Hope For Cypress Trails: Good News from the West

Nov. 15, 2012, 3:11 a.m.

With a builders meeting on the horizon and the land development conversations still in the works, Cypress is active right now.

Read on for the news out west…

flickr

Nov. 15, 2012, 7:31 a.m.

I'm not a huge fan of more development on Cypress purely in principle. The magic of Cypress is precisely that there is so little development there. Knowing that there's a mall at the bottom sort of ruins it for me. I like that it feels isolated. Gnarly and isolated!

I suppose as long as there's lots of consultation with other land user groups and their concerns are baked in to the solution then it could work.

If those lower trails got consumed by the development then you can be sure I'll boycott it forever.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 15, 2012, 9:26 a.m.

I get a little nervous, when the phrase "sustainable trails" is used on cypress. Don't get me wrong, TAP has been great for Seymour and fromme, but the idea f mellower grades, and bench cuts on cypress doesn't really work for me. Cypress is about steep, scary, butt puckering trails, trails that could only be built there because it was isolated enough for builders to get away with it. If we can keep them that will be great, but I feel like BPP is going to want more bobsled and less horseman, or wildcherry.

Nov. 15, 2012, 9:49 a.m.

I get a little nervous, when the phrase "sustainable trails" is used on cypress. Don't get me wrong, TAP has been great for Seymour and fromme, but the idea f mellower grades, and bench cuts on cypress doesn't really work for me. Cypress is about steep, scary, butt puckering trails, trails that could only be built there because it was isolated enough for builders to get away with it. If we can keep them that will be great, but I feel like BPP is going to want more bobsled and less horseman, or wildcherry.

It will be west vancouver. The future will depend on the riding community and what it asks for.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 15, 2012, 12:33 p.m.

I believe with a little creativity you can have steep gnar that's similar to IMBA / NSMBA guidelines. Rock rolls are extremely sustainable. It's the stuff in between that will take a little creativity.

Much like Whistler, the compromise might have to be that particularly tough sections are given signage and a ride-around. Ride-arounds don't have any effect on you if you're not taking them.

Nov. 15, 2012, 4:42 p.m.

Is the meeting strictly for builders or can concerned and interested riders attend as well?

Nov. 15, 2012, 4:44 p.m.

Is the meeting strictly for builders or can concerned and interested riders attend as well?

This meeting is just for current builders. Concerned riders should go to the NSMBA AGM!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 15, 2012, 8:17 p.m.

The future will depend on the riding community and what it asks for.

This! The biking community was awesome at the Open House in March! DWV Parks got the messages that Cypress riders care hugely about the trails and want to keep the gnar.

It's going to take patience for the next steps, as DWV works to figure out what the best options are for the Upper Lands and develops out a plan with BPP. It will be a public process, so stay informed and let them know your opinion. This thread's a good place to opine.

The best thing for the trails right now is to keep the relationships positive. That's why we want to meet with the builders and let them know how they can help.