Article comment section

Jan. 14, 2014, 8:11 a.m.

For me, I won't use a Facebook log-on because it would immediately mean that I never switch off from work. I like having the right to rant on about all things bike related and putting across my own point of view and not having conflicting with my work interests. I respect the company I work for, and enjoy working for them, but that doesn't mean I want to spend my evenings marketing for them while drinking beer.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 3, 2014, 8:43 a.m.

i would like to see the old system again around here, it's just so much easier to access the articles through the forum when you're here already. these days i just go to the main site if you guys post an update on fb (and i miss a lot of content)

Feb. 4, 2014, 12:12 p.m.

I'd like to see all the article comments on the forum. You get better discussions going.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 4, 2014, 1:04 p.m.

Please no Facebook logins!!!!

yeah some of us old dudes arent hip to the always online status update horseshit..

ie: no Facebook/Myspace/tweeter whateva other horseshit app is popular atm..

Feb. 8, 2014, 1:25 p.m.

Facebook logins don't mean forum accounts couldn't be used. One or the other isn't the only option.

If a system could be created where Facebook comments and NSMB user comments could be viewed both from the home page and the forum, that would be ideal.
Any Facebook comment on the article would need to be added by a "guest" placeholder in the forum. Although a troll's identity wouldn't be evident on the forum, you would see the posters full name and profile picture via they're Facebook post on the article.
Pros:
Forum and front page discussion
Facebook users could make a comment and walk away, or would be encouraged to make an account if they wanted to argue about a topic more.
Facebook responses would be linked to posters' profiles so NSMB articles would get a little free advertising.
Anyone who had a NSMB account wouldn't have to worry about Facebook and would be able to monitor article discussion from the forum.
Cons
It may not be easy to implement.
In replying to one specific comment, you would need to still have the sub comment section in the article transferred to a original comment quote in the forum.

I would really like to see forum discussion back up. It made it much easier to manage comments.
Omar's Trek Fuel breakdown on Wednesday had my Remedy review linked as a related article. I saw there was a comment added on the Remedy article one month after it had been posted, so the article was no longer on the homepage and I never saw the comment.

Feb. 8, 2014, 3:20 p.m.

Thanks for the continued thoughts, everyone. We won't be able to get this change implemented immediately, as we have some other changes rolling out that will need to be launched and polished before we can move on to the next project on the programming side of things. We are working on it, though.

i would like to see the old system again around here, it's just so much easier to access the articles through the forum when you're here already.

The forum readership is a small percentage of our total audience for the front page. What you're essentially asking for, and it's completely reasonable, is that I make it a habit to post the articles to the forum as well. Why don't I fire that up again this week?

these days i just go to the main site if you guys post an update on fb (and i miss a lot of content)

I post every single front page article to Facebook, but their algorithms don't let all of our fans there see every post. As you probably know, your interaction with a Page or individual's posts is what determines whether you see more or less of what they publish. That's why there are so many pictures of cats on your news feed.

flickr

Feb. 9, 2014, 6:02 a.m.

i know, happens the same with our fb page, these days only content on fb is shown to more fans than just links to content on ones page

March 14, 2014, 1:39 p.m.

The forum readership is a small percentage of our total audience for the front page. What you're essentially asking for, and it's completely reasonable, is that I make it a habit to post the articles to the forum as well. Why don't I fire that up again this week?

I think this is a good way of getting around things at the moment. I think the Obsession article will generate a bit of a discussion if we open it to the forum.

March 14, 2014, 8:50 p.m.

i'm not of crackbook either!!!!!!!

ditto!!

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

March 27, 2014, 11:22 p.m.

Hey All,

The old comment system, which we can all agree wasn't perfect anyway, was not compatible with a recent site update.

We've now got Disqus up and running for front page comments. This will allow you to log in with a Disqus account, Facebook, Twitter, or Google handle. The Disqus account is the option you're looking for if you don't want social media integration.

Please try out the system and check back with any comments or feedback.

Thanks!

flickr

March 28, 2014, 6:11 a.m.

i already use disqus on other sites but i would prefer specific systems on each site (in case of data breaches etc)

March 28, 2014, 8:55 a.m.

Good choice! The Facebook Social Commenting plugin still shows up for right above it for me. It's kinda redundant now. :)

@Sethimus: As a marketer I could go on and on why Disqus is far better than site specific systems, so I can't quite understand your point of view, but I am curious. What kind of 'data breaches' could happen with a commenting system? It doesn't hold anything, other than what's already public.

April 1, 2014, 9:56 a.m.

The Disqus account is the option you're looking for if you don't want social media integration.

A good decision to make Disqus an option. It worked well!

April 1, 2014, 10:04 a.m.

so I have to join disqus now to post on the front page? meh

April 1, 2014, 10:40 a.m.

Every time I try and start an account with Discuss. They say they already have an account with my E-mail. I have used the same password for these sorts of accounts for ever. When I try and log in I have no luck. So #$%^ security. I'm not able to communicate.

PS I love your Aprils Fools post.
Cane Creek Plugs the Market with Energy Suppositories

They are looking for market penetration .LOL