Expresso Lives! (or does it?)

May 20, 2012, 11:26 a.m.

let the old "must build a skinny ramp here for no reason" mentality die..

build it with flow and technical lines that make use of what mother nature provides with the terrain..

ps i love Expresso but avoided the woodwork over the years as a personal bane.

my 2 cents.

May 20, 2012, 7:52 p.m.

yeah but you coasties don't like bumps in the trail

Totally harshes my mellow maaaaaan

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 21, 2012, 9:34 a.m.

I'm suprised that some builders are against wood work on Shore trails….The Shore is second growth logged forest. I find live trees about six inches in diameter and cut em down. These trees are stunts that compeat with mature trees. I only use Ceadar. Please only sweet smelling,long lasting Ceadar. Ceadar can last for hundreds of years! I find the wood burried in the ground for decades with no rot. Espresso is a huge job. The artcle is well written . Who ever takes this on. Thank you.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

May 21, 2012, 10:08 p.m.

Did our walk through to re-evaluate tonight and I think we have found a good balance.

May 21, 2012, 10:20 p.m.

Did our walk through to re-evaluate tonight and I think we have found a good balance.

Thanks for your commitment to this Cam.

Dan

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

May 21, 2012, 10:41 p.m.

Thanks for everyone that is involved and there hardwork!

May 22, 2012, 9:52 a.m.

That is great to hear, thanks for taking all the input into account.

May 22, 2012, 12:49 p.m.

FWIW another vote for "likes wooden stunts". Rode Expresso on Sat. It was brilliant. I guess I come from the era of riders who consider chundered out steeps with holes, roots, and rocks, a viable line choice. I know this stuff is considered an unrideable buzz-kill for some - but that's the point. You know there's a line through it - you rise to the challenge.

Could the coming renovations leave the wood intact and simply buff the b-lines? Fallen timber becoming part of the trail - that's fucking COOL! Since when did incorporating a big bad-ass fallen cedar go out of fashion.

Reality dictates we have associations, committees and the like to petition the powers that be - service the people who need to feel important. It's a political world beyond the forest… However these amazing trails were conceived of one or two guys' passion for building and riding. Being in the forest. We need to stay connected to the dirt, roots, cedar and rocks. Trail by committee on one end of the scale and trails by Shaloamer on the other. Balance is what some of us are concerned about loosing. Please keep wicked trails wicked!

edit.
BTW I appreciate the association and the hardworking members. Just adding my 2 cents to the trail debate.

May 22, 2012, 6:13 p.m.

FWIW another vote for "likes wooden stunts". Rode Expresso on Sat. It was brilliant. I guess I come from the era of riders who consider chundered out steeps with holes, roots, and rocks, a viable line choice. I know this stuff is considered an unrideable buzz-kill for some - but that's the point. You know there's a line through it - you rise to the challenge.

Could the coming renovations leave the wood intact and simply buff the b-lines? Fallen timber becoming part of the trail - that's fucking COOL! Since when did incorporating a big bad-ass fallen cedar go out of fashion.

Reality dictates we have associations, committees and the like to petition the powers that be - service the people who need to feel important. It's a political world beyond the forest… However these amazing trails were conceived of one or two guys' passion for building and riding. Being in the forest. We need to stay connected to the dirt, roots, cedar and rocks. Trail by committee on one end of the scale and trails by Shaloamer on the other. Balance is what some of us are concerned about loosing. Please keep wicked trails wicked!

edit.
BTW I appreciate the association and the hardworking members. Just adding my 2 cents to the trail debate.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Did you ride the down ramp off the big fallen log? I guess it was dry Saturday so not too bad, but in the wet that off camber death trap is a problem. What about the other stunts? The so-called double shot with the broken down ramp? It seems strange to me that nobody has done any work on those moves when so many of you seem to like the trail with stunts. The Double Shot has been broken for a very long time. More than a year I'd say, despite a builder having a permit to work on it last year.

Maybe you don't like it that much? ;)

Have any of you walked the trail with a Sharpie lately btw?

May 22, 2012, 6:38 p.m.

Did you ride the down ramp off the big fallen log? I guess it was dry Saturday so not too bad, but in the wet that off camber death trap is a problem. What about the other stunts? The so-called double shot with the broken down ramp? It seems strange to me that nobody has done any work on those moves when so many of you seem to like the trail with stunts. The Double Shot has been broken for a very long time. More than a year I'd say, despite a builder having a permit to work on it last year.

Maybe you don't like it that much? ;)

Have any of you walked the trail with a Sharpie lately btw?

zing!

May 22, 2012, 6:50 p.m.

Thad - I meant to say that I loved the bridge history. Those structures are awesome.

May 22, 2012, 10:12 p.m.

Did you ride the down ramp off the big fallen log? I guess it was dry Saturday so not too bad, but in the wet that off camber death trap is a problem. What about the other stunts? The so-called double shot with the broken down ramp?

I've just gone for a ride and had an adjustment :dizzy: If this trail gets any sort of love it'll be dynamite. No nasty climb like Ladies and the steep downhills are oportunities to create some longer more interesting detours. I felt initially that something "traditional" (I also ride a Brodie Expresso) was under attack but there are plenty of crazy trails. So many. Plow that thing into something new :rawr:

May 22, 2012, 10:14 p.m.

Here in Powell River I build classic XC because that's how I ride. I seldom use structures other than bridges to cross drainage areas. Others are building elevated ramps, launches, whatever. Riders choose what to ride, and etiquette says we don't mess with each other's work without permission. I've seen a lot of crap built and left to rot and become a hazard. Then what? The structure addicts need to accept responsibility for that.

May 23, 2012, 9:55 a.m.

… and etiquette says we don't mess with each other's work without permission.

It would be nice if we could return to that kind of good manners in North Van.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

May 24, 2012, 10:05 a.m.

How many of you folks with opinions are coming out to the trail day on Sunday?

Details...