MEAT Engines 2023...

Nov. 30, 2023, 7:40 a.m.

Big time. 

We don’t need to wait for companies to save us with new business models, we just need to take our kit in and have it fixed.

Nov. 30, 2023, 10:41 a.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

i guess i'm intrinsically a cheap bastard, but i get great satisfaction in repairing / re-using / re-contextualizing / modifying stuff - that often eclipses buying new. anyone can swipe a credit card; the use of creativity / ingenuity / craft interests me. i also tend to find patina and the accumulation of modifications over time fascinating - ie, inanimate objects developing character (of sorts) & telling personal stories. perhaps it's a coping mechanism to keep me happy with what i have rather than always pining for the next new shiny thing, but hey, it works for me?

Being a dirtbag was learned in my case. To be honest was an MTB dirtbag long before it was cool and fashionable. LOL

And just for fun a case study in the reuse and recycle idea…

Only the frame was bought new the rest  aside from bb was second hand parts.

Aside from the bb  the Samurai was all second hand parts. And was fun out riding those I know who had new bikes with all the new must have “performance enhancers”. 🤣

Only upgraded to full new and modern because bad things happened. Really don’t give a fuck what the bike industry thinks I need and the more they try to stall it the less I listen. Would be happily riding that Samurai like it was now if it hadn’t been destroyed. 

Funny thing is if an older TRL or Stylus was offered up would take it. And go ride it and not give a shit what the rest thought.

Nov. 30, 2023, 1:34 p.m.

Posted by: 93EXCivic

Posted by: cooperquinn

"I'd love to see more companies build their business model around long-lasting, sustainable products that can be repaired, upgraded, etc. "

[Kitsbow has entered the chat]
[Kitsbow has left the chat]

I wanted to like Kitsbow but I couldn't justify spending that kind of prices for clothes that are going to get torn up.

I have a 7 year old Kitsbow merino hoodie on right now. 

It was expensive when new. A week before they went under, I got it back from its first trip back home, and it was fully repaired, cuffs replaces, holes patched, seams restitched... for $20.

Dec. 1, 2023, 6:09 a.m.

"I'd love to see more companies build their business model around long-lasting, sustainable products that can be repaired, upgraded, etc. "

[Kitsbow has entered the chat]
[Kitsbow has left the chat]

I wanted to like Kitsbow but I couldn't justify spending that kind of prices for clothes that are going to get torn up.

I have a 7 year old Kitsbow merino hoodie on right now. 

It was expensive when new. A week before they went under, I got it back from its first trip back home, and it was fully repaired, cuffs replaces, holes patched, seams restitched... for $20.

That is fair but a lot of my gear came second hand and I just throw a patch on it when it tears.

Dec. 1, 2023, 9:29 a.m.

I have to say most of my riding clothes last pretty long, even though most are not exactly high end. Actually some are so old and have been used so many times that the main issue is they get kind of gross and I can't get them to smell fresh anymore, even merino items.

Riding shorts are probably the item that I wear through fastest as they tend to wear on the butt. I'm not sure high end would help there or if I would just wear through a more expensive pair of shorts in the same time. Running a rear fender may help a little.

Shoes are one area where I think the industry could do a better job. I'd love to see riding shoes designed to have their soles replaced, same for buckles, velcros, etc.

Dec. 1, 2023, 10:23 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]
Shoes are one area where I think the industry could do a better job. I'd love to see riding shoes designed to have their soles replaced, same for buckles, velcros, etc.

100% on shoes. I hate how short 510s last. It is by far the thing I go through the most. Then helmets but the helmet thing is safety related so not much to be done about that.

Dec. 1, 2023, 10:48 a.m.

100% on shoes. I hate how short 510s last. It is by far the thing I go through the most. Then helmets but the helmet thing is safety related so not much to be done about that.

A few years ago when Dirt UK still existed in print. There was mention of a shoe repair shop that could resole shoes for mtb. And they would do it for customers to any shoe that could have the 5.10 rubber glued on. Though half the issue with 5.10 mtb shoes isn't the rubber sole it is all the cushioning material that fails before everything else. And the idea that a mtb shoe can't be made that would be re-solable is BS. Reality is manufacturers don't want that as it would cut into share holder profits and we cannot have that.

To be honest gave up on shit like 5.10's and been using light hikers and such which have outlasted any flat pedal specific shoe have had to date. And way fracking cheaper.

And this had me dig up this. In the running world there are guys out there using a Walmart toaster oven basically to pull off a shoe sole and reattach it. Running related but same idea.

Last edited by: Endurimil on Dec. 1, 2023, 10:56 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 1, 2023, 11:26 a.m.

I do a new helmet every 2 years max.

Dec. 1, 2023, 11:41 a.m.

I had my Freeriders resoled by Cheshire Shoe Repair (in UK).  They use a Vibram sole which is reasonably grippy. They've lasted well but are now beginning to get holes in them.  I picked up some Impacts which have far thicker soles.  I do run quite long pins (6mm projection x 4mm diameter) so not surprised they chew the shoe.

Dec. 4, 2023, 4:46 a.m.

For all the Stooge fans - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-e_ohWEY8s&ab_channel=JeffKendall-Weed

Dec. 4, 2023, 6:26 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

I do a new helmet every 2 years max.

My helmet before this one lasted about three rides before I crashed and damaged it. oops.

Dec. 4, 2023, 9:59 a.m.

For all the Stooge fans - I really enjoyed that. Jeff is such a great rider as well.

Dec. 4, 2023, 10:58 a.m.

Jeff rode a Stoojé for the duration of this video.

Named after the 3 Stoojés, a spinoff on CTV. Came on after Le Vagabond (Littlest Hobo) and before Beachcombers.

Dec. 5, 2023, 10:11 a.m.

That rock I think is also known as leverite. Too big. Leave her right there.

Dec. 5, 2023, 4:27 p.m.

Oh yeah, the Stooge video is great! Mr. Weed’s take on the no-cable version at the start was about as negative as I’ve ever seen him be about anything.

There’s nothing like landing a transition perfectly on a rigid.