MEAT Engines 2023...

Jan. 11, 2023, 10:32 p.m.

Think many here would enjoy this. So tonight this showed up on my FB feed.  Fat Tire Flyer is that Fat tire Flyer, the first and original mountain bike magazine by Charlie Kelly.  Pretty cool story about the crew from Singletrack Uk visiting Repack and the meeting it seems of all the originals. 

https://fattireflyer.com/2023/01/11/uk-comes-to-fairfax/?fbclid=IwAR0sS-fbBisD6Zdv-7Wp0j9NKtf38T7EDJwgwDrDDzEBRhhPN7ehG1LjeZc

Jan. 11, 2023, 10:33 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

“I’m Happier On My Bike Than On The Internet” is a great motto. Sticker worthy even.

The older I get the more I like my bikes.

Jan. 12, 2023, 6:12 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Think many here would enjoy this. So tonight this showed up on my FB feed.  Fat Tire Flyer is that Fat tire Flyer, the first and original mountain bike magazine by Charlie Kelly.  Pretty cool story about the crew from Singletrack Uk visiting Repack and the meeting it seems of all the originals. 

https://fattireflyer.com/2023/01/11/uk-comes-to-fairfax/?fbclid=IwAR0sS-fbBisD6Zdv-7Wp0j9NKtf38T7EDJwgwDrDDzEBRhhPN7ehG1LjeZc

I'm getting a "domain has expired" page when I click that link??

Jan. 12, 2023, 9:36 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I'm getting a "domain has expired" page when I click that link??

Based on FB comments on Charlie Kelly's FB it expired sometime last night when was asleep.

Jan. 12, 2023, 9:55 a.m.

No worries. The Interwebs giveth and the Interwebs taketh away.

Jan. 12, 2023, 2:39 p.m.

Based on FB comments on Charlie Kelly's FB it expired sometime last night when was asleep.

If we could all be so lucky

Jan. 12, 2023, 10:39 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

No worries. The Interwebs giveth and the Interwebs taketh away.

Apparently Charlie fixed it.

Jan. 13, 2023, 8:52 a.m.

Moving on from the moto assist privilege arguments....

Dear lord, that's not a cable actuated rear brake going on there, is it? This is by no means meant to be an elitist type comment, but if that's what I think it it, why would you do that to yourself willingly?

Jan. 13, 2023, 11:03 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

Dear lord, that's not a cable actuated rear brake going on there, is it? This is by no means meant to be an elitist type comment, but if that's what I think it it, why would you do that to yourself willingly?

Good question. I think the advent of powerful, reliable, and ubiquitous hydraulic disc brakes was the biggest advancement in MTB technology in the last few decades. Appropriate frame geometry is a close second.

Jan. 13, 2023, 11:50 a.m.

I don't know, those Paul Klampers on his other bike are pretty trick.

Jan. 13, 2023, 1:06 p.m.

LOl...Ok. Simple have them and they work as well as came off the cracked frame.  And because I know it grinds some peoples gears.

Last edited by: Endurimil on Jan. 13, 2023, 1:07 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 13, 2023, 3:42 p.m.

LOl...Ok. Simple have them and they work as well as came off the cracked frame.  And because I know it grinds some peoples gears.

Great, as long as they work well for you. As someone with 4-piston calipers/180mm rotors on the front and back of my hard tail, I know those wouldn't be anywhere near adequate for me (power or modulation-wise), which is why I found it so shocking.

Jan. 15, 2023, 1:08 p.m.

Posted by: kavurider

I don't know, those Paul Klampers on his other bike are pretty trick.

The levers that came from the Wideangle. Old Dangerboy T-101’s. Only seen two other pairs for sale used in the last decade.

Jan. 15, 2023, 1:15 p.m.

Great, as long as they work well for you. As someone with 4-piston calipers/180mm rotors on the front and back of my hard tail, I know those wouldn't be anywhere near adequate for me (power or modulation-wise), which is why I found it so shocking.

To be honest riding in Ontario no problem. However if moved back to BC and was doing big descents there would be the potential to go down that path.

Though interestingly a few races the Downieville Super D using mechanical disc brakes . Paul’s Klampers to be precise.

https://theradavist.com/gold-amidst-the-dust-a-hardtail-gallery-from-the-2019-downieville-classic/

Also saw that the guy at Hardtail Party uses them alot. And he rides where there is big descents as well.

Jan. 15, 2023, 1:36 p.m.

Also saw that the guy at Hardtail Party uses them alot. And he rides where there is big descents as well.

Where HTP lives in Sedona is lots of short steep ups and downs. Not much in the way of sustained descents to deal with.