Knolly V-Tach - previewed by Mark Steinebach

Sept. 7, 2006, 9:17 p.m.

Looks like a sweet ride.

V-Tach.

Sept. 7, 2006, 9:32 p.m.

Noel is a really really nice,friendly, stand up guy. His bikes are so well built, and just pieces of art. If I could ride any frame it would certainly be a knolly. Built locally too!

Sept. 7, 2006, 9:33 p.m.

$3600 MSRP for frame and shock :damn: Start making them offshore, then maybe more than a dozen people could afford them. I have heard that they are a pretty nice ride, but a little heavy, errr sturdy..

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Sept. 7, 2006, 9:36 p.m.

Cool article, I'll be interested in seeing the full review when he's done. Does anyone know if there were any Delerium T's out and about? Any word on them?

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=20017
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

Sept. 7, 2006, 10:18 p.m.

As an owner of one of the first V-tachs off the line, I'd have to say that the V-Tach is worth every penny of the price that seems to bother most people. And I'm not just saying that because Noel's been a friend and riding bud for years.

I've had mine for a little over a year and a half now and nothing feels as solid handling as the V-tach. I'd been riding shore trails for about 10 years before I got this bike and there wasn't much out there that scared me. On the first ride out I felt more confident on stuff that used to be a bit shaky. I pretty much felt my riding skills notch up 2 or 3 levels!

Noel puts nothing but quality into the build, so after 1 1/2 years of beating the crap out of the frame, not a single bearing in the pivots needs replacement. The rear end is a solid as the day it was new. Only the shock bushings needed to be replaced a few months ago.

As for the weight, well it's up there, but mine builds up to 45 pounds and there's a lot heavier bikes than that out there. The suspension is pretty efficient so climbing isn't as bad as you think. I survived last years Test on the thing!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Sept. 7, 2006, 10:20 p.m.

Cool article, I'll be interested in seeing the full review when he's done. Does anyone know if there were any Delerium T's out and about? Any word on them?

The DT's should be hitting shops any day now …

Kn.

Sept. 7, 2006, 10:45 p.m.

I preferred the first run stickers.

But, it's not about the stickers,I know!

Sept. 8, 2006, 12:20 a.m.

I preferred the first run stickers.

But, it's not about the stickers,I know!

you are not alone there actually.

the extra weight in the knolly is mostly in the rear end (or so it seems). but, what this means is that the Knolly is one of the stiffest 4bars out there for sure.

Sept. 8, 2006, 5:35 a.m.

The V-Tach is the NUTS! I waited nearly 9 months for mine, I live in the UK, and it was worth the wait and every penny that I spent on it. Had the joy of riding and chatting with Noel when I was over on holiday a few weeks ago, what a nice chap he is! Stoked that he is getting some PR on NSMB for what is a super sweet product. Awesome attention to detail etc but best of all it inspires so much confidence!

100% top $$$ product!

:uk:

Sept. 8, 2006, 6:53 a.m.

As an owner of one of the first V-tachs off the line, I'd have to say that the V-Tach is worth every penny of the price that seems to bother most people. …………….
Kn.

Why am I not surprised you have a V-Tach. :)

I am really happy to hear that you give it a thumbs up Ken, there aren't many people who's opinion I respect more than you and Noel when it comes to bikes.

It sure does look pretty too!

Cheers,
JdanS

Click Me

Sept. 8, 2006, 7:09 a.m.

What can be said that hasn't been said already?

The V-tach is an amazing bike. It is so nimble and it feels like a lighter bike than it actually is when you're on the trail. The unconventionally angled seatpost is no joke, either…it works so well, you wonder why it wasn't done before. In my opinion the V-tach's price is fully justified.

-B

Sept. 8, 2006, 7:28 a.m.

The unconventionally angled seatpost is no joke, either…it works so well, you wonder why it wasn't done before. -B

does it really work that great on steep techincal climbs where you need to have your weight more forward? at the bike swap earlier this year i recall a knolly rep explaining this feature to a potential customer and taling about the benefit of the angeled seattube.

prsonally i have never been a fan of a steeply angled seat tube. when the seat is down low for descending i basically never touch the thing so the forward angle position doesn't matter. but when it's extended it seems as if the seat would be too far back. i currently have an 03 team shore with an angled seat tube (although not as much as the knolly) and find the seat to be in an awkward position when the post is up. on many climbs i am off the seat or sitting on the front edge to be in a good position for climbing. i also find the same thing on my sx trail, although not quite to the same degree as the norco.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 8, 2006, 8:28 a.m.

I'll echo the other V-Tach owners with my high praise for the bike. Been running it for 2 years and it is as solid as day 1 - lateral stiffness is unreal.

does it really work that great on steep techincal climbs where you need to have your weight more forward? at the bike swap earlier this year i recall a knolly rep explaining this feature to a potential customer and taling about the benefit of the angeled seattube.

I guess that depends on what climbs you are asking about. The seat tube angle works great for Fromme switchbacks and even Old Buck (Basically at it's sitting position the seat is positioned where a 'normal' angle seatposted bike would place the saddle).
Throw more steep and some tech into it and I think I'd be looking at the DT as an option (due to the weight - not due to the saddle position).

We did do a roadtrip to Moab / Fruita last year and one of the v-tach owners (I brought a lighter bike) was outclimbing his fair share of other riders with the V-Tach on more techy sections.

Sept. 8, 2006, 10:25 a.m.

Knolly owners are so passionate and stoked on the rides that most people don't really believe it all … but i would say it's all true.

and splinky, the seat post works really well for sure. the v-tach can climb anything if you've got the legs. loose babyhead rocks it laughs at … it just floats over them where a smaller dually would dislodge them …

Sept. 8, 2006, 10:40 a.m.

Knolly owners are so passionate and stoked on the rides that most people don't really believe it all … but i would say it's all true.

Yeah I know. It's hard to avoid sounding like we've joined some kind of cult. Most of the time, I just tell people "Don't listen to me, just ride one. But don't try it if you don't have the cash to buy one cause you'll just end up all frustrated!"

Kn.