Crash on Mt. 7 - Two Times the Hurt

June 24, 2011, 7:01 p.m.

shit, I wish I had not watched that full screen.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

June 26, 2011, 8:19 p.m.

that was a crazy harsh looking crash. haven't ridden that line yet, but soon

June 28, 2011, 4:06 p.m.

Don't look at the tree, don't look at the tree, don't look at the tree, don't look at the tree… looks at the tree FUUUUUU….!

June 28, 2011, 11:07 p.m.

ugh. I've been out for the last 6 weeks because of a similar situation minus the buddy running me over. He came pretty close though, he said he had a feeling that he should stop and wait for me to ride out. Good thing he followed his instinct.

I hit a similar sized drop on some local trails, smacked into one tree which catapulted me up into a second tree. I was upside down when my shoulder hit the second tree, chipped my collar bone. I fell straight down from that tree which we all estimate was probably 6 foot vertical onto my head. I had put my hand down to break my fall and try and roll out but the tree prevented me from doing so. Ended up impaling my hand on a sharp rock and sprained the major ligaments/tendons in that wrist.

At that point the bike was still tangled in my legs and came down on top of me and I rolled away with it about 10 feet further down the hill. When I started to get up, I had a very bad bleed from my hand because part of the muscle in my thumb decided to come out for some air. Both myself and my buddy are EMRs so I started checking myself over while he ran his assessment as well.

I thought all I had was my hand until my buddy found that I had a hole in the back of my knee. Long story short, the QR on my seat post decided to open up mid-crash and impale itself all the way to the pivot into the back of my knee. Anyone who's riding a V10.3 and has the Santacruz seat collar, you know how big that stupid thing is. Two sets of 6 internal stitches to re-attach part of my hamstring plus 10 more outside to close it all up. 6 weeks later, I'm good to go minus the tendons in my wrist. As for the bike, bent top crown on my boxxer plus some stanction scratches.

I severely dislike trees now.

June 29, 2011, midnight

ouch

June 29, 2011, 6:32 a.m.

ouich is right. heal up, bro. :beer: trees are okay, but trees at top speed - buyer beware.

June 29, 2011, 7:42 a.m.

ugh. I've been out for the last 6 weeks because of a similar situation minus the buddy running me over. He came pretty close though, he said he had a feeling that he should stop and wait for me to ride out. Good thing he followed his instinct.

holy shit buddy! :| ok, you win, that was horrific

healing vibes

June 30, 2011, 3:57 p.m.

ugh. I've been out for the last 6 weeks because of a similar situation minus the buddy running me over. He came pretty close though, he said he had a feeling that he should stop and wait for me to ride out. Good thing he followed his instinct..

Sucks to hear. Hope the hurt goes away soon!