker bar or massive forearm that was used to install it.

I see. Clearly you and I have different concepts of a "fart-load".

Feb. 27, 2023, 7:58 p.m.

I see. Clearly you and I have different concepts of a "fart-load".

When you load up the hex-key so much that you fart?

Hahaha. You were thinking tightened with a light breeze? I see how that’s confusing.

March 1, 2023, 10:35 a.m.

“Brand Name BSOs”

Hahahaha. No stealth updates.

------

Guessing was installed by some genius with a high toque impact gun. Dealt with one like that in 2008 on the GT Peace 9r had at the time. As recall soaked the shit out of it with liquid wrench for a few days. Put the BB tool in the shop vice, pulled the wheels and slowly turned the frame to back out the cup. 

Drive side was bone dry and definitely torqued in. And was completely for the wrong size BB shell width.

LOL was funny the looks on the rookie mechanics faces and a few customers as me and the other old mechanic did this.

March 1, 2023, 2:07 p.m.

I remember seeing that move used for the first time, big lightbulb moment for 14 year old me. I’ve used the “move the object instead of the tool” approach to get more leverage landscaping and as a carpenter to great success.

March 1, 2023, 3:25 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

I remember seeing that move used for the first time, big lightbulb moment for 14 year old me. I’ve used the “move the object instead of the tool” approach to get more leverage landscaping and as a carpenter to great success.

Also a good way to prevent the tool slips and hand smashes into something followed by various creative wording being used.

March 1, 2023, 4:52 p.m.

Apparently today there was some big parts announcement that I don’t really care about.

Meanwhile I went for a ride today.

March 1, 2023, 4:54 p.m.

You also generally have way more leverage pushing on the bike than you do pushing on the tool which allows you to use much less force. You can be apply that force way more carefully since you're not HOLYFUCKTHISISSOFUCKINGSTUCKITSNEVERCOMINGOUTGODDAMNITJESUSCHRISTWEREPUSHINGSOHARD-ing it.

March 1, 2023, 8:29 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Apparently today there was some big parts announcement that I don’t really care about.

Hahaha - You mean the I9 headset release doesn’t excite you? It’s got 8 colours and 690 points of engagement so you don’t have to ride in a hexagon shaped path anymore! 

How’s the new Rootdown frame working out?

March 2, 2023, 1:28 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Hahaha - You mean the I9 headset release doesn’t excite you? It’s got 8 colours and 690 points of engagement so you don’t have to ride in a hexagon shaped path anymore!

How’s the new Rootdown frame working out?

Thought it was something Shimano related but wasn’t interested in the click bait based on something that sounds like something the English love to do.🤣🤣🤣

Rootdown is good so far. Now if winter would kindly fuck off now.😝🤣

Last edited by: Endurimil on March 2, 2023, 1:30 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
March 4, 2023, 9:15 a.m.

On the best price point kids 24” super commuter, I don’t think you’ll go wrong with the REI bikes:

$439 usd and we didn’t need to do any immediate upgrades. Put the dropper and tubeless minions on after we wore through the semislick Recon style wire bead tires.

Last edited by: yardrec on March 4, 2023, 9:19 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 4, 2023, 4:54 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

You also generally have way more leverage pushing on the bike than you do pushing on the tool which allows you to use much less force. You can be apply that force way more carefully since you're not HOLYFUCKTHISISSOFUCKINGSTUCKITSNEVERCOMINGOUTGODDAMNITJESUSCHRISTWEREPUSHINGSOHARD-ing it.

Done it with seatposts as well. Best was in 2008 manager in shop was wrenching at getting upset that it took 4 days to get a seatpost out of a customers old 1987 Italian road bike.  Kept adding a bit of liquid wrench all the time. Day 4 took off the wheels and upside down in the vice. Came out no problem at that point. Funny thing is customer was more then happy to wait the 4 days to do it without causing any damage.