Math nerdery, gears.... (The Truth About 11-Speed)

March 26, 2014, 1:19 p.m.

Dropping to the 34 is basically my sweet spot

most of the riding is done mid cassette for trail and descenting and I can climb Fromme in the 34-36 when I want to build power.

Still likely end up climbing most of the climb in a ratio achievable with a 1x system, but have the low when needed.

not have to drop to granny mid stage for the punchy climbs. All worked out great.

All I read is "I would be ok with 1x, gearing to the climbing spectrum". When is the last time you saw someone cranking out 36-11 mountain biking? Locally I mean, because I know of many places and types of rides that need more than a 36t ring up front.

Most riders would be just fine with a 1x. Its for the discerning riders where a 2x might be required. Basically the opposite way that most people view 1x and 2x systems.

March 26, 2014, 1:21 p.m.

Still running 3x here. I run 22-32-44, and a 11-36 cassette. The big summer alpine rides demand it. 4 hours with 4-5k of climbing need a granny gear. Never had much problem with front derailleurs. Plus the occasional road spin to complete a loop or get to a trail you can just hammer out with a big ring. Shit, I am not giving up my 22 little ring! I value the flexibility of having more gears. I think it's really terrain dependent. Flat or mellow climbing? 1x for sure. But big vert climbing means I want lots of small gears. And long ass rides I want my 22.

March 26, 2014, 1:37 p.m.

all of the sudden there's a steep hill, well because of your piddly little front ring, you're way in the bottom of the cogset, and now you have to shift and shift and shift and shift trying to get back to the top end without breaking your chain, 2x a quick tap into granny and you can just easy shift up as the pitch steeps as your speed lessens.

That's when I get mega chainsuck with a front derailleur in races. I hope 1x will be what most claim it is, will see this season…

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

March 26, 2014, 1:38 p.m.

There isn't a solution for everyone.

and this is all I'm really saying.

I have set up that works for me, why do you want me to change it, Morg? Math doesn't solve my issues with 1x.

March 26, 2014, 1:38 p.m.

All I read is "I would be ok with 1x, gearing to the climbing spectrum". When is the last time you saw someone cranking out 36-11 mountain biking? Locally I mean, because I know of many places and types of rides that need more than a 36t ring up front.

Most riders would be just fine with a 1x. Its for the discerning riders where a 2x might be required. Basically the opposite way that most people view 1x and 2x systems.

36-11? Never…that's why I rock the 34-11. :)

I do use that bailout 24-36 fairly often. The second lap up Old Buck on Sunday I know I used it, especially on the section past the power line on the access road think up to Mt. Seymour Rd.

Every time in Whistler climbing up the Flank there are sections that the 24-36 is great. Could I grunt it out without it? Maybe, but I've always climbed with a high cadence spin, so it would be a change in riding style after 20+ years.

As flip pointed out I don't have a problem with 1x systems, but I do have an issue with the opinion that 2x is dead or that anyone not riding 1x just needs to HTFU.

March 26, 2014, 2:10 p.m.

Still running 3x here. I run 22-32-44, and a 11-36 cassette. The big summer alpine rides demand it. 4 hours with 4-5k of climbing need a granny gear. Never had much problem with front derailleurs. Plus the occasional road spin to complete a loop or get to a trail you can just hammer out with a big ring. Shit, I am not giving up my 22 little ring! I value the flexibility of having more gears. I think it's really terrain dependent. Flat or mellow climbing? 1x for sure. But big vert climbing means I want lots of small gears. And long ass rides I want my 22.

This is gonna be my vote too (for my TR bike).

Are people really having that many problems with front deraillers that they want to run out of gears either on the high or low end?

March 26, 2014, 2:11 p.m.

Ride whatever you like. /thread

March 26, 2014, 2:15 p.m.

Ride whatever you like. /thread

/website

March 26, 2014, 2:27 p.m.

36-11? Never…that's why I rock the 34-11. :)

I do use that bailout 24-36 fairly often. The second lap up Old Buck on Sunday I know I used it, especially on the section past the power line on the access road think up to Mt. Seymour Rd.

Every time in Whistler climbing up the Flank there are sections that the 24-36 is great. Could I grunt it out without it? Maybe, but I've always climbed with a high cadence spin, so it would be a change in riding style after 20+ years.

As flip pointed out I don't have a problem with 1x systems, but I do have an issue with the opinion that 2x is dead or that anyone not riding 1x just needs to HTFU.

Agree that a 34T big ring is a much more usable trail ring. 34-24, dedicated 34T FD. Would be a nice wide range setup. I'd still prefer to give up the high gear on the road and move down 2 teeth up front to get the extra climbing gear.

My GF just ditched her 2x and got herself a Race Face 30T narrow wide. So far she loves it. Had nothing but issues with 2x because FD shifting is something that needs to be finessed, not jammed on. Also I don't have the time to tune her bike up so the setup up front was always lacking precision. With the 1x, she's much happier. Next step is to buy her a 40 or 42T cog for her cassette.

March 26, 2014, 3:31 p.m.

Article here: The Truth About 11-Speed

what you fail to account for in your argument, Morgan, and I know you love directing this argument at me, is that there is an overall loss of range in a 1x system because you have to basically choose to lose versatility on one end or the other. to match gear inches of a 24x36 on the climbing side you need to run 28x42, but then you lose all your top end speed and power as a 28x10 gives you significantly less gear inches than a 36x11….start bumping up your chainring size on a 1x to get a bit more top end and you lose your climbability, at least in places where steep tech climbing happens a lot. And no, having to change your chainring all the time for different places is not a solution, who wants to be swapping rings all the time? they make these handy things called derailleurs that work really well and give you a variety of gearing options, at your finger tips! I'd also argue that because people run such small chainrings, while the gear spread may be the same on the cogset, the gear inches are actually pretty close so you end up feeling like you need to shift more to get into a useable gear, double shift up/down, etc….

Why can't 1x apologists accept that it isn't a cure all for all riders? why the obsession with everyone getting on board the 1x train? why do you care so much that some people actually find 2x systems useful and appropriate in most situations?

edit to add… :) you knew I'd rise to this provocative article!

Slow Clap.

Exactly.

March 26, 2014, 3:35 p.m.

All I know is my bike is lighter running 1 x 10… and less complicated. I have no problem with the range a 11-42 (adapted) cassette provides with a 30t chainring. And yes, I can spin out the 30-11 gear but generally on most trail rides you will never worry about this.

March 26, 2014, 5:09 p.m.

I am on a worn 3x9 and currently flip flopping on what to get for spring. Following this thread now.

March 26, 2014, 5:19 p.m.

Replace the 3x… value+++++

flickr

March 26, 2014, 5:29 p.m.

I am on a worn 3x9 and currently flip flopping on what to get for spring. Following this thread now.

Get the new 3x11 Di2 XTR groupset. Options galore! 694% gear spread (according to Morg's math)! Electronic! Whizz! Bang!

Ride, don't slide.

March 26, 2014, 7:03 p.m.

Have to side with Flip on this one. I like more range and versatility and do find that I do at times "commute" long distances on pavement to get to the trails and utilize the full range of an 11-36 cassette running a 2x 26/38.