Hound Doggin' - What is your Ride Order Philosophy?

Dec. 2, 2008, 11:18 p.m.

Some observations on 25 years of group rides - most on the Shore but a few with Euro journalists.

With photos by Sterling Lorence.

Hound Doggin'

Dec. 2, 2008, 11:29 p.m.

LOL…

that story reminds me of my "Aline" atitude days at Whistla..

"ON ur LEFT"… of course yelled at teh last possible second and LOUD…

these days i prefer a more mellow,laid back Singletrack style of riding…

Dec. 2, 2008, 11:48 p.m.

I'm also a proponent of the mini RPS tourney at trail junctures to see who goes first.. Particularly awesome when you get to bust the loam first.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Dec. 3, 2008, 12:39 a.m.

Ehh, I usually just end up at the back of the pack. When I'm showing someone new around the trails, when I'm riding with my dad, or when I'm showing someone a trail they haven't ridden yet, then I'm probably in front. Apart from that, I tend to like to be able to go at my own pace. My friends usually go ahead, often they are indeed riding faster (on the downhills), but sometimes I will catch up. In case of this, I tend to leave a nice gap between me and whoever is leading me, so I don't have to worry about catching up and riding their rear wheel. The only time I don't leave a gap and go full throttle to hold onto someone's tire is when I'm riding with someone that is ridiculously far above my level. The issue I find with being more relaxed and leaving a nice gap is that I will sometimes get snaked by a much slower rider. It tends to be pretty obvious that I'm ready to go, but I've had this issue with certain people I've ridden with. In the end, it isn't worth getting too hung up about, but I've had my moments where I ride their rear in spite, and my moments whinging about it to others later. I'm far from perfect, that is for sure.

I really love riding with someone who is leagues above me. It gets me riding at my best, I'm hanging it all out there, I know I don't have to worry about getting slowed or having to emergency stop for them, I can try to follow their lines and learn from it, and there isn't the competitive feeling that can sometimes develop amongst riders of closer ability levels.

To sum up a long post, it is great when abilities are clearly spread out, but failing that, taking it as it comes is good, someone is riding your behind? Let them pass, someone crashes, take the lead (assuming they aren't hurt or need help!), and respect the other riders. Just be aware of how they ride, what type of riding you are doing, and if in doubt, let them go first and just enjoy being on two wheels.

22 Pride

Dec. 3, 2008, 7:31 a.m.

Some observations on 25 years of group rides - most on the Shore but a few with Euro journalists.

With photos by Sterling Lorence.

Hound Doggin'

Where is this, if one can say….or the first pic from the article through the old growth?

WTF, Over?

Dec. 3, 2008, 8:05 a.m.

I have my own ROP….everyone go on ahead and I'll see you at the end.

Dec. 3, 2008, 8:07 a.m.

If I am riding with the girl I let her decide where she wants me to be. Sometimes she wants to be ahead and other times she goes and I will follow.

If I am riding with the guys… I normally run middle of the pack. I try and stay where I am in line, unless someone tells me to go ahead.

Sometimes I try and play catch up, snaking by people when there is room. T-Bone's snake was quite amazing… not a single word just rode right by Eamonn… Great day of trail rippin!

Whistler… depends on who I am riding with… Man I miss Whistler. Soooooooooooooooooooooo fast! Lazer fast!

Great article Cam!

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Dec. 3, 2008, 8:18 a.m.

99[HTML_REMOVED]#37; of the folks i ride with are faster than me, so im pretty cumfy taking the last spot. No one riding my back wheel and definatly no one holding me up at all. Best place to be in my opinion. It pays to ride with better riders for sure in this case.

WTF, Over?

Dec. 3, 2008, 8:20 a.m.

"sneaky French or Spanish riders will stealthily move through the pack until they can easily head off again at or near the front, sort of like drivers who merge at the last possible moment."

ha! that's how I drive:lol:

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Dec. 3, 2008, 8:30 a.m.

Yah, that's a great article. Really captures the vibe that is a group ride on the shore.

Most of my riding buddies are above my level, and we employ the "Natural Order ROP" which means I go last… Which is fine by me cuz I can ride at my pace and not feel pushed.

The article makes me recall a ride down espresso this spring. I was riding with a group of ppl who are FAR above my level (even more so than my usual group, lol) and we were using the Racer Boy approach. Shockingly, I managed to pass one of them when she slipped off a slick log ride (very low to the ground.)

I paid the price later, as she rode my back tire thru a steep descent, forcing me to pin it all the way down and hack things up far worse than usual… Good times though and racer boy really does make things more interesting.

Dec. 3, 2008, 8:44 a.m.

Where is this, if one can say….or the first pic from the article through the old growth?

Besides boldly claiming that the first pic of the old growth are Hunter and Shandro in Bella Coola (heck, why do you think I am asking about Bella Coola anyways?), this is a really nice article.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 3, 2008, 8:59 a.m.

poach poach poach!

Dec. 3, 2008, 9:13 a.m.

poach poach poach!

:???: You wanna paoch the trail, i.e. ride it?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 3, 2008, 9:33 a.m.

hey Cam, way to express the ride order vibe so well!… i don't think i've ever seen anyone write about one of the coolest parts riding…

there's another vibe in riding groups that naturally occurs sessioning/trying stunts/tricks - some see the line right away, like the style of move or don't, like to guinea pig, etc… also, trail style plays a big part in how ride order shakes out

Dec. 3, 2008, 9:36 a.m.

Tailgunner ROP. I'm faster than some of the pack and not as fast as others but more often than not still end up behind someone slower than me. I'll sometimes let everyone go and then wait a bit more …and then wait a bit and then go as fast as I can to chase the pack so that when I pull up I'm not running into anyone or holding up the group. Some of my best rides have gone that way but more often than not I truthfully prefer 2 rider teams or riding by myself. Its a bit antisocial but its a solo sport in truth anyway.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.