MEAT Engines 2023...

Feb. 7, 2023, 9:12 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

HG FTW - I'm glad that all, but one of my rear wheels [I've got an XD that came on a complete bike] run HG freehubs.  When that XD driver dies it'll get replaced with a HG. Works great. Keeps things simple in the fleet. And prevents any foolishness with 12 and I'm sure shortly 13 speed drivetrain. I used to be very keen on all the new MTB tech news, but these days it's mostly just noise in the background.

Agreed. HG for life....

Feb. 7, 2023, 9:25 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

This would be interesting to some.

https://bikepacking.com/news/frxbl-thumbster/

Gorgeous friction thumb-shifters. 

I would have loved to see the area below the barrel adjuster tapered some. And, I love the aesthetic of an old DuraAce bar-con on a Paul Thumbie. But, if it gets more people doing the friction thing I think it's brilliant!

Feb. 7, 2023, 11:06 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Works Components angleset in Teal Blue?! I'm very much enjoying the colour mashup. Pictures of the whole Rifty pending? 

What hub do you have?

Yeah, it's my third (fourth?) Works headset, and after only being available in black I couldn't resist the upcharge for a fun colour. 

The hub is a speshy roval something... The perils of buying used mean prioritising some parts and leaving others to worry about later. It came with Magura MT sports, a Bomber CR (with Sprindex), and a Z2 which has migrated to the hardtail. 

Pics pending.

Feb. 8, 2023, 4:26 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]
Yeah I'm mostly just being pedantic. I'd call them different designs. At least Sram open sourced XD, I'd be willing to concede in that case and call it an open standard. AFAIK Microspline is still proprietary and must be licensed from Shimano.

This was somewhat of a baffling move by Shimano as it effectively put fewer of their new drivetrains on bikes for the first year of MS. The fact that they (their lawyers, I assume?) even referred to a spline configuration as proprietary is sort of odd. I mean, if it was patented they would have said that specifically, (and good luck enforcing that patent!) Maybe it was more of a copyright/nomenclature issue which would make “many splinies” freehubs harder to move for manufacturers if they weren’t allowed to actually call them “micro spline”? I know at least one manufacturer built MS compatible freehubs using half the splines before they were given a license.

Even putting aside this lockring stripping tendency on MS, the 10t install is a bit of a bodge. Mating with the 12t instead of the actual splines is annoying. It’s a little better than XD in terms of being able to reorder cogs and use a cheaper stacked cassette. Would there be less spline deformation on MS compared to HG with the additional spline area when using a stamped cog? Maybe, but whether Shimano will “license” anyone to build such a product is an open question.

In the interim, I will suggest that companies spend IP dollars on part interfaces that someone would actually want to copy, and add an image of a 9t compatible HG freehub from 2011.

Feb. 8, 2023, 10:38 a.m.

HG FTW - I'm glad that all, but one of my rear wheels [I've got an XD that came on a complete bike] run HG freehubs.  When that XD driver dies it'll get replaced with a HG. Works great. Keeps things simple in the fleet. And prevents any foolishness with 12 and I'm sure shortly 13 speed drivetrain. I used to be very keen on all the new MTB tech news, but these days it's mostly just noise in the background.

Back in 2020 before ordered the Stylus from Chromag. Asked specifically what the rear wheel freehub was. It can in standard HG. 

Reminds me, should get around to ordering the Hope hub rear axle converters.

Feb. 8, 2023, 11:37 a.m.

A week late, but as a lover of absurd bumper stickers ("Choose Sin" "Frack the Tetons" "Rue Paul is an Oil Tycoon" "My Other Ride is My Sexy Wife" etc) our household has to have an ongoing conversation that boils down to "how will you explain this sticker to the Sprockids and their parents?" which results in a box full of great stickers that I'll never get to stick anywhere.

Feb. 8, 2023, 11:46 a.m.

Gorgeous friction thumb-shifters. 

I would have loved to see the area below the barrel adjuster tapered some. And, I love the aesthetic of an old DuraAce bar-con on a Paul Thumbie. But, if it gets more people doing the friction thing I think it's brilliant!

I just randomly received a bumper sticker that says "Thumbs are for hitchin'!" Took me a while to decipher.

I'm a thumbie fan, for the record.

Feb. 8, 2023, 12:07 p.m.

11-12 speed Cassettes? Based on my time with the Stylus the biggest for where excess weight. When I pulled the worn drive train last year threw the pie plate cassette part on a shelf and forgot I had it. Haven't used at all the 4 biggest cassette cogs.  Waste of space and useless weight.

Feb. 8, 2023, 1:30 p.m.

I'm very much enjoying the colour mashup. Pictures of the whole Rifty pending?

The years of pictures in this spot show the invasion of the privet, damn thing sprouts up everywhere.

And a front on peek for the full lego effect.

With the fork at 150 and the Works headset the geometry is very close to the Dharco in M, and like Cooper's review suggested, it's a hardtailers FS.

Last edited by: velocipedestrian on Feb. 8, 2023, 4:08 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 8, 2023, 5:03 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

With the fork at 150 and the Works headset the geometry is very close to the Dharco in M, and like Cooper's review suggested, it's a hardtailers FS.

AHHHHH. I'm writing a piece the inspiration to be found in the Dharco! Feeling thunder-thieved over here. My Rifty is also currently over-forked more than the max +1cm Marin recommends and with a -2° headset it rips. Totally unbalanced in a soft-tail sort of way.

The mix-matched sidewalls really make the bike for me. Love the full LEGO affect of the various colour blocks.

Feb. 8, 2023, 8:24 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

AHHHHH. I'm writing a piece the inspiration to be found in the Dharco! Feeling thunder-thieved over here. My Rifty is also currently over-forked more than the max +1cm Marin recommends and with a -2° headset it rips. Totally unbalanced in a soft-tail sort of way.

The mix-matched sidewalls really make the bike for me. Love the full LEGO affect of the various colour blocks.

It's your thunder, I don't think I'd have looked at the Rifty without reading your pieces. 

I have one more colour block, a set of green ano Boomslang pedals off the Spitfire (same shade as the DVO dials). They would have gone on already but I wanted to give the Wah Wahs a fair shake, and I'm liking them.

Feb. 9, 2023, 5:08 a.m.

And a front on peek for the full lego effect.

I just love how the rear half of the bike looks reasonably-boring / styled to rather mellow tastes, which contrasts beautifully with the funky explosion of color in the front.

Seconding the single tanwall, an underrated visual trick IMHO.

Feb. 9, 2023, 6:10 a.m.

Another Plug In The Wall

I had to restrain myself from posting a comment on the FA review as I had nothing productive/positive to say. If I recall correctly it was 8 smaller batteries + 1 big battery to get the bike rolling plus I'd wager another battery in the bike computer/phone to race other people on the internet. First off if you are going to charge/haul around a battery as big as a newborn baby that can burn your garage to the ground in the time it takes you to enjoy the first coffee of the day you might as well power all that silliness off it and delete the other smaller batteries. But more to the point who is looking at this and thinking "we've got some money and brain power what does the mountain biking world really really need?" and then answer with FA.

Feb. 9, 2023, 6:52 a.m.

Another Plug In The Wall

I had to restrain myself from posting a comment on the FA review as I had nothing productive/positive to say. If I recall correctly it was 8 smaller batteries + 1 big battery to get the bike rolling plus I'd wager another battery in the bike computer/phone to race other people on the internet. First off if you are going to charge/haul around a battery as big as a newborn baby that can burn your garage to the ground in the time it takes you to enjoy the first coffee of the day you might as well power all that silliness off it and delete the other smaller batteries. But more to the point who is looking at this and thinking "we've got some money and brain power what does the mountain biking world really really need?" and then answer with FA.

I will not be surprised to see someone rolling FA on their ebike in my area.  They seem to be attracting the people who need to Max/Max their builds with the latest and greatest.  

The technology is neat from a "wow, we can do that?" perspective, but man...I have a hard time remembering to keep my light charged, let alone 8 other batteries.  And if I had to mess with a phone app before the ride?  Forget about it.

Feb. 9, 2023, 7:15 a.m.

Not totally off topic- have you read about Roger Waters supporting Russia's invasion of Ukraine? They say you never want to meet your heroes as you might be disappointed; in this case I'm thoroughly disillusioned. Roger's solo live set "In the Flesh" is an amazing work but now I can't bring myself to listen to it.