Burly Surly: A Masochistic Reader's Ride Submission

April 30, 2012, 12:39 a.m.

Adrian Bostock works as a guide for Tyax Adventures – and he does so on a bike with only one gear.

Check out Adrian's ride and the stories surrounding his choice to keep it simple...

flickr

April 30, 2012, 7:27 a.m.

love trail riding my chromag monk.
i'll have to double check, but pretty sure my mom runs 34x20.

April 30, 2012, 7:37 a.m.

I love riding my Karate Monkey. It's awesome!

April 30, 2012, 11:58 a.m.

maybe a single speed only weekend Chilcotin tour?

April 30, 2012, 1:46 p.m.

Thanks for writing this up. I've never run a single speed as I'm not sure my wrecked knees would let me but it makes me think.

Great shots too!

April 30, 2012, 2:51 p.m.

I've attempted to ride singlespeed around here, it sounds all awesome being one with the trail on all that. Then reality sets in and standing for the whole climb and spinning at a glacial pace just sucks.

If you adjust the gear to make climbing a less knee wrenching experience then you get to the top and find yourself short on gears to make the descent fun.

North Van is to straight up and straight down for it.

A stout 3 spd internal gear hub with good ratios would be the ticket. One gear for up, one gear for down, and one gear for anything in between.

April 30, 2012, 2:54 p.m.

I've attempted to ride singlespeed around here, it sounds all awesome being one with the trail on all that. Then reality sets in and standing for the whole climb and spinning at a glacial pace just sucks.

If you adjust the gear to make climbing a less knee wrenching experience then you get to the top and find yourself short on gears to make the descent fun.

North Van is to straight up and straight down for it.

A stout 3 spd internal gear hub with good ratios would be the ticket. One gear for up, one gear for down, and one gear for anything in between.

Yup, I ride my monk xc here and there…but usually only on the lost lake trails, interpretive forest, or some of the stuff I can climb to on paved roads (big timber/tunnel vision/danimal)….granted I run a 32x16, but I like riding more than walking, so gears are the way to go for the most part…

May 1, 2012, 6:19 a.m.

nice adrian!

May 1, 2012, 7:05 p.m.

that tire had plenty of life left in it, morgman

I dont know Flip, I did pretty well at the wheel up last year. ;) but for sure not the bike for every where. climbing on the shore is not the problem, it's the chunky square terrain that makes it hard to keep the flow when your always in the wrong gear.

lycra, might be time for a B.C. SS championships.

Adrian

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

May 1, 2012, 7:17 p.m.

that tire had plenty of life left in it, morgman

I dont know Flip, I did pretty well at the wheel up last year. ;) but for sure not the bike for every where. climbing on the shore is not the problem, it's the chunky square terrain that makes it hard to keep the flow when your always in the wrong gear.

Adrian

I think I need to switch up my gearing to enjoy it more…but then the bike sucks for riding around town! first world problems….

May 1, 2012, 8:25 p.m.

I think I need to switch up my gearing to enjoy it more…but then the bike sucks for riding around town! first world problems….

that is the downside of ssing. riding the roads to get to the trails is soooooo boring. but the trails are great :D

May 1, 2012, 8:30 p.m.

climbing on the shore is not the problem, it's the chunky square terrain that makes it hard to keep the flow when your always in the wrong gear.

Adrian

i'd be stoked just to ride with other ssers, not necessarily race, although I would show up for a race too. Armand at Republic has an interest in a SS race/championship, and I'm sure that the Alberni guys have either talked about it, or would join in…

Adrian, drop a note if you're up for a ride on the shore. i don't think we're going to make it to the Chilcotin this year..

May 2, 2012, 6:53 p.m.

We've been talking a lot about a BC SS-fest: let's do it. Squamish is more SS-friendly than the rest of the corridor. It doesn't have to be official - just a friendly social gathering, right? No insurance, no hassles. ASS would send at least one representative, for sure. Scott, I think you have a mandate here…

May 2, 2012, 6:55 p.m.

We've been talking a lot about a BC SS-fest: let's do it. Squamish is more SS-friendly than the rest of the corridor. It doesn't have to be official - just a friendly social gathering, right? No insurance, no hassles. ASS would send at least one representative, for sure. Scott, I think you have a mandate here…

sounds like a good time!

May 2, 2012, 6:58 p.m.

we were doing SS sundays in squamish for a while. pretty damn fun, there was a lot of terrain to ride.
might have to get that going again.