Car-Free Freeriding - Shuttle with the bus

Oct. 28, 2010, 2:40 p.m.

I not only ride to all my destinations, I swim towing my bike with my teeth. I don't use any consumer goods or wipe after I go, and when I fart I make ozone that repairs the hole over Australia, it's even lilac scented.

O.k. I not that good, but I do ride up SFU and Seymour(most of the time).

alright!!!

Oct. 28, 2010, 3:32 p.m.

you lazy f***.

Hey man, don't call me lazy. I happened to be in a full body cast that day. Can't let water get in the cast!

Oct. 28, 2010, 3:53 p.m.

Considering where your bike comes from, all the different materials and processes involved in making it and all its parts, it seems a bit pointless to go to a load of hassle to get the bus there instead of driving. considering also emmissions from the transport sector are insignificant when compared to the agriculture sector (which you may or not take part in consuming) it seems even less valid. I think my point is if you really 'care' for the environment which, lets face it, could or could not be warming up due to humans, you would live in a cave and not used anything that has produced 'carbon'. you may also have to stop breathing too. Biking on the whole is responsible and promotes healthy living and care for our environments. Having to drive somewhere to do it, I can live with.

classic flawed argument: Since we can't fix everything, why try to do anything? you fail

Oct. 28, 2010, 4:57 p.m.

Nice job on the write up Omar. [He's a patient dude as well.]

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

Oct. 28, 2010, 5:24 p.m.

great article

I normally take the #210 over to Fromme and have had nothing but good experiences with the transit/bus drivers, heck a couple have actually given me a "happy trails" as I got off. We're lucky to have such a transit system here

Oct. 28, 2010, 6:38 p.m.

HAHA Love this article!!!

i was depending on transit all year long and it was great for biking i just dont reccomend to take the 210/211 out of DT in rush hour except your VERY patient!
btw. i had 4 runs in 90 mins on the SFU mt. one day. ;)

i got a good story i wanna share…
last saturday i decided to go to work since the weather forcast was bad. at 10am the sky started to clear up so i got in a bad mood! at 2pm we finished the stupid millwall and i ran outa there with the hope the blueness last's for few more hours but it didnt. so i got home (westend) was tired and moody… but i still got my self up to head out there (lucky my headlight was fully charged). i grabed all my gear and rode to the burrard busstaion in the RAIN! :crybaby:
on my way up the old buck P. lot i see all the bikers on there way home and i think what the heck am i doing here.:???:
the first run was pingu to pangor, i was so excited since i went to the pangor trailday :D! it was horrible i crashed 3 1/2 times in the rain, in the dusk = blahhh…:flame:
but the second run was the best one i've ever had on seymour/pangor. i set myself up with the lights and hit the trail again! i dont know why but even though the conditions could not have been worse i did manage all the features smothly with a big smile!!!!:rocker:
and the best thing i !!!JUST!!! got onto the bus at phips ex. he was acctually taking off already but he stoped again just for me haha that was awesome!!!

taking the bus to the shore is good karma for sure! :D

Oct. 28, 2010, 6:49 p.m.

Great read, really enjoyed something a little different and practical.

road tRip

Oct. 28, 2010, 7:25 p.m.

That was brilliant - MOAR!!

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Oct. 28, 2010, 7:34 p.m.

Considering where your bike comes from, all the different materials and processes involved in making it and all its parts, it seems a bit pointless to go to a load of hassle to get the bus there instead of driving. considering also emmissions from the transport sector are insignificant when compared to the agriculture sector (which you may or not take part in consuming) it seems even less valid. I think my point is if you really 'care' for the environment which, lets face it, could or could not be warming up due to humans, you would live in a cave and not used anything that has produced 'carbon'. you may also have to stop breathing too. Biking on the whole is responsible and promotes healthy living and care for our environments. Having to drive somewhere to do it, I can live with.

I guess Rob Ford does lurk on mountain bike websites.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 28, 2010, 7:51 p.m.

hey i know that guy! i sold him those knee pads!

And by the looks of the picture in the article, you should have sold him shin pads too :lol:

Oct. 28, 2010, 7:55 p.m.

As a rule, everybody at our shop rides out, as the Vic bus routes are all horrible milk runs and take twice as long as riding to get anywhere near Hartland. However, with the early sunsets we've been forced to start driving if we want to get more than a lap or two in after work. We do, however, try to carpool as much as possible and the shop truck is pretty good on gas.

Oct. 28, 2010, 8:19 p.m.

I ride to work enough. Not going to work to ride, thanks. And I'll idle at wendy's afterward waiting for my double cheeseburger. :)

Good for you though.

Oct. 28, 2010, 8:48 p.m.

Really too bad there are too many haters on on here that look down on people using transit to shuttle SFU. We all ride. Quit the negativity.

People really hate on stuff like this?
I can understand some people might say "this isn't for me", but really hate on this?

That's sad…

I do like this new wave of "practical cycling" :clap:

Oct. 28, 2010, 10:12 p.m.

DTES is no big deal… i've never felt more uncomfortable than putting my bike on the front of the 99 at Broadway/Commercial. So many people, a real bad vibe corner, bus driver barking at you to move back… no thanks.

Depending on the route you take, riding might actually be faster than the bus anyway.

Rode by bike into downtown (Howe/Hastings) from Marpole (Hudson/Marine)a few times and it took less time than the 99.. plus the bike route along Angus/Adera is barely used.

All you need for riding is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.

Oct. 28, 2010, 11:42 p.m.

photo (of me) credits go to morgman

Thanks for using them :)

By cost alone, two two-zone trips to the shore is going to cost at least $5 per person, while my car expense is about $3 total (@~7L/100km). That is selfish if you take the environmental stance, but it does mean that we get more quality trail time. Now that both myself and my girlfriend have UPass, we are using it more often, but at the same time our respective school schedules mean we're not riding together as much :(

I live 1.5 blocks from a 210 stop in Vancouver, but admittedly usually take my car to Fromme. I'm usually driving at least one other person over, which is part of why I will take the car, but convenience is obviously part of it as well. Riding to Fromme, I find myself pretty tired when I get to the technical trails. Tired means more mistakes, which should in turn mean toning down the ride, but I rarely do, which results in taking chances. It was this exact scenario that resulted in my worst injury in a while last week.

Seymour, on the other hand, I usually ride to, as Bridal via Fishermans (and the many options that come from there) is a great trip and not very far from the bridge. As that loop is less tech, I don't find the fatigue kicks in as badly - it's about a 3 hour return trip. I also like to finish up with Bottletop, and parking on Riverside Drive just to ride up that hellish first hill on Bridal just doesn't feel right.

Bottom line, the bus is a great option, and I should take advantage of it more - especially when paying for a UPass. (Today I took my bike on the bus to Tsawwassen in order to ride over the border and pick up my cough Magicshines cough from Point Roberts.)

flickr