Giveaway: Your favourite day of the year, Daylight Savings!

March 9, 2012, 1:24 p.m.

ok..i was a jerk trying to be funny, and i got owned.:crazy:

sorry jfern

sent from my blackberry while in the principles office.

March 9, 2012, 2:29 p.m.

DST sucks. I get all confused about which way the clocks are supposed to go. It makes it even harder to figure out what time I should or shouldn't call family elsewhere in the world. It means I get less night riding in, which also means that more people can see how shonky my old bike is. Oh, and it also means more people out on the regular evening rides, so the rides are slower.

In short, DST makes me grumpy. All because cows need more time to eat grass, or something along those lines.

March 9, 2012, 6:18 p.m.

One hour less of sleep!Who cares! We can sleep when we are dead! I tell us.But we have chores to do!We have nothing but riding!Don't ride that trail it's illegal!Shut up and hold the fuck on!I am tired lets go home! Enough weakling the sun is still up in the sky,we have more time it's daylight savings,now RIDE! Hurry and we can get another maybe even two! You were right Master,we live to ride as one!

March 9, 2012, 7:11 p.m.

DST sucks. I get all confused about which way the clocks are supposed to go.

What's easier to remember than "spring forward, fall back"?

Also, not to the general population - the correct term is Daylight Saving Time, not Savings.

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/daylight-savings-time.html

Many print, online, and broadcast media sources that cover news articles, announcements or features about daylight saving time (DST) often use the phrase “daylight savings” or “daylight savings time”. These phrases are used to describe the possible energy or electricity savings that are made (or not made) as a result of such a schedule.

However, daylight saving time (DST) is considered to be the correct term for the practice of advancing clocks to save energy because it refers to a time for saving daylight. Nonetheless, “daylight savings time” is still commonly used, especially in countries such as Australia, Canada and the United States.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

March 9, 2012, 8:26 p.m.

In the dark my light,
ouch - the battery does bite,
daylight savings might.

There was a fast fellow named Hill,
Who said, "I have a specialized skill,
it involves some rubber,
and a will to give'r,
an hour of light and a little downhill."

(the expurgated version)

March 12, 2012, 1:09 p.m.

dst for me meant one hour less sleep, before my first bike race ever, working night shift at costco biking home at 11 and getting my 2 boys to bed at 12am is more like torture cause of the time change. But I was so damn excited to wake at 5am it didnt bother me too much. Off to Bear Mt. for some sleep deprived dh ….on my hardtail, oh yes a cromo hardie, having broke my norco 6 i had to ride the old commuter w/ some old marz 150s, my placement was mid pack 27th, not bad for this old bird.

March 13, 2012, 8:29 a.m.

5 days away, and I can't sleep! My rims are naked.
so… who's in the lead for these awesome tires so far?
Judges… hmmm???

March 14, 2012, 9:26 a.m.

Daylight savings is the beginning of our season. Long shuttle days, cold beers, summer afternoons that never end and a ribbon of single track stretching into the distance. Winters icy hand recedes leaving nothing but brown pow as our trails come back to life!

March 14, 2012, 8:53 p.m.

The stationary bike and my brain are long overdue for a tune-up after tormenting through countless hours of after work rides in my living room watching From the Inside Out and Seasons over and over again. I know my hard work does not go without reward for when the day comes that I gain back my precious hour of daylight, everything will change. Daylight Savings is like a summer trip to Whistler or a Fall road trip to Moab; it never really occurs to you how fortuitous you are until you hit that first shred of red dirt single track at full speed or flow through that perfectly carved berm flying through the mossy forest. When you finally come to full realization of where you are and what you are experiencing, it’s a glorious moment of reverence and respect for everything that you have toiled and labored for, etched into the slates of your memory.
Work seems to creep by like moss growing on a log. Then it happens, the clock strikes 6:00PM and I’m out the door and on the road. A quick drive to the trailhead seems to take an hour and by the time my car is in park, I am halfway undressed and getting ready to ride. Racing the sunset, I pedal up the 1000 foot climb with a renewed vigor as if I was being chased by a carnivorous animal. I reach the top of the mountain in a whirlwind of sweat, blood, tears, and with the realization of just how valuable the hour I was just given truly is. While the rest of California tunes into American Idol or mocks reality wasting time playing video games, here I find myself standing 1000 feet above, left with the thankless task of closing down my favorite single track. As the last glimpse of sun begins, its descent behind the grassy hills in a burst of red and orange, I drop down the first stretch of winding trail and into the black shadows of the towering Oak trees. The dark does not bother me as I know each turn by heart after months of reliving them in my head from the soft rubber seat of my stationary bike in the warmth of my living room. I am kept company by the soothing sounds of crickets and by the soft rubber of my tires pitching dirt into the grass while clutching hard to keep me on the sinuous trail. Closing down the trail for the first night of many makes me appreciate and realize that time is one of the best gifts one can receive and it must never be wasted nor taken for granted because you can never get it back. I roll back to the car in the dark with an ear to ear smile and the knowledge and realization that can only be gained by a lone rider on a mission to close down their favorite trail.

March 15, 2012, 12:56 p.m.

No bullsh!t, the reason that March 14th, Daylight Savings, is genuinely my favorite day of the year is because that means my winter hibernation is finally almost over. The "winter layer" I put on from watching too much TV, crushing sixers of Newcastle Brown, eating soul food to help keep my spirits up during grim Northwest winters, and not quite finishing that agonizingly boring spinning workout can finally be melted away doing the things I love most. I get to dust off the bike and start wrenching with a purpose, I have time after classes to go for a ride in conditions that aren't apocalyptic, I get another hour on the hill when I snowboard on weekends, and I get to start daydreaming during finance classes about spring riding trips. Whistler, Moab, the Shore, Pemberton and Downieville are all high on the list this year, and I finally can start planning them. Daylight savings means that my tires will soon be floating through loam, not splashing through inches of black mud. It means its time to finally scratch that winter-long itch.

March 18, 2012, 4:38 p.m.

Three words: After Work Rides!