GT Bikes for 2011 - Are they back on top?

Jan. 19, 2011, 3:18 p.m.

Hope fully GT will have given their lower end 29ers a better geometry then they have had.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 19, 2011, 4:19 p.m.

I-Drive, a complex solution to a nonexistent problem :)

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Jan. 19, 2011, 4:27 p.m.

They review the Sanction (I think) in the January issue of Decline - it's a sick looking ride. It would probably be an excellent AM bike for the Pacific Northwest. Overbuilt for a lot of other areas, but about right for this part of the world.

it's definitely on the beefy side, but would generally agree with that assessment. did most of the mountain of hell course (aside from the glacier) as well as the Venosc trail (1000m of vert in just a few kms) and it handled the rough stuff quite well, the formula brakes, not so much…..the sanction is more on the freeride/dh side of AM imo, while the force would be the more pedally side.

Jan. 19, 2011, 4:29 p.m.

The 'problem' is a patent on FSR means everyone else needs their own 'patented' suspension system to legitimise their bikes.

Jan. 19, 2011, 4:32 p.m.

It comes down to $$$ because by creating a problem even if it is no existent will allow you to create the solution. And thus making money of you.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 19, 2011, 4:53 p.m.

You're both right of course but for a lot of people (well me anyway) something as ridiculous as I-Drive could be the reason you wouldn't buy the bike. For example if the Fury had the same main pivot location and a tradition front triangle it would be rather appealing IMO.

Edit. Actually scrap that. It'd need a lower main pivot location :) But you see what I'm getting at. Simple carbon single pivot DH frame.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Jan. 19, 2011, 5:13 p.m.

Sorry but I'm not really seeing your reasoning.

Pedal induced bob is not a problem? Single pivots have an amazing ride quality however one of their largest flaws is pedal bob. With Independent Drivetrain you get the great characteristics of of a single pivot, but it eliminates that pedal bob.

Don't knock it untill you have tried it.

Just Ride.

Jan. 19, 2011, 5:59 p.m.

Actually a single pivot optimised for the limited chainring range used on DH bikes has no more squat (and a lot less than some) than any other design. As far as I can tell I-Drive achieves no further improvement over a single pivot with regard to chain growth/squat associated issues.

- Morgman

Jan. 19, 2011, 7:15 p.m.

No Way Ray! Laguna Rads!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 19, 2011, 11:05 p.m.

Actually a single pivot optimised for the limited chainring range used on DH bikes has no more squat (and a lot less than some) than any other design. As far as I can tell I-Drive achieves no further improvement over a single pivot with regard to chain growth/squat associated issues.

The Independent Drivetrain allows for constant and consistent chain tension under pedal loads. GT's system gets you damn close to completely separating pedaling forces and suspension bob. Yes you can optimize a single pivot bike to be set up for a specific gearing to lessen the pedal induced bob, however this usually comes at the price of sacrificing small bump sensitivity. I love the idea of the Independent Drivetrain on the Fury because you can have a super quick and responsive bike that is nice and supple off the top for the chatter, yet can pedal like an XC bike.

Maybe you have had totally different experience with single pivot big bikes, however of the ones I have owned, there has been a significant amount of pedal bob. The only two single pivot (linkage driven single pivot) bikes I have owned have been a Trek Session 10 and a Cannondale Judge. Both had noticeable pedal bob (Judge moreso than Session) however because of the characteristics of SP these two where by far my favorite bikes I have owned.

I do look forward to getting on a Fury this year and comparing it to everything I have used thus far and seeing if it lives up to the positive vibe I have gotten from anyone who has ever used the I-Drive or Independent Drivetrain System before.

Just Ride.

Jan. 20, 2011, 12:48 a.m.

The Independent Drivetrain allows for constant and consistent chain tension under pedal loads. GT's system gets you damn close to completely separating pedaling forces and suspension bob. Yes you can optimize a single pivot bike to be set up for a specific gearing to lessen the pedal induced bob, however this usually comes at the price of sacrificing small bump sensitivity. I love the idea of the Independent Drivetrain on the Fury because you can have a super quick and responsive bike that is nice and supple off the top for the chatter, yet can pedal like an XC bike.

For a single pivot system to have any kind (it's basically impossible with a traditional drive chain) of consistent chain force through the range of suspension movement the moment of force has to be as close to the main pivot as possible. Something like this - http://www.sicklines.com/2008/02/28/2009-commencal-animal-supreme-dh/

I'm not saying the bike won't work, just that the claims made of drive chain/suspension force separation are at best exaggerated. It does look good though :)

- Morgman

Feb. 15, 2014, 10:26 a.m.

Im assuming all you naysayers have never seen or ridden a gt with with idrive. I have and own a distortion now. It is an incredible system. It has no pedal bob and yes pedal bob is a big problem with a lot of bikes or fox would not have had to invent pro pedal.
Also it is nit complicated and super easy to clean and service with now special tools required just two allen wrenches.

Feb. 15, 2014, 12:32 p.m.

I'm assuming that you never checked the date of this thread

Feb. 15, 2014, 7:17 p.m.

Nope I saw it
I was feeling stooped;]