A New Breed of Shore Hardtail

Nov. 20, 2012, 1 p.m.

Ti surface quote from dekerf: $4000
I'm not kidding

That seems expensive… most builders charge ~3000$ give or take and depending on options.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Nov. 20, 2012, 1:19 p.m.

I'm not kidding

That's for a one off.

I'm loving my Ti HT, although its full on XC geometry (Titus Fireline 29). Although I'd love a Ti shore HT, $3-4K for a frame is a no deal for me.

Nov. 20, 2012, 8:21 p.m.

I'm not kidding

I'd be curious how close a Strong would get to that price. I think Spot was asking close to $4000 for custom geo Ti

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 20, 2012, 10:18 p.m.

I'd be curious how close a Strong would get to that price. I think Spot was asking close to $4000 for custom geo Ti

If you are moving beyond the Chromag brand name, best check out the Lynskey Made Kona Raijin: http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=raijin

Super similar geo to the Surface (comparing frames with 120mm forks, 18-19" size), Lots of sizes made, 44mm headtube, great sliders if you want the option to run singlespeed (or if you are running 1x10 and want a shorter rear-center).

The only negative that has come up if a shortage of dropper options (27.2) if you swing that way.

I wasn't a fan of the PF30 BB at first, but RaceFace makes a great PF30 BB (I run it with Shimano cranks) that I have been getting great life out of, and this is the stiffest Ti frame I have ridden in terms of out of the saddle hammering.

All that for ~$2000 + tax for a frame…

There are a few (three, soon to be four) guys I regularly ride with running them; Some geared, some single-speeded, everyone is really happy with their purchase.

Here's mine when it was first built up:

-D

*Disclosure: I used to work for a shop that sold Kona. Also, I really like Kona bikes. Also, I own a 2013 Satori and a '98 Jake the Snake, so I might be a fanboy.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Nov. 21, 2012, 8:58 a.m.

If you are moving beyond the Chromag brand name, best check out the Lynskey Made Kona Raijin: http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=raijin

Super similar geo to the Surface (comparing frames with 120mm forks, 18-19" size), Lots of sizes made, 44mm headtube, great sliders if you want the option to run singlespeed (or if you are running 1x10 and want a shorter rear-center).

The only negative that has come up if a shortage of dropper options (27.2) if you swing that way.

I wasn't a fan of the PF30 BB at first, but RaceFace makes a great PF30 BB (I run it with Shimano cranks) that I have been getting great life out of, and this is the stiffest Ti frame I have ridden in terms of out of the saddle hammering.

All that for ~$2000 + tax for a frame…

There are a few (three, soon to be four) guys I regularly ride with running them; Some geared, some single-speeded, everyone is really happy with their purchase.

Here's mine when it was first built up:

-D

*Disclosure: I used to work for a shop that sold Kona. Also, I really like Kona bikes. Also, I own a 2013 Satori and a '98 Jake the Snake, so I might be a fanboy.

Lets see it built up now ;)

.:NSTP:.

Nov. 21, 2012, 10:22 a.m.

Lets see it built up now ;)

No pics with the Chromag LTD saddle yet.

It is a pretty impressive piece of kit:

-I go for a ride on a wet-and-shitty evening and it comes back looking like it beaten to hell.

-I go for a ride where it isn't raining (it's happened!) and I get home and it looks new.

Plus, brown leather… how cool is that.

Besides Scotty, this is the "A New Breed of Shore Hardtail" thread, not the "A New, New, Breed of Shore Hardtail" thread. Bleeding (bludgeoning) Edge and all that.

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Nov. 21, 2012, 10:55 a.m.

That seems expensive… most builders charge ~3000$ give or take and depending on options.

Yeah, a one-off ti 29er from Naked Cycles is about $3500. More if you wanta tapered HT. Very cool dropouts, beautiful frames. Lifetime warrantee on all of his stuff which is about right for custom builders I think.

Nov. 21, 2012, 10:57 a.m.

I think Scott is asking about that new fork.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 21, 2012, 11 a.m.

I think Scott is asking about that new fork.

mmm…

let's see it!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 21, 2012, 11:33 a.m.

That's for a one off.

I'm loving my Ti HT, although its full on XC geometry (Titus Fireline 29). Although I'd love a Ti shore HT, $3-4K for a frame is a no deal for me.

Looks like they have a new version of the Fireline coming out next month.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTITFL29

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 21, 2012, 2:20 p.m.

Is the Naked or Strong going to have the super short rear end like the Surface? What about ISCG tabs?

Pretty sure Naked wants 3k for a steel frame.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 21, 2012, 2:27 p.m.

Is the Naked or Strong going to have the super short rear end like the Surface? What about ISCG tabs?

Pretty sure Naked wants 3k for a steel frame.

Any custom builder is capable of making a bike with short chainstays or adding an ISCG tab, but builders tend to specialize in a certain style and the more you deviate from that, the more it's going to cost and the less you might end up with exactly what you want.

This article touches on that idea from the builder's perspective:

http://overopinionatedframebuilder.blogspot.ca/2011/07/how-not-to-order-custom-frame.html

It's funny how easy it is for people to make the leap from "Chromag contracted DeKerf production run" to "DeKerf custom" and then bitch about the costs involved.

flickr

Nov. 21, 2012, 2:43 p.m.

Any custom builder is capable of making a bike with short chainstays or adding an ISCG tab, but builders tend to specialize in a certain style and the more you deviate from that, the more it's going to cost and the less you might end up with exactly what you want.

This article touches on that idea from the builder's perspective:

http://overopinionatedframebuilder.blogspot.ca/2011/07/how-not-to-order-custom-frame.html

It's funny how easy it is for people to make the leap from "Chromag contracted DeKerf production run" to "DeKerf custom" and then bitch about the costs involved.

That's pretty good tips. Having had a frame done in the past, most builders can customize geometry with no upcharge, they can build virtually anything you want within reason. Good builders are VERY picky about what they make. That frame has their name on it and will only build something they believe is good and nothing else.
Good builder = Good bike

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Nov. 21, 2012, 3:21 p.m.

:lol:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 21, 2012, 3:44 p.m.

Okay boom step away from the meme search tool you've been addicted to the last few days. Soon you'll end up like that Norco with the red wheels that was posted in every thread.