Greg Watts Takes CWX Slopestyle 2009

Aug. 17, 2009, 1:39 p.m.

Question of the day: How did the bunny get nabbed by security so fast but the streaker made it all the way down the course?

Who wants to tackle a nekid dude?

Aug. 18, 2009, 12:01 p.m.

Because the streaker obviously wasn't packing any dangerous weapons

:lol:

I have a sequence of photos showing a security guard trying to 'guide' him off the course, but the streaker ran around him and kept going. In later photos the guard just has his arms crossed and is laughing. As opposed to big events where they don't show streakers on tv, at Crankworx they kept him up on the big screen the ENTIRE time - what a great contrast to the big sports where everyone is so concerned about offending someone or losing advertisers.

Aug. 18, 2009, 12:26 p.m.

^^^
It was too bad though, the rider who just finished didn't get to talk to the announcer and his friends and family wouldn't have been able to see him on the webcast By the time Whistler was done with the streaker, there wasn't time for the athlete.

He had to ride off with no post-run interview.

Maybe he didn't want to do one anyway.

Aug. 18, 2009, 12:37 p.m.

it was my first crankworx and i had a great time. i've seen guys go big before but never seen anyone actually doing a trick while going big so i was stoked. and of course my wife and i were cheering for chubs.

if i could only ride that smooth i would be happy.

can't comment on brad cause this was my first time. as for the streaker….what did he do when he got to the fans at the bottom?

Aug. 19, 2009, 12:14 a.m.

was andreu holding a different bike when he was holding the best trick check than the bike he rode while pulling the flat 360 superman?

RIde. Eat. Repeat.

Aug. 21, 2009, 7:49 a.m.

as for the streaker….what did he do when he got to the fans at the bottom?

I think he turned around and calmly walked back to his clothes at the top of the hill.

Aug. 21, 2009, 1:42 p.m.

I can't believe I'm the only person who preferred this year's format. In previous years, we'd have to watch 2 hours of riders playing it safe (i.e. boring) hoping to make the finals and then half an hour of amazing riding. I liked this year's because all runs were worthwhile. So many of the runs were top-notch that when riders played it safe those runs stood out because they were boring compared to all the great runs we were seeing.

The article even mentions the higher caliber of riding this year. Think about it - the riding was better over all not just because riders are getting stronger but because any given run could have resulted in $15k. In previous years we wouldn't have seen such amazing runs until the end of the night. Riders trying hard to win $15 is good news for us the spectators.

Reducing the field for the final run probably wasn't necessary and made the format harder for the announcers to explain. Let everyone do a third run and just call the format best run of three.

As for those thinking someone should have won best trick - it was rider judged. I liked having the best trick award during the slopestyle instead of a separate event, but I guess it will probably go back to being its own event next year.