Fromme Construction - what are they doing to my mountain?

Dec. 11, 2008, 8:13 a.m.

Sleeper you say:

"You're all going off like you have some right to be to say what should or shouldn't happen to the road. They're trying to build some "green" energy for once, but because it may happen to effect where you like to ride your bikes you're all freaking out."

It might be on private land, but when it affects a whole community (not only hikers and bikers), the community has a say, yes. It's the right of the users to "freak out" because they would like to protect a place. Otherwise how many harming projects would have been done in the past, everywhere?

Now the other idea here is "green". That's exactly my point: we/they don't need that energy. So, as long as it harms nature just a tiny bit, it's not worth it, and it's not green at all. Green energy is legitimate only if it's for a legitimate use. Would you leave a hybrid car on all night just because it's greener than other cars? No! It wouldn't make sens, and that's the same for that damn resort.

So you just got the energy to post this how.
I'm confused.

Dec. 11, 2008, 9:16 a.m.

I would have thought that with all the talk of MC etc. that ppl on here were aware of the NIMBY concept. Sleeper has a point…

That said, so does Mattj. A few improvements to the road and a wind turbine on the top of grouse are not something to get concerened about. If this represents an attempt to develop more of Fromme mountain, then I am totally opposed. Not on the grounds that we need to protect every inch of forest, but on the grounds that the area is better used for recreation. Density is what we need in the district, not more sprawl. (I dont wanna live in surrey, delta, langley etc. for this very reason.) And b4 anyone jumps on me, I ride my bike to work every day and live in a high rise condo…

Dec. 11, 2008, 9:25 a.m.

The government has a responsibility to represent the interests of its constituents. This applies for any scale of government in any democratic place in the world. Period. When the DNV makes decisions to cater to the crazy whining of one household, and in return goes against a large community, this is corruption.

So we here at NSMB have a right to discuss what is happening without our knowledge. Plus, I think you missed the satirical nature of the "noone consulted me" bit. Cam's not expecting the DNV council to email him prior to any decisions, but just pointing out how the DNV talks for days and days about how to maintain existing trails, forces builders to jump through hoops to get a permit to do groundwork on existing trails, and then goes and smashes in a disgusting new road and bridge where it wasn't even needed, all without discussion. This is grounds for a community to get together and debate about what's going on.

-m

Dec. 11, 2008, 10:19 a.m.

So we here at NSMB have a right to discuss what is happening without our knowledge. Plus, I think you missed the satirical nature of the "noone consulted me" bit. Cam's not expecting the DNV council to email him prior to any decisions, but just pointing out how the DNV talks for days and days about how to maintain existing trails, forces builders to jump through hoops to get a permit to do groundwork on existing trails, and then goes and smashes in a disgusting new road and bridge where it wasn't even needed, all without discussion. This is grounds for a community to get together and debate about what's going on.

-m

You are absolutely right Matt.

The next best thing for you to do would be to contact DNV staff who made these decisions and express your concerns to the councilors.

Let us know what they have to say.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Dec. 11, 2008, 10:22 a.m.

Mattj I glanced over your post and misread it, I've reread it editted and my apologies.

Dec. 11, 2008, 1:17 p.m.

its true that we have to expect change on the fringe of a growing city, but urban sprawl isn't the way to do it. I have no problem with the road upgrades or the wind turbine and I don't think Fromme is in imminent danger of being developed into a subdivision, but its good that that we get nervous over these somewhat insignificant things because it keeps us vigilant.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 11, 2008, 1:34 p.m.

In our day and age when planes can land and flight pretty much "blind" due to improvements in radar and ground control technology - this does not seem to make any sense. Correct me if I am wrong.

If instruments fail pilots would have to switch to visual.

Or

Grouse has BC Hydro stock…

Dec. 11, 2008, 1:41 p.m.

If instruments fail pilots would have to switch to visual.

I'm sorry but if you're flying over this and you need a few lights of a ski hill to figure out where you are, you're gonna die.

Dec. 11, 2008, 4:52 p.m.

Maybe they are done. No equipment up there today. They were just loading up a big roller machine that had rolled the road.

Chainsmoker 8)

Dec. 11, 2008, 8:42 p.m.

Maybe they are done. No equipment up there today. They were just loading up a big roller machine that had rolled the road.

That's great news. Let's hope they're done for the winter.

How soft was the road?

Dec. 12, 2008, 6:11 p.m.

I'm sorry but if you're flying over this and you need a few lights of a ski hill to figure out where you are, you're gonna die.

Game. Set. Match.

The road was very soft today…and it had white stuff all over it, too. Wicked awesome gnarly conditions to ride in - what a blast.

Bats: ok we know the problem exists, who's going to figure out a device to keep bats away from wind turbines and wind farms? Poor little guys. I'm sure there's a way. Think radar interference of some sort. That's one problem potentially solved.

Grouse lights - for sure they could just run a few at a time or at least half at once, or put 'em out after midnight or something. F*ck the people who complain about it, seriously. Oh, lights are so pretty, but look at this wasted planet. Unfknblvbl.

sleeper you make a few good points (sometimes more than twice) but if you go back and read again, you'll see that a big part of the concern for most of us is that what we're hearing and what is happening doesn't quite jive, so people are a bit suspicious. Your point about NIMBYism has some validity, but then again, this is nsmb.com so of course this is what concerns us.We are a special interest group and we don't only ride on those trails, we run, hike, walk dogs and snowshoe. Those trails are an important source of recreation and exercise that service a large population of people who love the chance to not have to exercise in a gym - a progressive government should recognize the long term health benefits and encourage trail use and protection accordingly.

I even thought Grouse was thinking of building a mellow bike trail down the hill from the top - imagine that. Good thing or bad thing? Either way it would be smart of Grouse from the perspective of stimulating even more tourist traffic (sshhh don't tell them).

Dec. 16, 2008, 4:59 p.m.

I asked the DNV about the road from Mt. Hwy to Cedar trail. I was told that they needed to put in more of an even surface to get rocks and material into the area where the bridge exits and to get material around some of the trees to protect them.

The material was from the area.

As for more development happening on Grouse or Fromme. Highly unlikely.

After this arrg process even the people who already own land on Fromme can't do anything with it.

Grouse mountain gets so much money from tourists on the Grouse side it wouldn't be worth expanding towards Fromme. The only development I've heard of is for them to expand their wildlife refuge.

Dec. 16, 2008, 5 p.m.

Plus a big bad of cash from one anonymous donar.

lose your account!

Yes a cash donation from the estate of lester barth.

Dec. 17, 2008, 8:02 p.m.

After this arrg process even the people who already own land on Fromme can't do anything with it.

Hey Sharon, is ARRG dead? I have heard nothing is a very long time.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Dec. 17, 2008, 8:55 p.m.

Hey Sharon, is ARRG dead? I have heard nothing is a very long time.

After the June council meeting where they accepted the recommendations I guess they figured they didn't need us anymore.

I thought the trail system was supposed to be open to further input before any decisions were made.

So I guess no decisions are being made…