Crankworx Slopestyle Invitees Announced

May 26, 2009, 1:11 a.m.

Here are the deets...

Let us know what you think about the format changes, the invite list and anything else that's stuck in your craw.

Here's the list. Anyone missing?

Amir Kabbani Germany
Andreu Lacondeguy Spain
Andrew Taylor
USA
Ben Boyko Canada
Benny Korthaus Germany
Brandon Semenuk
Canada
Cam McCaul USA
Cameron Zink
USA
Darren Berrecloth Canada
Graham Agassiz Canada
Greg Watts USA
Jamie Goldman USA
Kelly McGarry New Zealand
Lance McDermott
UK
Paul Basagoita USA
Sam Pilgrim UK
Trond Hansen
Norway
Tyler McCaul USA
*denotes automatic invitation to Monster Energy Slopestyle

May 26, 2009, 8:49 p.m.

Good to see Aggy in there, and good luck to Lance. I hope he lays it down like a mofo.

May 26, 2009, 9:17 p.m.

Where are Ryder and Casey Groves?

http://kamloopsbikes.blogspot.com

May 26, 2009, 9:18 p.m.

absolutely ridiculous

May 26, 2009, 10:20 p.m.

How is Dan Brody suppose to win if he isn't invited.

May 26, 2009, 10:29 p.m.

not a big fan of the "invitee" comps personally. Too much politics goes into selection. Sam Hill and Steve Peat have to qualify everytime they go in a World Cup race. Isn't Tyler McCaul full on DH ? Bring on Chubey, Wyper, Groves, Gully, Ryder, etc.

:canada:

May 26, 2009, 10:41 p.m.

top 20 wc riders are gauranteed spots in the final. the others can still qualify at the other events can't they? not sure how else to select for this.

www.travelswithtyler.com

May 26, 2009, 10:43 p.m.

there is a Slopestyle at C-workx?? I've still never watched it live.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

May 26, 2009, 10:53 p.m.

I think 16 is a good number. Last year the comp was pretty long. I also like the two run format.

As far as qualifying using a best trick format? I'm not so sure about that. Riding a solid slopestyle run is nothing like being able to nail one big trick. Since we're using the DH analogy, it's a bit like nailing one section and then making the final.

It would also be cool to see a better breakdown of the selection criteria but clearly Crankworx has no obligation to provide that. It would be great to see a breakdown of each of the qualified riders' results from last season and to compare that to a few of the non-qualified riders.

I don't recall seeing any big results from Kelly McGarry or Tyler McCaul last year. Did they win some big contests? How about Andrew Taylor? I imagine they did have some solid results or they wouldn't be on the list.

I'm glad it isn't my job to make that list.

May 26, 2009, 11:01 p.m.

the way they have it proposed, a guy like Paul Bas wouldn't have made it in.

Brett Tippie for announcer with LeJerk as a side kick…

:canada:

May 26, 2009, 11:37 p.m.

So Casey wins the best trick last year and isn't invited automatically this year.. Humm..

FAMILYBIKERIDE
823/Ringle rear wheel FS!
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=103825

i went black over two years ago and haven't gone back

May 27, 2009, 8:17 a.m.

hmmmm.

…wyper…

May 27, 2009, 9:09 a.m.

It's all sponsorship money. Big sponsors are getting their riders in: Adidas, Kona, Monster, Redbull, etc.

Those who could be on the list need to tour the the slopestyle events, as they should anyway because it is their job, and earn a spot on the roster.

May 27, 2009, 9:52 a.m.

How is Dan Brody suppose to win if he isn't invited.

not a big fan of the "invitee" comps personally. Too much politics goes into selection. Sam Hill and Steve Peat have to qualify everytime they go in a World Cup race. Isn't Tyler McCaul full on DH ? Bring on Chubey, Wyper, Groves, Gully, Ryder, etc.

these

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/

May 27, 2009, 9:47 p.m.

A few random observations after reading the release and thinking about it for a day.
- No one seems to have commented on the actual format. For years people have complained that the early runs are somewhat meaningless as they don't determine the winner and the top guys aren't going full out. Under the new format, all runs are equally significant from the first rider to drop to the last. From a spectator point of view, this should be very good news.
- The Trick Showdown was great, but a lot of the bigger slopestyle guys either didn't participate or barely participated. With only a few riders automatically in Saturday's main event, this means the Trick Showdown is more significant - which again is good news for spectators.

As far as qualifying using a best trick format? I'm not so sure about that. Riding a solid slopestyle run is nothing like being able to nail one big trick. Since we're using the DH analogy, it's a bit like nailing one section and then making the final.

That is somewhat true, but I still think it's worth it if the riders now have to try harder at the Trick Showdown than they did in '08.

- Rider selection. This is always going to be unpopular. Let's agree that 15-20 is the ideal number. No one can argue with the following: Andreu Lacondeguy/Boyco/Zink/Paul B (past winners), and Berrecloth/McDermott/C McCaul (past 2nd place finishes [HTML_REMOVED] top results in other comps).

That's 7 names, and after taking into account the 6 tba/wildcard spots, that leaves up to 2-7 more confirmed names to get to a total of 15-20. Who should be on the list? Groves [HTML_REMOVED] Watts after winning last year's Trick Showdown? Or someone else instead? It's time to name names.