Big Hit III Review

July 14, 2009, 11:58 p.m.

Mark Steinebach laid a beating to a 2009 Specialized Big Hit III.

Want to hear how this bargain DH sled survived?

Click here...

July 15, 2009, 12:39 a.m.

Nice write up. I had to Google the AMC Pacer:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658533_1658042,00.html

I guess you love it or hate it but I do like the swoops and the practical benefits are there. At least they haven't covered it in tattoos or chintz patterns this year, but it ain't no Session 88, that's true…

July 15, 2009, 8:58 a.m.

The shorter travel and the more [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;budget[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; shock and fork did not kept the bike stuck to the ground. You can point it downhill, lay off the stoppers and hang on. The Big Hit III is DH worthy and it inspired confidence to really mach some of the runs.

I'm not sure what you were trying to say here. The pros say it's great going downhill, but you mention that the suspension didn't keep it stuck to the ground (I think, the grammar error confuses it). The two statements seem to contradict.

July 15, 2009, 9:17 a.m.

Typo - my bad. Fixed now

The shorter travel and the more [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;budget[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; shock and fork kept the bike stuck to the ground. You can point it downhill, lay off the stoppers and hang on. The Big Hit III is DH worthy and it inspired confidence to really mach some of the runs.

July 15, 2009, 11:39 a.m.

Spesh should ditch the Demo 7 and fill out the Big Hit line more with one or two higher end models

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 15, 2009, 1:39 p.m.

there are several advantages the Demo7 has over the BigHit, but it costs more.

:canada:

July 15, 2009, 2:16 p.m.

The very miniscule price difference between the US and CDN MSRP is interesting..has the gouging here eased up a bit?

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

July 15, 2009, 4:10 p.m.

Demo 7s feel quite different to the Big Hit. The bighit is great, but Demos are just the shit.

:england:

July 15, 2009, 8:16 p.m.

Anyone recognize which trails those photos where taken on? Looks pretty nice!

July 18, 2009, 5:27 p.m.

Anyone recognize which trails those photos where taken on? Looks pretty nice!

All of the riding pics were on a variety of trails on Vedder Mountain.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

July 19, 2009, 10:32 a.m.

I obviously cannot speak for Specialized, but I would guess that riders willing to splash out for a frame-only probably want either an SX Trail or Demo. With the Big Hit's current "value" market placement, to anyone willing to build a bike up from a frame it lacks the appeal of either of its two siblings.

Not sure when the original Big Hit came out, but I know that as far back as 2001 (or maybe it was 2002, but I'm pretty sure it was 2001) Big Hits had 24s on the back. I assume the author was thinking the same vintage. Was there a generation of Big Hits before that?

July 19, 2009, 11:44 a.m.

I obviously cannot speak for Specialized, but I would guess that riders willing to splash out for a frame-only probably want either an SX Trail or Demo. With the Big Hit's current "value" market placement, to anyone willing to build a bike up from a frame it lacks the appeal of either of its two siblings.

Not sure when the original Big Hit came out, but I know that as far back as 2001 (or maybe it was 2002, but I'm pretty sure it was 2001) Big Hits had 24s on the back. I assume the author was thinking the same vintage. Was there a generation of Big Hits before that?

I would agree with your fairly wise assertion re: the value (or lack there-of) of building up a bike from a value-based frame. The real value in this kind of build is that it can get someone onto the trails with pretty good gear at a much lower price point than would otherwise be possible. Spesh hits the mark in that regard.

As far as I am aware and according to my researching for this piece, the original BigHits had 24 inch hoops out back but I welcome any contrary opinions (including some proofs please, in the way of a parts spec from said bike).

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

www.vmta.ca

July 20, 2009, 1:44 a.m.

Nice, balanced review…great!:beer:

July 20, 2009, 7:28 a.m.

I owned a 2000 Big Hit…

Gotta say, I had no idea they called those BigHits at the the time. I thought it was an FSR DH or something like that. Good catch :)

I didn't have a real bike in 2000, but found the cash for one shortly after, and I think we all had fenders of some sort. Sometimes I miss them.

The real value in this kind of build is that it can get someone onto the trails with pretty good gear at a much lower price point than would otherwise be possible. Spesh hits the mark in that regard.

I was looking at a couple of BigHits the other day, and agree almost 100%. My only knock against them (for what they are) is the lack of a small chainring. It seems like the kind of bike that is likely to be the only bike for someone getting more into the sport after getting their feet wet, so it is odd that Specialized didn't include a little pedability. Am I off base here?

July 20, 2009, 9:03 a.m.

I owned a 2000 Big Hit and it had a 26 on the back. Gay fenders and all.

http://forums.freeriden.co.nz/files/2000_specialized_big_hit-bikes.jpg

Gotta say, I had no idea they called those BigHits at the the time. I thought it was an FSR DH or something like that. Good catch :)

Vegas Baby, you are so right and I am wrong. I missed that one (re: the 2001 BigHit FSR) and here is my lameass reason……if you look at the photo for the 2000 "Bighit FSR" it is essentially identical to the 1999 FSR which was Spesh's DH bike of the day. No substantive changes (except ultra cool fenders)including identical monocoque frame. If you look at photos and spec of the 2001 BigHit (they dropped the FSR part of the title in 2001) it is the 24 inch rear wheel and hydroformed tubing version which everyone will know (except for the ultracool front fender that they kept over from the 2000 version). So, just as the 2009 BigHit has little to do with its predeceasors, the 2000 version has little or nothing to do with the real version which following in 2001 and for many years after.

http://http://www.bikepedia.com/Images/image.aspx?filename=2001%20Specialized%20Big%20Hit%20FSR%20Comp.jpg

I was looking at a couple of BigHits the other day, and agree almost 100%. My only knock against them (for what they are) is the lack of a small chainring. It seems like the kind of bike that is likely to be the only bike for someone getting more into the sport after getting their feet wet, so it is odd that Specialized didn't include a little pedability. Am I off base here?

Yup, this was my only really significant beef but I have to modulate my opinion given that I really, really like to pedal. I was super disappointed with the lack of a front derailleur (and a dual range chainguide) which would have opened up a whole packet of new possibilities for this worthwhile ride. These would be very worthwhile mods to make if you were considering purchasing this rig.

I owned a 2000 Big Hit and it had a 26 on the back. Gay fenders and all.

http://forums.freeriden.co.nz/files/2000_specialized_big_hit-bikes.jpg

www.vmta.ca