Castles and Fortresses in Chilcotin High Country - Part 2 Added!

Sept. 30, 2012, 9:34 a.m.

Punky - http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=54180 - re South end of Taseko.

If you want to see W of Taseko look for reports on the Chilko - Tchaikazan area. It's possible to do that by bike (Greg S, Randy S, Lee Lau, Peter W other trips by Trudel's group) but you have to time the crossings of the rivers as they swell with glacier melt so are passable in morning but not later in the day

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Oct. 2, 2012, 11:08 p.m.

Part 2 is now up HERE.

I made an attempt to link to large files on this one but they didn't all turn out. Trying to fix it only makes it worse. I love code!

flickr

Oct. 3, 2012, 6:22 a.m.

Jesus Christ, Patty…that looks unreal. The colors in the photos are spectacular.

Nicely done…and my bucket list just got a little more crowded.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Oct. 3, 2012, 7:53 a.m.

If you like this, you should follow Pat's blog:
http://patmulrooney.blogspot.ca/

Lots of interesting adventures in there.

Oct. 3, 2012, 10:36 a.m.

The Shimano softer soled trail shoes are garbage and have been for the last 3 years. My out-sole ripped in half after 8 months. Haven't had the same probs with their XC shoes tho…

CS

Oct. 3, 2012, 12:24 p.m.

awesome adventure, Pat, thanks for sharing!

Oct. 3, 2012, 7:48 p.m.

Thanks very much guys….

Oct. 4, 2012, 11:37 a.m.

Nice to see there are other sanely insane people out there. Though 5 days is pushing limits for tolerable loads. I've done up to four days. Though the use of a plane is well not quite pure enough.
Its tough as once you go over a certain load your speed plumets and you take way more time. I've done week trips but broken up into two sections. Do the south end of the Southern Chilcotins for a few days then head north to Relay creek and tour around there. Or head to Yalakom valley.
With a day load you can ride up to Gun creek to Deer pass down to Tyaughton river and back to Jewel Creek bridge in a day. Take anything more and you need two days.

Oct. 4, 2012, 12:47 p.m.

Nice to see there are other sanely insane people out there. Though 5 days is pushing limits for tolerable loads. I've done up to four days. Though the use of a plane is well not quite pure enough.
Its tough as once you go over a certain load your speed plumets and you take way more time. I've done week trips but broken up into two sections. Do the south end of the Southern Chilcotins for a few days then head north to Relay creek and tour around there. Or head to Yalakom valley.
With a day load you can ride up to Gun creek to Deer pass down to Tyaughton river and back to Jewel Creek bridge in a day. Take anything more and you need two days.

Lets not go there re the pure argument. You probably drove to the trailhead from somewhere unless your name is Mark and your hair is red. That plane is a tool - no more no less.

Greg and Randy Stoltman went Bella Coola to Gun once but their packs were insane. Others have done the Tchaikazan to Gun over 12 day periods. Some of the originals guys (Terry Walker, Greg Maurer etc) did 5 - 7 multi days year after year with much less packable gear than we have.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Oct. 4, 2012, 6:27 p.m.

If you guys need a Sherpa I can help, I have a strong back and lungs!:dog:
But seriously, my biggest issue is food as well on long trips. With my set up now, revelate seatbag-framebag and a small pack I'm pretty light. I never weighed it but think it's less then 45 lbs including the bike and can last 2 days easy and able to ride almost anything.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Oct. 4, 2012, 7:59 p.m.

yet another awesome trip Pat. I don't know anyone who gets after it as consistently and awesomely as you.

Oct. 6, 2012, 8:46 p.m.

most of these trails have been created by mule deer over the millenia. yes, they are all horse trails, and horse travel is still the predominant type. i don't know if any mtn bikers have built any of them. the traditional horsemen/guides/outfitters know the area best of all, and you would do well to spend some time talking to them getting to know and understand the place, from a perspective that is outside the relatively narrow and recent mtn bike one.