Gear Shots #70

March 14, 2011, 11:11 a.m.

Here we are lamenting the loss of a long time local CNC company, and this is what you have to say about Straitline's prices? Come on…

It has nothing to do with Raceface. I had bought(brand new off LBS) diablous stem, atlas fr bar, atlas am crankset.
Not that it matters.

we're talking about a set of pedals, which you can't really enhance the performance by a whole lot. especially with five tens. Even for the bling factor, they're under your feet.

you could probably buy 2.5x mg-1s and they would outlast them.

150bux is a ridiculous price.. especially if they're going to get shit-kicked all season long.

March 14, 2011, 11:16 a.m.

150bux is a ridiculous price.. especially if they're going to get shit-kicked all season long.

freedom hater…

;)

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

March 14, 2011, 11:23 a.m.

freedom hater…

;)

you have reviewed the pedals.

So i ask, are the pedals worth the cost? especially for short term use(let's say 1season).

edit:
i do think straitline makes good product. I would definitely buy a straitline stem/lever(if mine broke), bashring etc.. but the pedal's price is a little reddddunkyrousss

March 14, 2011, 11:29 a.m.

you have reviewed the pedals.

So i ask, are the pedals worth the cost? especially for short term use(let's say 1season).

edit:
i do think straitline makes good product. I would definitely buy a straitline stem/lever(if mine broke), bashring etc.. but the pedal's price is a little reddddunkyrousss

I also paid for the pedals with my own coin.

I would say they are definitely worth the $$ - they still look great, run like new and are re-buildable. Think of them like the "Chris King Headset" of pedals - they will most likely follow you through several bikes.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

March 14, 2011, 11:36 a.m.

we're talking about a set of pedals, which you can't really enhance the performance by a whole lot. especially with five tens. Even for the bling factor, they're under your feet.

See, I would disagree here strongly. I came off a set of mg-1s to these pedals and I definitely feel that there was an enhancement. This is a wider body pedal with way more traction and lends to the solid feel of my bike and to my connection to it. They can also be taken apart and serviced in about 15 minutes, not that I've had to do that yet. Pins are rock solid and easy to replace if and when needed.

Besides, given that I can ride these happily with a set of old skate shoes its basically the same $ investment up as you with five tens.

($120 shoes + $60 pedals) = ($30 shoes + $150 pedals)

Just depends on where you want to spend your $ I guess.

"Everybody loves something, even if its just tortillas"

March 14, 2011, 12:10 p.m.

It has nothing to do with Raceface. I had bought(brand new off LBS) diablous stem, atlas fr bar, atlas am crankset.
Not that it matters.

My comment had everything to do with RaceFace. Locally designed and built parts have_ intrinsic value_, especially when they're among the best on the market.

MG-1s are not the same style of pedal. They are thicker, not as wide, and don't have nearly the options for pin placement.

The equivalent Wellgo pedal is the B065, which are more expensive than MG-1s and retail for $90. I am riding these, and am very happy with the thin profile and wide platform.

flickr

March 14, 2011, 12:16 p.m.

I've spent quite a bit of time riding others straitline pedals and the super wide body is pretty cool. Its more than just having more traction but also having just a more solid platform for your foot.

Fortunatly you can get some really cheep wide platform pedals in every colour these days from welgo (or other rebranded versions) and the straitline ones are super heavy. I've had my DMR mag v-12's with ti axles total cost 60$ and they have lasted 3 seasons but now the mag pedal bodys could use replacing after this year. Rebuilding pedals is super fast either way.

NOTE: While I don't think the straitline pedals are worth it, I did fork out the money for their brake levers because those things are the shit.

March 14, 2011, 12:48 p.m.

My comment had everything to do with RaceFace. Locally designed and built parts have_ intrinsic value_, especially when they're among the best on the market.

MG-1s are not the same style of pedal. They are thicker, not as wide, and don't have nearly the options for pin placement.

The equivalent Wellgo pedal is the B065, which are more expensive than MG-1s and retail for $90. I am riding these, and am very happy with the thin profile and wide platform.

So because they're made locally, I should have to fork out a large chunk of money for it?

You paid 90 bux for welgo mg-1? I think I paid 60. I'm not sure how much straitlines are at local shops but I'm guessing its still pretty close to its msrp.

As kevin mentioned, you can get flatter, wider platform pedals. Mg-1 is just an example I used because its the pedal everyone I know who rides swears by(granted we have five ten).

Who needs pin replacement option when you can just get new pedals. In addition. Welgo mg-1 had smooth bearing and only one pin missing after two seasons.
Posted via Mobile Device

March 14, 2011, 12:51 p.m.

I"m pretty sure raceface had competitive pricings with shimano and others.
Posted via Mobile Device

March 14, 2011, 1:23 p.m.

Now I'm not sure if you're trolling or just ignorant.

I have Wellgo B065s, not MG-1s. Did you even read my last post? Because at this point I'm not sure you can see it past the sole of that Five-Ten.

flickr

March 14, 2011, 1:29 p.m.

good quality pedal but too heavy for my likings… plastic may be the wave of the future. Light and cheap coming from Deity:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240498

:canada:

March 14, 2011, 1:44 p.m.

yeah, i've read a few reviews stating seizing issues as well…leads to them threadin out of the crank like in the reviewers case.

the deities look interesting…been running plastic on my 20" for a while and they do the job - better for shinners too. the cro-mo pins should help the grip in the wet which would be my main concern for trail use. deity has a nice, light magnesium as well - http://www.deitycomponents.com/decoy_lt_pedals2.htm

March 14, 2011, 2:12 p.m.

good quality pedal but too heavy for my likings… plastic may be the wave of the future. Light and cheap coming from Deity:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240498

i wouldn't use plastic… no matter how strong they can be… can't be as durable as metal.

got couple of friends doing crazy flatland bmx and they even break plastic pedals =/

i think for "grip" wise, if you use pins they use on straitlines, i'm sure it'll be the same, but i think just having the whole "made in canada" i guess people feel more patriotic?

I am all for supporting local products but paying 150 for pedal isn't my cup of tea. I don't own any straitline components but I do own RF.

March 14, 2011, 2:18 p.m.

Now I'm not sure if you're trolling or just ignorant.

I have Wellgo B065s, not MG-1s. Did you even read my last post? Because at this point I'm not sure you can see it past the sole of that Five-Ten.

Sorry, blackberry sucks. And frankly don't care.

Main point being.
With five ten. You get diminishing return with grip of said pedal.
The main reason why people praise straitline pedal is mostly because of the large platform(which can be had with other brand).
If you want to look at pure performance. Obviously, straitline has issue. On top of that its not the lightest(not that I care).
And the look(rewaga stated that first when I asked him question.)

Posted via Mobile Device

March 14, 2011, 2:18 p.m.

i wouldn't use plastic… no matter how strong they can be… can't be as durable as metal.

I dunno about that..I'm wondering if the " Injection molded from a Nylon Fiber blend" will be more flexible than the typical polycarbonate bmx material and bend rather than break. it's possibly better for the kind of beats pedals take and for a third the price you can afford to experiment.