Mastering MTB Skills Review

Sept. 20, 2006, 10:54 p.m.

A book by Brian Lopes and (mostly) Lee McCormack Reviewed here.

Would you trust this man's opinion?

Nice work 'MW'

Thanks for the review.

Sept. 21, 2006, 2:13 a.m.

It is a good book, you can't argue with that. Much of the info in this book came from Shaums March and unfortunately he did not get credit for it. Rumour has it that Lee took one of his camps asked a million questions then used much of the info in the writing of the book without mention. Not too cool if this is true. But to give Lee credit he wrote a good book that was needed for beginer and intermediate riders.

Sept. 21, 2006, 3:29 a.m.

Good review great book, agree about the cover being dated the format is not to 'hip' either but the content is second to none, it is indespensible for refining skills and has nice anacdotes(?) aswell to keep it interesting lost my copy to some kids up the road who wanted to borrow it, and i miss it

Sept. 21, 2006, 4:35 a.m.

why now? the book's out for more than a year?

Sept. 21, 2006, 7:59 a.m.

Whitey, those pulp mill chemicals you peddle must be leaking into your cns creating excellent writing skills. Nicely done. Now you just have to learn to pedal for more 30 minutes…a month.

Sept. 21, 2006, 9:35 a.m.

It is a good book, you can't argue with that. Much of the info in this book came from Shaums March and unfortunately he did not get credit for it. Rumour has it that Lee took one of his camps asked a million questions then used much of the info in the writing of the book without mention. Not too cool if this is true. But to give Lee credit he wrote a good book that was needed for beginer and intermediate riders.

By coincidence I was part of the morning session (hardly a camp) that Lee attended. He asked some questions for sure but I'm wouldn't say he asked more than the rest of us. Something to note though is that Shaums' technique is quite different than what is advocated by Lopes/Lee in several key aspects.

Personally where the two philosophies diverge I'm a fan of Shaums' approach. Perhaps a credit should have been given to Shaums. There is no acknowledgement section in the book and it doesn't seem that was much of a priority. An example is that a photo of mine was used (with permission) and I wasn't paid nor given credit for the photo. I'm okay with that but I guess my point is that perhaps the publisher is to blame for these oversights rather than Lee.

I should also add that after that morning session with Shaums my riding was forever changed for the better. I have a half written article on the morning that hasn't yet made it on the site. I could make a bunch of excuses but it comes down to the fact that I have to prioritize to keep nsmb humming along and sometimes articles I am committed to get stalled. It's one I won't let die but it unfortunately hasn't been posted in a timely fashion. Sorry Shaums! I will say this though: taking a camp with Shaums is the best thing that you can do for your riding that I know of. I use the techniques I learned from Shaums every time I ride and when I start to get sloppy I can focus on a few of the points he emphasized and get back on my game right away.

Sept. 21, 2006, 10:49 a.m.

Yah, my dad has that book and its really good!

"Jumps aren't dangerous by themselves… confidence, now thats dangerous"

Sept. 21, 2006, 12:20 p.m.

I too have enjoyed this book to a degree, but…..

Content of book, although very useful, was not attained in an ethical manner.

There are some people out there who deserve some credit for this book and are NOT mentioned at all.

Sept. 21, 2006, 2:57 p.m.

You can pick this up at the Vancouver MEC if you don't want to wait.

Sept. 21, 2006, 3:17 p.m.

i have that book. By reading that book i learned how to boost 6' of air. I still can't do it though :lol:

GPABoosters: SFU/UBC course review database
:ukraine:

Youtube clips are about as useful to me as a miniskirt in Iran.

Sept. 22, 2006, 8:22 a.m.

Learning from a book = bad habits.if you want to learn take a clinic with a real coach.There are lots of good programs,so spend your money on a coach not a book. Just my opinion.
Second Cam do some research on how that book came to be,You will be a little surprised to say the least

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

Sept. 22, 2006, 8:45 a.m.

Learning from a book = bad habits.if you want to learn take a clinic with a real coach.There are lots of good programs,so spend your money on a coach not a book. Just my opinion.
Second Cam do some research on how that book came to be,You will be a little surprised to say the least

Good point about finding a coach to help you. Sure a book will have alot of good info but it's not easy transfering it to real world skill. By having a coach watch you riding they can correct errors you have made.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 22, 2006, 9:45 a.m.

Hi folks.

This is Lee McCormack. Allegations that Joan Joans, Gene Hamilton and Shaums March deserve credit for the book Mastering Mountain Bike Skills are erroneous and libelous. To clarify:

- I have never met Joan Jones, nor have I participated in any CMIC program. We have talked on the phone about me possibly attending her camps, but that's it.

- When I met Gene Hamilton, I'D ALREADY WRITTEN THE BOOK. As a matter of fact, I showed him a proof copy. I did a coaching session with Gene, for which I gave him full credit on my site, www.leelikesbikes.com.

- In the summer of 2003, Shaums March and I talked about doing the book together, but he did not reply to a month's worth of email and phone messages. By the time Shaums and I met in Whistler in summer of 2004, I'D ALREADY WRITTEN THE BOOK with world champion Brian Lopes; as a matter of fact I was in Whistler to shoot photos for the book. I participated in a coaching session with Shaums (and the nsmb crew), for which I gave Shaums full credit on www.leelikesbikes.com.

To reiterate: Neither Joan Joans, Gene Hamilton nor Shaums March influenced the creation of Mastering Mountain Bike Skills. The book was written before I had any meaningful contact with them.

OK, now let's go ride.

• Lee
Sept. 22, 2006, 9:50 a.m.

I have a copy… it was bought for me and signed!

Pretty neat stuff in there… girlfriend is reading it!

www.steedcycles.com

Sept. 22, 2006, 10:11 a.m.

Second Cam do some research on how that book came to be, You will be a little surprised to say the least

I'm not jumping to any conclusions either way. It's pretty clear there are some bad feelings about how this book came to be. But, judging from Lee's comments below, that may not be justified. Only the party's involved know for sure.

It seems clear though that some of the mud slinging is based on false info.