Long Term Review: Crank Brothers Kronolog Dropper Post

Oct. 19, 2012, 7:55 a.m.

if you don't bleed a reverb, or bleed it incorrectly, does it destroy the post?

my point was they both won't work right.

regardless, I agree the design is heavily flawed. I've been happy with my mallet pedals, but CB def. makes some crappy stuff.

Check my stuff for sale!

Oct. 19, 2012, 9:50 a.m.

^The first generation of Reverbs (own one) were incorrectly designed which caused the post to seize an not work at all. This was warrantied by Norco for $10 shipping charge. SRAM tech also gave me all the correct parts at Crankworks. 2nd gen Reverbs (own one of these as well) have the proper remote and hoses fitted from the factory.

I did have to bleed both posts but to be fair I also cut the line short on both.

I've got a CB hand pump and my dad has a multi tool but I wouldn't trust much else of their products after that

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 19, 2012, 10 a.m.

if you don't bleed a reverb, or bleed it incorrectly, does it destroy the post?

No. It just won't function. It is no different than if you don't tighten an actuation cable enough or too much with the Kronolog. Except I think you could damage the Kronolog if you have it poorly adjusted.

You know that you need a bleed on a Reverb when the return is slow. The remote is not pushing enough oil to trigger the mechanism in the post whatever it is. That is how the speed dial works. I varies the oil volume I think. Get a little air in there and you just compress air instead of pushing the mechanism enough to make it function.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 19, 2012, 10:08 a.m.

for those calling poor setup an excuse on CB's part, do you bitch at rockshox for having to bleed a reverb?

Shouldn't have to bleed the reverb either, that's just shit. Can you imagine if a normal person walked into a store, bought a $400 item, got it home and realised that it had to be reworked right out of the box? I don't know why this is acceptable.

Oct. 19, 2012, 11:24 a.m.

Shouldn't have to bleed the reverb either, that's just shit. Can you imagine if a normal person walked into a store, bought a $400 item, got it home and realised that it had to be reworked right out of the box? I don't know why this is acceptable.

It's not but the reality is that the vast majority oy Reverbs will need the hose cut to length anyway and will need a bleed as well as a result. They should come unassembled and unbled in my view as should brakes.

Oct. 19, 2012, 11:30 a.m.

They should come unassembled and unbled in my view as should brakes.

Really? It would help keep bike mechanics employed I suppose but there'd probably be a few deaths and lawsuits too. Stuff should just work. End of.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 19, 2012, 12:23 p.m.

Agree, but it seems like a lot of product in the bike industry is like that. Forks that are shipped with low oil, brakes than need a bleed.

Oct. 19, 2012, 12:48 p.m.

Agree, but it seems like a lot of product in the bike industry is like that. Forks that are shipped with low oil, brakes than need a bleed.

Doesn't make it right though.

I'm actually with OldFart, stuff should come ready to be customised to fit, but should be easy to install and have all the necessary parts and special tools included.

Oct. 19, 2012, 1:39 p.m.

Really? It would help keep bike mechanics employed I suppose but there'd probably be a few deaths and lawsuits too. Stuff should just work. End of.

Not in this instance because Reverbs come with a lot of hose that must be shortened to suit whatever bike it is going on. Like buying shifters with precut lengths of housing and cables long enough to fit the largest bike. Shimano and SRAM include lots of housing and cables and Shimano brakes used to come un-bled with the hose connected at one end. I think my last Shimano brakes were fully functional with too much hose for me and mounted to the opposite sides that I like. And that is mildly annoying because you are compelled to cut off and waste a compression fitting and maybe a barb too.

You wouldn't want someone to install brakes with an extra 50cm of hose dangling somewhere to snag or cause a crash. Some parts that need to be altered to fit, ie. hoses and housings cut, should come unassembled.

I mean all new forks pretty much come with too much steer tube for all but the largest bikes. Uncut steer tubes on my bikes will leave me with a 5cm pommel on top of my stem. Not safe.

Oct. 19, 2012, 3:35 p.m.

Yeah can't believe how IKEA has survived with this business model

Oct. 19, 2012, 4:10 p.m.

Yeah can't believe how IKEA has survived with this business model

Assembled and reworked are totally different. In the Ikea analogy, it would be like having to re-drill holes to put them in the right place. If the product is assembled, it should be in perfect working condition. If the product is unassembled, then it should have clear instructions to install and set up, and not need any special equipment or skills (unless specified prior to purchase).

Oct. 19, 2012, 8:38 p.m.

my reverb didn't need to be bled, did I do it wrong?

Oct. 19, 2012, 8:48 p.m.

nope, I think lots of people have cut the hose and have not needed to rebleed it. Lots of people have also had success with brake lines too. success is not always guarantee though.

Oct. 19, 2012, 9:07 p.m.

One Reverb I bled, the other I didn't.

Oct. 20, 2012, 12:45 a.m.

installed about a dozen Reverbs and shortened the hose on each one, never needed to bleed any of these

disc brakes?

we are usually trimming the hoses even on production bikes, they always seem to come a little too long (often the front brake hose)

brake with long hose works fine, but looks messy and is not acceptable to a customer buying a premium bike, or to my eyes as a mechanic taking pride in building a quality bike

again, brakes do not need bleeding if hose cut is done correctly (as long as some idiot passing through the workshop does not grab the brake lever whilst the hose is disconnected!)