How To Be A Road Biker

April 25, 2017, 10:30 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

and i gather road riding helps build and maintain fitness that crosses over to mtn biking? today is a big day. New Bike Day! as soon as i finish typing this, get changed, head down to the LBS and pick up my Devinci Hatchet groad bike.  i'm hoping that (besides regular bicycling joy) it helps build miles on the knees in a good way and gets the legs n lungs in shape for a better mtn bike season. as i age i find the knees are more sensitive to hard early season grinding climbs and the inevitable 'too much too soon'.  maybe frequent road biking will mitigate that. the big 5 oh this yr, kinda blows.

I hear that about the knees. :) Luckily, they are making great progress in science these days, maybe we'll be able to get new knees and keep riding for decades?

April 26, 2017, 12:59 p.m.

Not sure how it is in BC, but over here one definite prerequisite/attitude for all aspiring road bikers would be to not say "Hi" to fellow cyclists.

June 13, 2017, 10:47 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

and i gather road riding helps build and maintain fitness that crosses over to mtn biking? today is a big day. New Bike Day! as soon as i finish typing this, get changed, head down to the LBS and pick up my Devinci Hatchet groad bike.  i'm hoping that (besides regular bicycling joy) it helps build miles on the knees in a good way and gets the legs n lungs in shape for a better mtn bike season. as i age i find the knees are more sensitive to hard early season grinding climbs and the inevitable 'too much too soon'.  maybe frequent road biking will mitigate that. the big 5 oh this yr, kinda blows.

I believe it helps. I like being able to sustain a high heart rate and work the cardio. I find it helps the MTB riding for sure. But I also just like Road biking, watch out!

Aug. 1, 2017, 2:10 a.m.

I had an interesting experience on my commute to work today along the Adanac bike route. Just past Nanaimo in front of Templeton park I flatted. I cursed but said no biggie as I have a patch kit. Pull the wheel off, tire etc, scuff up the puncture and pull out the glue. Fack - dried out/empty tube. No biggie, I keep a second tube of glue, one that hasn't even been opened yet. I pop it open aaaaand that's dry too. Double fack. I figure no biggie, there's tons of people going by at this time, someone is bound to ask if I'm good or have what I need even though at least a dozen people had gone by and said nothing. I wait a few more minutes and a bunch more go by and not a soul says a word - nothing. So I say screw it I'll just walk to Commercial and one of the bike shops to pick up some glue and a tube. Probably another dozen or more people pass by on the walk and nothing - not a word. I found it really surprising that between having the bike upside down and the wheel off and walking from Nanaimo to Commercial along the bike route that not even one person offered to help or even check to see if I needed help. I made a point of trying to make eye contact with a bunch of people who looked like they'd have a patch kid, commuter looking types and a few roadies decked out in matching kit too. It's like they purposely looked away for fear of making eye contact and having to stop for a few minutes to help someone out. Just plain weird.

Aug. 1, 2017, 8:03 a.m.

Gotta love the big city...

I've found that roadies almost always ask if assistance is needed.  Commuters do not as I think they don't carry patch kits.

Get some Park glueless patches.  They work for most flats, last a long time, are cheap, take up very little room, and are very easy to use.

Aug. 28, 2017, 12:14 a.m.

Spare tube, 2x

Aug. 28, 2017, 9:54 a.m.

Im of the opinion that its easier just to carry a couple of spare tubes, and worry about patching your flat when you get home later.  Its faster and easier.  I do carry a patch kit with me, but its a last line of defense.  A patch kit also wont help you with some punctures, depending on what they are.

Sept. 26, 2017, 8:19 p.m.

Hi i from VietNamese. I want to find myself a durable bike that costs just right

Sept. 26, 2017, 8:34 p.m.

Posted by: huybin8196

Hi i from VietNamese. I want to find myself a durable bike that costs just right

You need to kidnap three hookers.

Sept. 27, 2017, 10:40 a.m.

That's my bike route;I wouldn't have stopped because I'd probably already be late for work at that point (not a morning person), but I'd toss you a sympathetic look at least.

Oct. 2, 2017, 9:54 a.m.

Stop asking and take action