MEAT Engines 2023...

Jan. 6, 2023, 8:35 a.m.

For the don’t ride boring bikes crowd. 

Spotted this on the Steel is Real FB group this morning. Cool have me build project in Finland.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/est/monstercross?fbclid=IwAR0UU2yfB7xD7_p5NR8rUZrCIewlr1vyKmozC4PC8kDrhR4fTE7LDyUWz60

Last edited by: Endurimil on Jan. 6, 2023, 8:36 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 8, 2023, 5:46 p.m.

New Year - New Zones...CumberWorx

I still recall Clairebarian dropping the guy on a Geometron like he was standing still near the top of the climbing trail. I expect more acts of pint sized savagery in 2023's edition.

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 8, 2023, 5:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 9, 2023, 1:34 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I still recall Clairebarian dropping the guy on a Geometron like he was standing still near the top of the climbing trail. I expect more acts of pint sized savagery in 2023's edition.

That poor dude's friends were the best. I was actually thinking about him earlier today for a piece I'm playing with that has a "Mountain Biking - Choose Your Own Adventure" theme. 

After that, incident. Do you think he:

A) Bought a lighter-weight bike. 

B) Bought an e-bike.

C) Accepted that he got smoked by an 8-year-old.

D) Started riding more regularly and can now crush at least half of the group that was laughing 'with' him.

E) Quit mountain biking.

Jan. 9, 2023, 1:54 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

B) Bought an e-bike.

D) Started riding more regularly and can now crush at least half of the group that was laughing 'with' him.

E) Quit mountain biking.

He's probably been bugging Chris Porter weekly about the release of the new Geomotron e-bike.

Jan. 9, 2023, 1:56 p.m.

Claire needs to have fast one ready for next time like..."You are out here trying. That's what matters mister." Should be universal enough to crush souls in most situations.

Jan. 9, 2023, 2:59 p.m.

Claire needs to have fast one ready for next time like..."You are out here trying. That's what matters mister." Should be universal enough to crush souls in most situations.

Claire could say..." If you ride more you too can ride like a girl."

Jan. 9, 2023, 4:23 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Claire could say..." If you ride more you too can ride like a girl."

Haha that's awesome.  One of my regular riding partners is 11 years old and rips harder than most grown ups. We are used to it by now, but I love seeing people's reaction when he sends the pile driver or cleans Empress.

Jan. 10, 2023, 12:22 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Haha that's awesome.  One of my regular riding partners is 11 years old and rips harder than most grown ups. We are used to it by now, but I love seeing people's reaction when he sends the pile driver or cleans Empress.

Riding with kids as they grow up is fun. They go from being the limiting factor to being glued to your tail to being so far out front you can't see 'em anymore.

Jan. 10, 2023, 12:34 p.m.

That poor dude's friends were the best. I was actually thinking about him earlier today for a piece I'm playing with that has a "Mountain Biking - Choose Your Own Adventure" theme. 

B) Bought an e-bike.

E) Quit mountain biking.

Trick question, B and E are the same!

Jan. 10, 2023, 12:37 p.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

Trick question, B and E are the same!

Ouch! So true.

Jan. 10, 2023, 4:10 p.m.

E-bike look-alikes

I think Trek has taken the mantle from Santa Cruz for most ebike looking bike with that FuelEX. The added weight and cost leaking over from ebike “development” (IE marketing) isn’t doing mountain bikers any favours. On the other hand, if you have unlimited income but still get crushed then heckled by 8 year olds, your chance for redemption is nigh!

Jan. 10, 2023, 4:11 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Riding with kids as they grow up is fun. They go from being the limiting factor to being glued to your tail to being so far out front you can't see 'em anymore.

Skooks, that's RAD.

One of the other cool things about riding with kids is they give zero f***s. Happy to go out and try something new and walk anything they aren't sure about. Happy to ride the same trail everyday for three months. Happy to go ride some much tamer options with a friend who's new to riding. Happy to go out with much stronger riders and never feeling out of place with folks waiting for them. I love it.

Jan. 10, 2023, 4:21 p.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

E-bike look-alikes

I think Trek has taken the mantle from Santa Cruz for most ebike looking bike with that FuelEX. The added weight and cost leaking over from ebike “development” (IE marketing) isn’t doing mountain bikers any favours. On the other hand, if you have unlimited income but still get crushed then heckled by 8 year olds, your chance for redemption is nigh!

To be fair (to be faaaaaaair), the 8-year-old (technically still 7 at the time) wasn't doing any heckling, nor was it the folks riding with her (although, I may have encouraged her to try and catch them).

It was buddy's riding group standing on the ridge above cheering her on loudly as dude suffered up the last few switchbacks.

I think any bike with a gearbox followed by the Marin Wolf Ridge still wins the prize for most BroPed looking meat-bikes. The future of gearboxes is integrated with motors - it makes all the sense - but I can't see the tech ever replacing the rear derailleur and appearance is just one reason.

When I was reviewing the Wolf Ridge I had multiple people mention how much it looked like an e-bike and a couple of accusations of 'cheating' when I passed folks (I guess they figured the motor noise was hidden by my heavy breathing?).

I agree though that Trek is the first bike where they have two models that are almost indistinguishable though in the EX and EXe. Whether the EX has more e-bike genes or the EXe has more meat-bike genes I'll leave it up to the individual, but either way, I think that any company producing bikefurky is going to be chasing a similar silence in terms of acoustic and visual noise.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on Jan. 10, 2023, 4:22 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 10, 2023, 4:46 p.m.

I'm looking forward to this phase. I took my pair of gromlins up the local yesterday, there were some tears (looking at the obstacle instead of the trail led to some mean pedal-shin action), some whoops, and plenty of snacks. 

2.5hrs for what would be about 20mins of riding solo was perfect. They spotted native birds got a view from a high place, and came home happy. Winning.

Jan. 10, 2023, 6:12 p.m.

B) Bought an e-bike.

E) Quit mountain biking.

Choice B may as well be buying a used moto trials of a CPTA member.