Gear Shots #55 - Rocky, Dakine, and a book

June 18, 2009, 9:32 p.m.

I wear soccer shins because no one has sent me some decent leg armour to review!

(In reality I arrived back in Canada from travelling 4 years ago with no money, no job, no car, no house but I had a bike and wanted to ride so $10 at value village later and I had leg armor!!!)

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

June 19, 2009, 12:25 a.m.

so i take it that would be a warranty issue?

Ask a shop? 90% of the time mine has been fine. When I put a lot of water in there is some seepage. Has that been your experience?

June 19, 2009, 9:25 a.m.

My Nalgene bladder leaked as well at first. Now I make sure to listen for that "click" sound when connecting the hose to the bladder (mine was leaking at the connection point). It would become slightly detached when I stuffed the bladder into the pack. I also compress any extra air out of the bladder (screw the cap on lightly and push on the bladder to get the air out…then screw the cap on all the way). Anyway…worked for me!

June 19, 2009, 12:08 p.m.

the hydrapak bladders work great. Easy to open, easy to fill, never leak

I don't normally buy trailguide books but that one looks pretty good, it would definitely encourage me to ride more valley trails. Sadly, CN is the only one I've ridden in the last few years

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 19, 2009, 12:50 p.m.

Flocks of riders on gargamel, oh and khyber.

I would love to try khyber. Is it like, totally evil to use the lifts and cut off some of the climb?

June 19, 2009, 2:16 p.m.

Ask a shop? 90% of the time mine has been fine. When I put a lot of water in there is some seepage. Has that been your experience?

it leaks out enough that anything in my bag plus the bag is wet, plus my undershorts and shorts. add to the fact that i no longer have 3L of water, but maybe 1.5L. it will be sealed fine, and the water will exit out of where the lid attaches to the bag. squeezing the air out of the bag just makes more water come out. doing a pressure test results in a mixture of water and air coming out from where the lid attachs to the bag.

as of right now Im back on the bottle until i get a new. im willing to try out the new bag as it looks like it may actually work as intended.

My Nalgene bladder leaked as well at first. Now I make sure to listen for that "click" sound when connecting the hose to the bladder (mine was leaking at the connection point).

not even a drop has come out of there

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 19, 2009, 10:34 p.m.

hammerschmidt?! holy…me=jealous

June 23, 2009, 9:40 a.m.

hammerschmidt?! holy…me=jealous

You don't know how jealous - the hammerschmidt is [Borat]very nice[/Borat]

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

June 23, 2009, 3:38 p.m.

I've been getting emails about the Pelican case, so I thought I'd post something here. It's a 1200 case, set up for a D-SLR body, one zoom lens and a prime lens.

I haven't weighed the whole kit, but I suspect it would come in at around 5 or 6 lbs.

UPDATE - weighted it this morning. Canon XSi, 28-80 lens, 24mm lens and case weight 5.18 lbs. Plus a full pack makes for a heavy load, but you do what you have to.

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert

June 25, 2009, 3:25 a.m.

Is the trail book widely available in Whistler?

I'm coming from Australia in a few weeks and would be super keen to hit some of the trails in the valley.

Would I be better securing a copy before I leave or will I be OK just to grab one on arrival?

June 25, 2009, 7:44 a.m.

Melon,

Armchair books and a number of bike stores have it in Whistler. ARmchair books are right in the middle of the Village. Or you could just get it beforehand so you can drool!