Article comment section

Jan. 9, 2014, 5:41 p.m.

Please no Facebook logins!!!!

Jan. 9, 2014, 5:56 p.m.

It is definitely a polarizing subject. Some people love the idea, others hate it. Care to elaborate beyond exclamation marks?

flickr

Jan. 9, 2014, 6:02 p.m.

yea i won't be doing any fb logins….

Jan. 9, 2014, 6:36 p.m.

i'm not of crackbook either!!!!!!!

Jan. 9, 2014, 6:37 p.m.

i'm not of crackbook either!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 9, 2014, 6:41 p.m.

Didn't take long to exemplify my point here. Wow.

flickr

Jan. 9, 2014, 6:47 p.m.

I thought this was facebook.

Where am I?

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 9, 2014, 7:14 p.m.

It is definitely a polarizing subject. Some people love the idea, others hate it. Care to elaborate beyond exclamation marks?

Though I certainly have a Facebook account I try my best to compartmentalize the various aspects of my digital life.

Whether or not it is effective or even necesary I do not feel comfortable allowing one service to be a master login for multiple unrelated accounts. I logout of Facebook on my browser so I don't get personalized Facebook "like" ads on websites I visit.

I suppose I would just use a dummy account if I was required to do this eventually.

Jan. 9, 2014, 10:30 p.m.

With the current system I can say that while the number of comments has decreased, the number of inane arguments has gone down to pretty much zero.

That’s a net loss of communication and discussion. Seems like you’re throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Many sites are using Facebook login now

Yep, but it’s not clear that it cuts down the troll quotient. Look no further than Google integrating Youtube and G+, which increased spam and trolling. I don’t have a facebook account, so take my comments with a grain of salt;-)

forums are also very old technology

I really think you’ve hit the nail on the head. It’s unbelievable how slowly forum software has evolved. It’s still a couple months away from v1.0 release, but I really like some of the ideas underlying Discourse. Here is the founder Jeff Atwood discussing it a while back on CBC. It’s a pretty interesting listen

http://www.cbc.ca/spark/full-interviews/2013/02/20/discourse-online/index.html

Jan. 9, 2014, 11:29 p.m.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha, kidding.
thanks for 'splainin why the current system exists. i don't care for it either.
why do the articles need visible comments below them? i preferred the forum link.

Jan. 9, 2014, 11:48 p.m.

oh c'mon man it's not that bad, just a few people joking around.

if you really want to keep the comment section to just bizniz then moderate it with fairly tight control. just look at the health and fitness forum; there were a few jackass comments right out of the gate and they were cracked down on right away and the message was sent that there was to be no messing around - to keep the discussiosn on topic and respectful.

and that's what's happened. there's been a few harmless pokes here and there and maybe one or two issues but that's it. people know that the asshatery won't be tolerated and it gets nuked right away. if you take a similar (not necessarily the same but similar) approach with an articles comment forum then there won't be those issues you fear.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 10, 2014, 8:07 a.m.

Sorry, I missed your elaborate explanation post, and yes, did reply somewhat cheekily!!!. I don't, and won't have a Facebook account, as I believe it to be nothing but a marketing tool to collect data on a person and feed them advertising.

Jan. 10, 2014, 8:47 a.m.

Sorry, I missed your elaborate explanation post, and yes, did reply somewhat cheekily!!!. I don't, and won't have a Facebook account, as I believe it to be nothing but a marketing tool to collect data on a person and feed them advertising.

You should also not have any google accounts or linkedin or almost any free "service"…they all do the same thing.

As for the comments, you are screwed any way you go. Unless you see a good way to integrate into the forums I would scrap that idea and go with a solution that will allow users to log in and comment how they want…some really like using FB some hate it, so let them log in with their NSMB user/pass.

The pluses to using FB comments is that the comment gets posted to their wall for all their friends to see and that gets more eyes on the original post on NSMB. I use disqus on my site and it works okay…looking at new solutions for the incoming site redesign, I just thank god I don't have to worry about forums and the trolls that live in them…haha…

Jan. 10, 2014, 8:56 a.m.

The pluses to using FB comments is that the comment gets posted to their wall for all their friends to see …

thats not a plus at all..i have a life outside of nsmb, i don't want feeds from here clogging up my fb…fb login is a bad idea for many reasons. two separate worlds..lets keep it that way…

Jan. 14, 2014, 7:13 a.m.

The pluses to using FB comments is that the comment gets posted to their wall for all their friends to see …haha…

I don't have any friends