Crankworx Slopestyle Report Part 1

Aug. 20, 2008, 12:16 p.m.

I get it…Gay. Instead of guy. You crack me up. Do you write your own material?

In my books Andreu is as solid as they come. On the way to the airport he took the time to stop in and see Justin Wyper at Lions Gate Hospital. If that makes you gay I'll take that over straight every time.

Agree, Andreu's run was great. And the double back flip was something else too.
I think he was the only one that tried that trick?
It was impressive for sure.

I'm not sure that alcohol can affect what you did earlier in the day. This shot was taken during the finals when they were already done. Or are you saying they got bumped because they are the sort of riders who consume beer? If that's the case it's surprising that anyone made the finals.

If they were having a beer after they got eliminated, of course there is nothing wrong with that..
But if they were drinking before their run, could even be considered doping..

Aug. 20, 2008, 8:49 p.m.

Not to change the tone of the thread that's developed, but I for one am glad to see Red Bull back. I find the new tricks coming out of slopestyle truly amazing (who could argue with how insanely sweet a double back is), but for me Mtn Biking is all about being out in some natural landscape - be it woods or slick rock - and finding a cool way to get down. To me it really hit home watching the video of Cowan explaining the course and how "you go here, then maybe you go here or here"; there were options, but basically it was choice A or B or C. What makes freeride truly amazing (in my opinion more so than a double back) is that there is just a giant obstacle called a mtn and you have to get down it in some way. When I first started riding I couldn't even ride the obvious lines and now I am starting to see lines that aren't really there. What is that quote.. "Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not?" To me, mtn biking is great simply because it takes a raw mtn with unbelievable features and asks "why not?"

Aug. 20, 2008, 9:08 p.m.

For those with questions about Darren's performance, here ya go: http://darrenberrecloth69.com/its-been-a-long-winter-2/

Its not all sunshine and lollipops.

Aug. 20, 2008, 10:16 p.m.

For those with questions about Darren's performance, here ya go: http://darrenberrecloth69.com/its-been-a-long-winter-2/

holy…:| that guy is TOUGH. major props to him

Aug. 20, 2008, 10:21 p.m.

i am not going to lie, crankworx this year was soooo good. one thing that bugged me was that after lacondeguy stomped his double flip he raised his hand for applaud and his run wasnt over. mayybe if he did that after it would have been better. and that brad guy started calling pendiullums quad cans…..

Team Pinkbike/Devinci

Aug. 20, 2008, 10:53 p.m.

:eek:

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Aug. 20, 2008, 10:57 p.m.

Also Brad Ewan -the announcer- seemed to have toned down the his "Sunday Sunday Sunday" announcing, and was way better then previous years. I like Brad and had to defend him before the comp but after it was over everyone who didn't like him before said he was way better this time.
Who was doing color??

Also massive props to Stacy Kohut who announced the Canada Cup… didn't know it was him but did make a mental note watching it at the base that this guy really made watching nothing [when the riders weren't on course] really exciting. Love to see him get the nod on any new races.

~22Pride~

I do private bike camps as well but they are for ladies only and usually involve a sleepover.

Aug. 21, 2008, 8:59 a.m.

Its not the beers they consumed after they failed to qualify that held them back,its the booze they have been drinking for the last 364 days that has held them back from continuing their progression as riders.imo.

They both have put on weight, lost their drive to keep learning tricks and put solid runs together.Same thing for zinc.imo
They are living the life of the freerider, but are they riding and training like a 21st century freerider? Doubt it.

It happened in fmx, and its happening in mtb. The real athletes will be rewarded in the end. McCaul and brandon will be back next year healthy and ready to raise the bar once again.You need to be a real athlete to compete in mtb slopestyle in the 21st century.

Claw has been recovering from injuries suffered in the winter and Strait has been racing World Cup DH - doing quite well, I might add. Don't slag whom you don't know.

TomPro

Aug. 21, 2008, 10:55 a.m.

Who was doing color??

I found this…in the article.

Another welcome addition was Kyle Ebbett doing colour commentary. He was articulate, knowledgeable and he and Brad Ewan made a solid team. Hopefully he

Aug. 21, 2008, 3:46 p.m.

Its not the beers they consumed after they failed to qualify that held them back,its the booze they have been drinking for the last 364 days that has held them back from continuing their progression as riders.imo.

They both have put on weight, lost their drive to keep learning tricks and put solid runs together.Same thing for zinc.imo
They are living the life of the freerider, but are they riding and training like a 21st century freerider? Doubt it.

It happened in fmx, and its happening in mtb. The real athletes will be rewarded in the end. McCaul and brandon will be back next year healthy and ready to raise the bar once again.You need to be a real athlete to compete in mtb slopestyle in the 21st century.

man do i ever have a boner for you yank. read the story posted by kperras then come back on here and appologize. then come up to van and look me up so we can go for a beer. darren is one of the toughest, hardest workin dudes in the game. period

Aug. 21, 2008, 7:40 p.m.

…darren is one of the toughest, hardest workin dudes in the game. period

:werd:

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Aug. 21, 2008, 10:22 p.m.

Thats amazing, he is definatly one tough guy.

www.bikebrewery.com

Aug. 22, 2008, 12:32 p.m.

I gotta see the Claw send a flip… ….I'd pay money to see that!

How much? now pay up… seriously

Grubworks.com
Northwest Dirt Culture III - Teaser#1
Northwest Dirt Culture III - Teaser#2
-GGruBB-