Interbike - Knolly Bikes for 2012 (Big Changes Afoot)

Sept. 24, 2011, 10:07 a.m.

Could you expand on that? I'm looking for an honest answer here, not just trying to stir up crap.

Sorry about that. I just have a hard time when people don't understand the importance of keeping jobs "here" (NA). Ask a person who has lost their manufacturing job (and is now potentially out of work), if they feel it was a "crappy job". Thats all I was trying to say.

Sept. 24, 2011, 10:12 a.m.

Gotcha, totally valid. Thanks.

www.vitalmtb.com

Sept. 24, 2011, 10:16 a.m.

Sorry about that. I just have a hard time when people don't understand the importance of keeping jobs "here" (NA). Ask a person who has lost their manufacturing job (and is now potentially out of work), if they feel it was a "crappy job". Thats all I was trying to say.

I don't think anyone is saying that they don't want the manufacturing jobs here. Of course we do, but you can't fault companies for going overseas when the NA manufacturing sector just cant keep up with the quality and low cost.

It is NA companies who started this trend, we sent the jobs over there, we gave the overseas manufacturers the know how and then they took it to the next level….yes it sucks but as I said it is the bed we made. If these people want their jobs back they will have to do the same thing…do it better for cheaper…and the chances of that happening are quite low.

Sept. 24, 2011, 10:49 a.m.

I don't think anyone is saying that they don't want the manufacturing jobs here. Of course we do, but you can't fault companies for going overseas when the NA manufacturing sector just cant keep up with the quality and low cost.

It is NA companies who started this trend, we sent the jobs over there, we gave the overseas manufacturers the know how and then they took it to the next level….yes it sucks but as I said it is the bed we made. If these people want their jobs back they will have to do the same thing…do it better for cheaper…and the chances of that happening are quite low.

I didn't comment on that, actually. I was speaking on the loss of manufacturing jobs here and how people in manufacturing probably don't see them as crap jobs. sigh.

Sept. 24, 2011, 12:13 p.m.

when was the last time anyone bought a new cove

there's probably more Cove bikes on the trails than Knollys … even newer Cove frames … so I guess someone's buying their inferior NA Al welded inferiorly by Canucks

:canada: :england:

Sept. 24, 2011, 2:12 p.m.

I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape when this topic pops up every few months. Knolly is responding to market demand - not that people are demanding their products be made in Taiwan, but that people want the best product. To get the best product you have to go where the best materials, best craftsmen, and cheapest labour are found.

I agree that Taiwan is very advanced in manufacturing… BUT no way in hell they have the best craftsmen and best materials (we don't work on bikes). Cheaper labor I guess, but that seems to be changing more and more. What they do have, is very efficient plants. I should know this, it's what I do for a living and can easily prove it to you if you wish (I don't make bikes btw)

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Sept. 24, 2011, 2:19 p.m.

as a Knolly dealer for the past 5 years or so, I'm very pleased that Knolly found a suitable manufacturing partner.
Whether this partner is based in China, the US or in your mom's closet, if the quality is there and Noel and co. are happy and continue to make bicycles, then I'm happy and will continue to sell them.

There was never any allure for me stemming from the fact that the tubing, extrusions and welding were from the US. The allure for me has always stemmed from a kickass chassis- the best in the world, imo-that was conceived and continues to evolve through a company based right here in BC.

Well, that, and the fact that Noel believes in sharing his whiskey whenever he comes out for a visit.:woot:

Sept. 24, 2011, 3:21 p.m.

I agree that Taiwan is very advanced in manufacturing… BUT no way in hell they have the best craftsmen and best materials (we don't work on bikes). Cheaper labor I guess, but that seems to be changing more and more. What they do have, is very efficient plants. I should know this, it's what I do for a living and can easily prove it to you if you wish (I don't make bikes btw)

I don't pretend to know the answers, just a guess.

Sept. 24, 2011, 4:26 p.m.

when was the last time anyone bought a new cove

???

considering they sell out their production run as soon as it lands at the store EVERY year, i doubt they are worried..

i have asked Chaz in the past why he doesnt make more bikes, his answer was he was fine with the size of the production runs..

im betting he have no trouble selling 2 or even 3 times his current production run in a year, but i dont think thats his main aim at all..

pretty sure he likes the current size of his market share.

:couple:

Sept. 24, 2011, 5:29 p.m.

chill winston. i wasn't casting aspersions on knolly or impugning the gospel according to noel buckley. never met the man; got no beef with him. but when the tale sounds a bit too tidy, my spidy sense tingles. maybe reality conspired to provide a perfect rationale for moving production overseas. maybe he understand his customers well enough to know what they want/need to hear. whatever the case…

don't believe the hype

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 24, 2011, 8:09 p.m.

there's probably more Cove bikes on the trails than Knollys … even newer Cove frames … so I guess someone's buying their inferior NA Al welded inferiorly by Canucks

yess builds good frames. my 6 yr old pdc is still running strong. i'm curious what the margins on the surreybuilt coves are vs offshore.

Sept. 24, 2011, 10:22 p.m.

chill winston. i wasn't casting aspersions on knolly or impugning the gospel according to noel buckley. never met the man; got no beef with him. but when the tale sounds a bit too tidy, my spidy sense tingles. maybe reality conspired to provide a perfect rationale for moving production overseas. maybe he understand his customers well enough to know what they want/need to hear. whatever the case…

don't believe the hype

I wish my bike could backpedal like that.