Fromme Construction - what are they doing to my mountain?

Dec. 10, 2008, 12:39 p.m.

Also on this note I want to again thank the members of the community who dedicate their personal time to fighting the political fight. Your tremendous efforts are very appreciated by myself and I'm sure by everyone else who lives/rides/loves the North Shore.

-m

Matt, I truly second that. :beer: to all of 'em.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 10, 2008, 12:53 p.m.

^^^^^^
A third to that, many great times and adventures have been had on this mountain, thanks to all who have helped make it happen and hopefully the DNV doesn't ruin it.

Shed head!

Dec. 10, 2008, 12:57 p.m.

The road upgrade project was discussed at the Mt. Fromme Residents Association AGM. We were told by the DNV that it was being done because the road has such poor design, with respect to culverts and cross-section layout. This has led to major erosion in the manner seen at the 3rd switchback.

Dec. 10, 2008, 1 p.m.

I would think the gravel road was just to provide access for equipment to build the bridge. I wonder if the new bridge is large enough or spans enough of the washout to not get washed away or damaged next time it rains really hard. Was Abelard done with a helicopter? How did the structural members get there? That location is easily too far in to have constructed a temporary road. I assume a chopper was more economicaly feasable whereas the Cedar washout is pretty close in not to mention some of it is an old logging trail anyway.

Knnn: We must be twins or something. I think the same. Bats bleed internaly from low PSI? I'm sure a bat would bleed from being struck by a turbine blade but from low psi? Hunh? How much sugar did she eat this morning. Please you will see the tower? I guess a large dam way back in the woods that floods millions of hectares that we can't see from N Van is better.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 10, 2008, 1:06 p.m.

Knnn: We must be twins or something. I think the same. Bats bleed internaly from low PSI? I'm sure a bat would bleed from being struck by a turbine blade but from low psi? Hunh?

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/08/25/bats-wind.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRqu4WiLQfk

Get a scuba tank. Go down 100 feet, then swim to the surface as quickly as possible without exhaling. Boom. I gather the same principle applies….

Dec. 10, 2008, 1:16 p.m.

Was Abelard done with a helicopter? How did the structural members get there? That location is easily too far in to have constructed a temporary road. I assume a chopper was more economicaly feasable whereas the Cedar washout is pretty close in not to mention some of it is an old logging trail anyway.

the big pieces were hauled in BY HAND by nsmba members. I seem to remember there was also an ATV carrying in stuff too. We carried them up from the powerlines top of St Marys on the old skidder road that goes diagonally up past Boundary.

Dec. 10, 2008, 1:20 p.m.

Grannies is on the map at the kiosk.

The map they posted was the recommended map from the Fromme Classification Plan.

DNV said this map was approved at the council meeting last June. It was our understanding that the final map would be based on this map but would result after further consultation since the recommended map had some glaring issues.

We had a meeting where we went over the recommended map and hopefully our recommendations will be considered when they replace the map in January.

They put this map up quickly for a photo op for the election.

The bridge on Cedar trail was half complete Nov 11th. Dieter said it was scheduled to be completed Nov 28th. The DNV had a Bobcat on that road Dec. 4th. It seems this road was not required to put the bridge in.

One rationale for this road would be for emergency vehicles to get access to Cedar trail. But an ATV can't get over the Bridge! DNV land ends between this bridge and the exit of Kirkford where it becomes Lynn Headwaters (Metro Vancouver). It was my understanding that Metro Vancouver didn't want the Cedar trail to be upgraded. Not many people hike this trail since it takes an hour to get to it from where you can park.

So not really sure why district put resources into this road.

The material for the Abelard bridge was carried in by volunteers. It was paid for with a grant from MEC and as a memorial to Lester Barth.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Dec. 10, 2008, 1:24 p.m.

Grannies is on the map at the kiosk.

The map they posted was the recommended map from the Fromme Classification Plan.

DNV said this map was approved at the council meeting last June. It was our understanding that the final map would be based on this map but would result after further consultation since the recommended map had some glaring issues.

We had a meeting where we went over the recommended map and hopefully our recommendations will be considered when they replace the map in January.

They put this map up quickly for a photo op for the election.

The bridge on Cedar trail was half complete Nov 11th. Dieter said it was scheduled to be completed Nov 28th. The DNV had a Bobcat on that road Dec. 4th. It seems this road was not required to put the bridge in.

One rationale for this road would be for emergency vehicles to get access to Cedar trail. But an ATV can't get over the Bridge! DNV land ends between this bridge and the exit of Kirkford where it becomes Lynn Headwaters (Metro Vancouver). It was my understanding that Metro Vancouver didn't want the Cedar trail to be upgraded. Not many people hike this trail since it takes an hour to get to it from where you can park.

So not really sure why district put resources into this road.

The material for the Abelard bridge was carried in by volunteers. It was paid for with a grant from MEC and as a memorial to Lester Barth.

Thanks Sharon, for the correction on Grannies. I will hafta look a bit harder next time…

Dec. 10, 2008, 1:44 p.m.

I would think the gravel road was just to provide access for equipment to build the bridge.

That would make sense except that the road was built after the bridge was already completed. And the excavator certainly could have rolled in on the existing road.

It's possible that the materials were made available by the road construction for minimal cost but it's certainly not free to have a bobcat, and excavator, operators for both and a swamper. The excavator was probably the easiest way to clear the river rock from the east approach to the bridge but it could have been done with a few humans with shovels and strong backs as well.

Dec. 10, 2008, 1:47 p.m.

If Grouse would turn the lights off when not in use they might be able to cut down on power usage.

Whatever happened to conservation ideas being the cheapest and easiest.

Dec. 10, 2008, 1:57 p.m.

If Grouse would turn the lights off when not in use they might be able to cut down on power usage.

Whatever happened to conservation ideas being the cheapest and easiest.

No bloody kidding.. Does anyone know why are they always on?

I mean they can be shut off after the resturant closes…

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Dec. 10, 2008, 2:03 p.m.

No bloody kidding.. Does anyone know why are they always on?

I mean they can be shut off after the resturant closes…

Dan

I worked up there years ago and people said that yvr paid grouse to keep the lights on as a reference for plane traffic.

Dec. 10, 2008, 2:20 p.m.

I worked up there years ago and people said that yvr paid grouse to keep the lights on as a reference for plane traffic.

In our day and age when planes can land and flight pretty much "blind" due to improvements in radar and ground control technology - this does not seem to make any sense. Correct me if I am wrong.

- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 10, 2008, 2:24 p.m.

In our day and age when planes can land and flight pretty much "blind" due to improvements in radar and ground control technology - this does not seem to make any sense. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think that this would fall under the heading of a back up system. Besides sure technology is wonderful but it has been known to fail.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 10, 2008, 2:36 p.m.

I think that this would fall under the heading of a back up system. Besides sure technology is wonderful but it has been known to fail.

Yes, and No - I mean I have only ever been a tourist but this light up the mountain is weird.

- Kristen Ulmer