MEAT Engines 2023...

Jan. 16, 2023, 6:11 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Posted by: kavurider

I don't know, those Paul Klampers on his other bike are pretty trick.

The levers that came from the Wideangle. Old Dangerboy T-101’s. Only seen two other pairs for sale used in the last decade.

Those levers were a nice product. I believe I ran a set of Dangerboy replacements for Purple Hayes brakes way back when. I’m not too surprised they don’t come up used too often as I recall they tended to bend and then crack on the restraightening. No idea what the material they used was…a reboot using 7075-T6 would be sweet.

I’m onboard with your brake choice. Consistency >> power, especially when it’s cold.

Congrats on getting the bike finished. I’m curious how you’re finding the bb height with the littler wheels. Was that a 160mm fork you found?

Jan. 16, 2023, 7:04 a.m.

The levers that came from the Wideangle. Old Dangerboy T-101’s. Only seen two other pairs for sale used in the last decade.

Those are sweet! Thanks for sharing!

Jan. 16, 2023, 7:52 a.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

Those levers were a nice product. I believe I ran a set of Dangerboy replacements for Purple Hayes brakes way back when. I’m not too surprised they don’t come up used too often as I recall they tended to bend and then crack on the restraightening. No idea what the material they used was…a reboot using 7075-T6 would be sweet.

I’m onboard with your brake choice. Consistency >> power, especially when it’s cold.

Congrats on getting the bike finished. I’m curious how you’re finding the bb height with the littler wheels. Was that a 160mm fork you found?

Only put on an easy 6km coffee run on it so far to kind of make sure everything works and to notice anything. Currently has 27.5x2.8 wheels on it and kinda feels like the Wideangle with the plus size wheels. Way too early to tell much about it all as will be tinkering more with the set up.  Last night when measured the top tube of the old 19" Wideangle and compared to the Large 19" Rootdown. The Rootdown it is about 1.75" longer top tube wise in the top tube. First change will be to the higher 40mm rise Chromag bars have.

Jan. 17, 2023, 8:55 p.m.

Since we have discussed drivers hitting cyclists with a side of it is the victims fault. This is interesting,

https://slate.com/technology/2023/01/bike-helmets-cyclist-deaths-do-you-need-to-wear.html?fbclid=IwAR286OICCFqit9gobkOtdVQD_x2GX6rwyhmTcYpUMuKA8Nviq7DRI7BjbKg&mibextid=Zxz2cZ#ld16kguh42wl3p99k7y

Last edited by: Endurimil on Jan. 18, 2023, 12:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 19, 2023, 10:57 a.m.

Your plastic hat won't save you from two tons of metal going 60, that's for sure.

Jan. 19, 2023, 12:16 p.m.

Posted by: cooperquinn

Your plastic hat won't save you from two tons of metal going 60, that's for sure.

No kidding. And the main test used is a joke. It is based around the idea behind what the original idea of helmets were for. Protecting one from stuff falling from above on their heads. Easy example… during World War One the British Army became concerned with the number of soldiers with head injuries. Future investigation discovered the head injuries primary cause was… stuff falling on their heads in the trenches. Solution make helmets for the soldiers to wear in the trenches. End result less head injuries caused by things like that. And 100 years later we base our primary test on the idea of protecting soldiers in a trench from falling debris on their heads. Brilliant.

Jan. 20, 2023, 1:47 a.m.

Ankle Anniversary. Good to see the work is working. I had a much smaller, but still frustrating ankle tweak around the same time, there was a moment around six months when I sat cross legged for the first time. 

It's good to feel strong again, but it's getting boring how much longer it takes than [I want it to] it used to.

Jan. 20, 2023, 5:43 a.m.

It's great you've made so much progress Andrew. The downside to having so much of your life wrapped up in riding bikes....particularly mountain biking...is that a long-term no-riding injury is such a gut punch. Best wishes for an injury-free 2023!

Jan. 20, 2023, 9:01 a.m.

It’s funny, I used to get accused of being a one dimensional character all the time - I worked in bikes, rode bikes, worked on bikes, and when I wasn’t doing those things I thought about bikes. I mean, worse things to be obsessed with! Plus, a significant concentration of the best people ride bikes too. 

(Not ALL the best people, clearly. But lots of great ones)

Then I had a kid and became a full time parent - part time everything else - and even though I still ride, wrench, and now write about bikes the obsession never feels as sharp-edged as it used to. 

It probably made the downtime a lot easier. 

———

Thanks! I’m doing the work to be better, faster, stronger, and funnier (Claire says I’m not succeeding at the last point). See you for some pedaling at Cumberlandworx ‘23 I hope.

Jan. 20, 2023, 9:21 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

It’s funny, I used to get accused of being a one dimensional character all the time - I worked in bikes, rode bikes, worked on bikes, and when I wasn’t doing those things I thought about bikes. I mean, worse things to be obsessed with! Plus, a significant concentration of the best people ride bikes too. 

(Not ALL the best people, clearly. But lots of great ones)

Then I had a kid and became a full time parent - part time everything else - and even though I still ride, wrench, and now write about bikes the obsession never feels as sharp-edged as it used to. 

It probably made the downtime a lot easier. 

———

Thanks! I’m doing the work to be better, faster, stronger, and funnier (Claire says I’m not succeeding at the last point). See you for some pedaling at Cumberlandworx ‘23 I hope.

Speaking as a stay at home dad....biggest thing is select the correct spouse or long term partner correctly. Best example In 2006 due to injury had toned down the running and was primarily MTB. In 2007 just before our wedding in April 2007 and July 2007 birth of Gabi. I mentioned to my wife I would tone down the riding...you know do the right thing kind of stuff. Joely's response to that was ..." You do that and I will kill you". Message heard loud and clear. LOL

Though it probably helps Joely is a former national team member and understands how much it makes me who I am. And has encouraged it all as well as tolerated some of the things done. LOL

And biggest thing I will always recommend to any rider who is a new parent. Invest in bar and helmet lights because so many rides when Gabi was so young where at 1130 at night in the woods because it was the only way. And Joely demanded the rides.

Jan. 20, 2023, 12:24 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

I really really feel this lately, the "burn" just isn't there. Just part of getting older? Or just getting tired-er? Different priorities now?

I dunno.

Jan. 20, 2023, 1:23 p.m.

Mix things up with a different type of riding for a little while - like gravel/cx. The cool things with those is you can push the bar a bit into trail riding and sharpen/build your mtb skills and maybe even the stoke to get back on the mtb. Branching out with some new riding partners into different areas you don't normally ride can help as well.

Jan. 20, 2023, 1:31 p.m.

For those of a certain vintage….today is the 44th anniversary of…

https://youtu.be/OKwTKeLCs7A

Jan. 21, 2023, 8:35 a.m.

^ my buddies, when we were kids in the eighties, we’re doing the same thing on our bmx bikes in Gibsons. Even a few downhill single tracks down to the village. Where the love began.

Jan. 22, 2023, 9:42 a.m.

Some EWS racer did part of the EWS  races with a wee bit more meat engines content then most.

https://singletrackworld.com/2023/01/bikepacking-the-ews-delirium-duct-tape-and-detours/?fbclid=IwAR1Be9oxB2Ix4EtJp4wNFMWIs6Iqz-EpOXobmMQ_mOaA81-M_ETIpb3FzLI&mibextid=Zxz2cZ