Hey Coach! Drops and Rollovers

July 31, 2012, 12:51 a.m.

Mason Mashon and Ken Doraty have a new episode of NSMB's Hey Coach. Good technique to put into practice in the bike parks or on your local curb cut…

Get schooled on hucks and steeps...

flickr

July 31, 2012, 10:47 a.m.

ken doraty is the man.

July 31, 2012, 11:25 a.m.

Speed's pretty key. If your lunge runs out of lungeness before your back wheel is off the lip, you're going down.

Uphill drops really suck.

bitter experience

July 31, 2012, 1:37 p.m.

So … every time I see one of these I always wonder,

1. how to determine how much speed for each sized drop, I know it all has to do with feel and experience, but is there a general rule of thumb?
2. depending on speed, how far out are you looking for your landing?
3. where do you initiate your lunge?
4. do you initiate your lunge with your legs or lead in with your arms and then your legs?
5. how much "pop" if any for flat or sloping drops?
6. when you talk about balance approaching the drop, are you behind, over the seat, or forward?

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

July 31, 2012, 8:33 p.m.

Nice video instruction,
I like how they freeze the motion of the demonstration rider, while time keeps moving forward for the narrator.
Much better instruction than I got for the GLC drops.
As an aside, you ever notice how time seems to stretch when you're in the middle of a near death experience? How many times has that happened to you?

July 31, 2012, 9:14 p.m.

that was great. but i think the most important thing to remember about doing drops is timing, and the speed that you approach the drop. and i would suppose that's connected to the "point of no return" that they refer to. i guess it all comes with practice.

and i have definitely had an "oh shit" moment where my weight's been in the wrong spot, or the speed's been wrong. lots of variables.

ETA: or maybe i just suck - that's likely a better explanation :lol:

July 31, 2012, 10:17 p.m.

awesome editing! Love the stop motion with the explanation in the same screen.

July 31, 2012, 11:29 p.m.

So … every time I see one of these I always wonder,

1. how to determine how much speed for each sized drop, I know it all has to do with feel and experience, but is there a general rule of thumb?
2. depending on speed, how far out are you looking for your landing?
3. where do you initiate your lunge?
4. do you initiate your lunge with your legs or lead in with your arms and then your legs?
5. how much "pop" if any for flat or sloping drops?
6. when you talk about balance approaching the drop, are you behind, over the seat, or forward?

RE #1: until you get enough experience to make these judgements yourself, following someone is a great way to get there. If I didn't ride with guys that are mental I'd never progress. It's kind of funny watching one of the better guys in the crew drop a few levels when the hot shot who usually pushes them is away for that ride.

Aug. 1, 2012, 12:05 a.m.

Cool informative vid, thanks.

Aug. 1, 2012, 12:41 p.m.

That was a pretty good edit. Sound advice for starting out that's for sure.

I would agree that a mention of timing would have been good as that is fairly key and could be explained even on that curb drop. If you mess up on the timing there is a solid chance of bad things happening. Learned that the hard way.

However speed is definitely a learn from experience thing even though that sometimes doesn't always work out either.

Aug. 1, 2012, 12:53 p.m.

Great vid but they missed an important point - once committed I always close my eyes until I feel the tire hit the ground again. You really don't want to look in case it all goes wrong. :nerd:

Cheers Ben

Aug. 2, 2012, 3:41 p.m.

Very good video. I think this will help people alot! Nice and detailed tips and discription of what to do.
Only one thing id like to mention tho.. When Ken rolled off that curb, he looked pretty much straight down at his bb and not where hes going. I wouldnt recommend this haha. Always keep your head up!!!! and look infront of you so you can spot the landing and your runout.

superheros
I like bikes