Crankworx Slopestyle Live! Brandon Takes it!

July 24, 2011, 9:57 a.m.

I think Brandon deserved the win…he was so smooth tricked everything I think and did it with style,

Except when he crashed his brains out off the finish step-down in the first qualifying run….. He also looked shady as shit up top. Over-rotating everything and nearly binning it a few times.

If Seminuk or anyone had tried the shit Messere was pulling or went half as high as him off that hipped quarter they would be dead. Over the years I've seen a load of kids doing this flip/spin/whip shit and lots of them are very good at it but Messere is the first one I've seen that is truly gifted at it.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

July 24, 2011, 10:08 a.m.

The hip to the rider's right was enormous, but really, all anyone did was boost it. Whoop dee doo.

Nah. The boosts were awesome. Plenty of tricks on the rest of the course, fun to see a pure high jump comp not the hip.

Messere boosting that hip was outrageous, he was higher then any of the others and was charging the crowd up with it. That kid is redonkulus.

July 24, 2011, 10:09 a.m.

For the first time in years, I'm actually glad that I stayed up and watched the competition despite the fact that it was broadcasted at 3am over here.

Judging was off as always but I guess it could have been worse. The first few runs were rated way too high which in turn lead to ridiculously low scores for some guys later on during the first runs. For instance, I'd say that Mike Montgomerys run was one of the best of the first heat yet he got the lowest score out of all the riders.

Anyways, could have been worse and there's always some controversy going on. In my opinion Semenuk deserved the win, his second run was very solid and very clean. I wouldn't exactly call his winning run "shady as shit". That being said though, Messere definitely would have had it in the bag if he hadn't binned it on the hip. Hell he could even have straight aired the rest and still would have been way above the rest. He rode amazingly well, that's for sure.

And for what it's worth… I usually don't care for slopestyle but Messere boosting the hip jump was rowdy. Awesome!

July 24, 2011, 10:15 a.m.

Good comp, I'm happy with the results - way to so Semenuk! And congrats to the new guy for making the podium!

viperfunk.com

July 24, 2011, 10:28 a.m.

Oh yeah if Anthony hadn't have crashed his final run on that HUGE hip…then yes he should have won…but he did…and everything he did that run went to shit.

I wouldn't call Semenuks run shady either, he had it pinned. Calling out his crash in qualies but not calling out Anthony's crash in the super finals is kinda stupid too. He crashed out a stellar run this year…he will be on the podium in the future, no question in my mind.

July 24, 2011, 11:42 a.m.

Oh yeah if Anthony hadn't have crashed his final run on that HUGE hip…then yes he should have won…but he did…and everything he did that run went to shit.

I wouldn't call Semenuks run shady either, he had it pinned. Calling out his crash in qualies but not calling out Anthony's crash in the super finals is kinda stupid too. He crashed out a stellar run this year…he will be on the podium in the future, no question in my mind.

Messere's qualifying run was easily the best of the event but the big Sram superstars still got better scores. Oh well at least the big Redbull/Sram sponsored guy won the Redbull event and the industry machine rolls on.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

July 24, 2011, 12:05 p.m.

Of course its a conspiracy…lol…

Watch his run again and call it shady…
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Kokanee-Crankworx-2011-Semenuks-Winning-Run.html

He tricks EVERY stunt…and then does a flip whip to finish it off…yeah…pretty shady…haha…

July 24, 2011, 12:05 p.m.

Most riders had a sketchy first run. Most even commenting to Brad Ewan (Hulk Hogan?) that they were glad to get it out of the way and looking forward to the second run.

I watched Messere at Jumpship and he stood out large with heavy talent…BUT as with Crankworx, none of it means shit if you don't make it through the finish line. Kid is a beast for sure and the 3rd place finish story when he was an alternate the day before (and barely that!) is awesome in itself. He certainly has a bright future once his hormones cool a bit and he finds his zen.

Semenuks second run was super smooth and textbook. Well deserving of the win. Zink was one of the few that layed a money first run but the pressure after that was too much and he couldn't best Brandon.

I don't think that contest could have gone better. Undecided until the last 2 runs, Brandon throws the gold medal dis from Zink back in his face with a win, we got a serious taste of the future and no serious injury.

Whats not to love.

July 24, 2011, 12:09 p.m.

Messere's qualifying run was easily the best of the event but the big Sram superstars still got better scores. Oh well at least the big Redbull/Sram sponsored guy won the Redbull event and the industry machine rolls on.

We'll have no digs about SRAM sponsorship on this website please ;)

As for my shifting, it is always flawless thanks to my Sram X.O Trigger shifters. Running X.O components is such an asset. If you dont believe me, try some. I guarantee youll never go back.

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 24, 2011, 12:23 p.m.

Of course its a conspiracy…lol…

No conspiracy. Just biased judging as always.

Seminuk over rotates everything in his qualifying run and then tones it down and does the same run for the finals. Plus I thought they scored for amplitude? I'd love to see that score card because Messere rewrote it.

Anyway whoever actually won the 1000 or so people around us were going freaking nuts for one guy, and he didn't win.

- Morgman

July 24, 2011, 1:48 p.m.

When are they going to loose this guy? He comes off as some second rate Jesse Ventura. Dude is better suited calling Monster Truck events then he is calling a bike comp. Where did they find this Neanderthal in the first place?

Someone has a man crush.

July 24, 2011, 2:37 p.m.

It seemed like all the riders he talked to didn't want him in their face.

Thread killer

July 24, 2011, 3:24 p.m.

Anyone have video of this huge hip hit I'm hearing about?

July 24, 2011, 3:41 p.m.

Why is the Joy Ride the only event that does not have a reply on the website?

July 24, 2011, 4:32 p.m.

Anyone have video of this huge hip hit I'm hearing about?

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/Anthony-Messere-MEGA-BLASTING-at-Crankworx,8388/sspomer,2

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"