Jerry Willows - Breaking his Chilcotin Cherry - Part II Added

Aug. 23, 2011, 1:09 a.m.

Jerry has been working up to this for a long time - and he's finally done it.

Photos and story here...

Part II here...

Aug. 23, 2011, 3:27 a.m.

Wow,

now that is some serious MOUNTAIN biking.
Great stuff, nice words, epic photography.

offtopic:

How did you get an RP23 shock on your Stumpjumper FSR 29er?
I have the same bike, but it came with a Triad II shock.
Which sucks noodles.

I would love to get an RP23 on there.
Do you use the clevis of the 26inch EVO stumpjumper and the according shock?
Got it like this with some bikebiz magic from the Big S?

Greetings Znarf

Aug. 23, 2011, 6:15 a.m.

I just came back from a very similar ride up there. It was an amazing time for sure. Wow my body was unprepared for hard work at elevation, though.

Where on the Shore we're concerned about parts failing (and us dying as a result), that logic doesn't work in the Chilcotin. I'd really forgotten what it means to do 3+ hours of climbing followed by singletrack descents. Lighter bike, heavier pack = that's how it goes in the Chilcotin.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 23, 2011, 7:35 a.m.

The ls probably stands for limestone

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

Aug. 23, 2011, 9:41 a.m.

Wow,

now that is some serious MOUNTAIN biking.
Great stuff, nice words, epic photography.

offtopic:

How did you get an RP23 shock on your Stumpjumper FSR 29er?
I have the same bike, but it came with a Triad II shock.
Which sucks noodles.

I would love to get an RP23 on there.
Do you use the clevis of the 26inch EVO stumpjumper and the according shock?
Got it like this with some bikebiz magic from the Big S?

Greetings Znarf

the RP23 came from Specialized directly when they gave the frame to try. I'm pretty sure James at SuspensionWerx can make it work and the EVO Stumpy 29er for 2012 will have a RP23.

Still in recovery mode from that weekend.

:canada:

Aug. 23, 2011, 9:49 a.m.

totally agree about LS bluffs…

ya the elevation is the killer.

Nice pics!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Aug. 23, 2011, 10:30 a.m.

sounds like you pretty much hated your ride, including the alpine parts which are spectacular highlights for most people. good thing you didn't add deer pass!

Aug. 23, 2011, 10:43 a.m.

I didn't hate the ride at all… the experience was awesome and totally worth it. The views are great in the alpine but the riding is not so great in my opinion. I prefer to ride on single track weaving through the trees as I suspect most people do. Hours to climb up windy bluffs for minutes to come down with really no trail that is basically point and shoot doesn't have the ROI for me.

:canada:

Aug. 23, 2011, 11:33 a.m.

Good one….

Looks like the early nineties are making a comeback!

Aug. 23, 2011, 11:38 a.m.

I didn't hate the ride at all… the experience was awesome and totally worth it. The views are great in the alpine but the riding is not so great in my opinion. I prefer to ride on single track weaving through the trees as I suspect most people do. Hours to climb up windy bluffs for minutes to come down with really no trail that is basically point and shoot doesn't have the ROI for me.

I haven't ridden nearly enough up there but the Lick Creek descent is one of my favourites by any standard. Just an amazing trail.

Great work on the aritcle Jerry! Part II is in the system and will be up soon.

Aug. 23, 2011, 11:49 a.m.

following Lee's chilcotin trip logs have sandbagged more riders they they have helped. lee and I were just talking about that. ha ;)

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Aug. 23, 2011, 12:02 p.m.

Here's our Saturday:

http://northshorebillet.com/blog/

www.northshorebillet.com

Aug. 23, 2011, 3:54 p.m.

Some places are about the whole package not just the riding

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

Aug. 23, 2011, 4:13 p.m.

I think you need to think of riding the Chilcotin like backcountry skiing. Being out in the relative wilderness and traveling through amazing vistas needs to be reward enough as the riding itself is just singletrack (for someone who's used to riding technical trails on the Shore). Just like BC skiing, you will spend way more time climbing than descending so you better enjoy just being out there.

I went to the Chilcotin for the first time and was amazed by the scenery and how ill-prepared my fitness was for 3+ hours of sustained climbing at elevation. It was gratifying to survive the huge climbs but not rewarding enough that I'd want to do it all over again.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 23, 2011, 4:23 p.m.

from what I remember, the really cool part of the LS Bluffs trail was the ridgeline riding. I also rode another route off that ridge, taking the first ridgeline back towards the valley, it was really cool (but not exactly a 'trail'). Anyway, cheers for the Chilcotins, sounds like you got the full experience (sans snow). That area is still my favorite place to mountain bike.