Above The Noise

Aug. 22, 2012, 11:41 p.m.

Sick of Crankworx? How about an escape into the alpine? Stephen Matthews guides the trip to Mount Barbour and Tenquille Lake.

Escape here...

flickr

Aug. 22, 2012, 11:56 p.m.

yea guys! looks like I'll have to try that sometime

I ride bikes for nsmb.com, chromag, dissent labs, and I like to have fun! http://instagram.com/markymath

Aug. 23, 2012, 6:47 a.m.

I'm actually doing the same drop on Saturday. AM or DH bike?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 23, 2012, 7:01 a.m.

So how do we book such a day for 4 or 5 guys?

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Aug. 23, 2012, 7:18 a.m.

AM Bike for sure, well, I think anyway! there's a bit of climbing along the way although the trail is pretty chundery at times….Lee, Sharon, the Steins and I were in the flight before Stephen's group…it did not suck!

Aug. 23, 2012, 7:24 a.m.

AM Bike for sure, well, I think anyway! there's a bit of climbing along the way although the trail is pretty chundery at times….Lee, Sharon, the Steins and I were in the flight before Stephen's group…it did not suck!

Fantastic photos. I want to go on this trip. Someone PM me, give me the instructions on the secret handshake, and tell me how much money is required.

Or, should I just call Chris?

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Aug. 23, 2012, 12:55 p.m.

Tenquille Lake! Hiked to it this time last year. How were the bugs? I was eaten alive last summer…

And adding this ride to the bucket list!

:belgium: :canada:

Aug. 24, 2012, 8:51 a.m.

What is with the propensity of using helicopters and planes to do rides. A bike has pedals for a reason. Tenquile Lake is a nice ride regardless of accessing it from the east or west. Though doing it from the west puts you back to your vehicle. Ridden there some 20 years ago on rigid bikes with can't stop cantilever brakes.
And yes the bugs can be bad but what do you expect to find in the summer in BC? Fall riding is the best as its cooler and usually bug free.

Aug. 24, 2012, 1:51 p.m.

What is with the propensity of using helicopters and planes to do rides. A bike has pedals for a reason. Tenquile Lake is a nice ride regardless of accessing it from the east or west. Though doing it from the west puts you back to your vehicle. Ridden there some 20 years ago on rigid bikes with can't stop cantilever brakes.
And yes the bugs can be bad but what do you expect to find in the summer in BC? Fall riding is the best as its cooler and usually bug free.

the heli drops you over 2000' above tenquille, fyi. thanks for the tip about pedals, I had no idea!

Aug. 24, 2012, 11:46 p.m.

Who mentioned bugs?

I don't see the argument here. We used a helicopter to create a fairly unique experience for both the winners of the giveaway, and ourselves over an insanely hectic week in Whistler. The trip was a stellar ride…both UP and DOWN!

Twitter: Stephen_matthws
Instagram: stephen_matthews

Aug. 25, 2012, 5:27 p.m.

So you are saying to use the pedals on the bike to climb up to 6627ft?
Thanks bud, but ill take a helicopter for this epic ride.

superheros
I like bikes

Aug. 25, 2012, 5:59 p.m.

nice to see the burns rejuvenating. I rode it a year or two after the fire and it was a moonscape. Really cool, but no where as nice before the duff burned off the trail. Haven't been back since.

Aug. 27, 2012, 1:16 p.m.

which website do you go to book this?

Aug. 27, 2012, 1:43 p.m.

which website do you go to book this?

http://www.ridebig.com/adventures.php

flickr