A New Breed of Shore Hardtail

Nov. 14, 2012, 12:21 p.m.

Its all in the details. The Rootdown is made in Taiwan, is not made of True Temper Super Therm tubing, so it weighs more, and it does not have the defining details throughout the frame, but the geo is the same.

I would love to try out one of each with identical build kits to see if there is any difference in the ride quality.

Nov. 14, 2012, 4:55 p.m.

I would love to try out one of each with identical build kits to see if there is any difference in the ride quality.

You will likely find less of a difference in ride quality. Though the lighter, tubing may offer a less harsh ride. I would say that some of the Surface owners want to have the details that are in the chainstay area, and brake mount area, and the face that it`s welded by DeKerf. Others that want to try the experience of a 29er, a hard tail, a chromag, or a combination of all of those may want to save some coin and get a Rootdown.

.:NSTP:.

Nov. 14, 2012, 10:40 p.m.

You will likely find less of a difference in ride quality. Though the lighter, tubing may offer a less harsh ride. I would say that some of the Surface owners want to have the details that are in the chainstay area, and brake mount area, and the face that it`s welded by DeKerf. Others that want to try the experience of a 29er, a hard tail, a chromag, or a combination of all of those may want to save some coin and get a Rootdown.

That's as good and honest as you could get from a bike shop employee! Thanks. It's what I suspected.

Nov. 15, 2012, 12:36 p.m.

Being that I've been drooling over Dekerf frames for about 20 years now, the fact Chris welds them is pretty huge for me. Likely not for everyone.

Nov. 15, 2012, 4:44 p.m.

Wanted a Dekerf since I was a grom. Got one last November with Chromag badges and über trendy wheel size to boot!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 17, 2012, 9:55 p.m.

Wanted a Dekerf since I was a grom. Got one last November with Chromag badges and über trendy wheel size to boot!

This is what sold me on getting a Surface last spring. I've had a lot of bikes over the years and the Surface is definitely my favourite.

Nov. 17, 2012, 10:14 p.m.

This is what sold me on getting a Surface last spring. I've had a lot of bikes over the years and the Surface is definitely my favourite.

Don't tell the haters. They will hate!

Nov. 18, 2012, 8:20 a.m.

Now get a Dekerf style Surface in TI and never look back. Now that's a pimp ride!:thepimp:

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Nov. 18, 2012, 9:34 p.m.

Now get a Dekerf style Surface in TI and never look back. Now that's a pimp ride!:thepimp:

Totally agree, well, a Ti Chromag that is. The more to Ti is really expensive, though. I believe that there has been a lot of talk directed at the Chromag boys about making a Ti Samurai, and now a Surface would likely be more saleable, but there's always resistance. I think, 1) there is a lot of risk in making a frame of that cost and hoping people do in fact buy them, 2) maybe they are truely all about the Cromo and Ti isn't part of their soul. I still think that they should make a limited run of 25 Ti surface frames once per year. I am sure that they would sell as there are currently line-ups to order a Surface.

Nov. 19, 2012, 12:08 a.m.

Totally agree, well, a Ti Chromag that is. The more to Ti is really expensive, though. I believe that there has been a lot of talk directed at the Chromag boys about making a Ti Samurai, and now a Surface would likely be more saleable, but there's always resistance. I think, 1) there is a lot of risk in making a frame of that cost and hoping people do in fact buy them, 2) maybe they are truely all about the Cromo and Ti isn't part of their soul. I still think that they should make a limited run of 25 Ti surface frames once per year. I am sure that they would sell as there are currently line-ups to order a Surface.

I would have to sell my Surface to get a Ti Surface if that was the case:thepimp:

Nov. 19, 2012, 8:22 a.m.

I would have to sell my Surface to get a Ti Surface if that was the case:thepimp:

I'd be interested, but a Ti Surface from a boutique builder would definitely be out of my price range and a chinese made Ti frame definitely isn't as appealing.

Nov. 19, 2012, 8:44 a.m.

I guess I was in an analogous situation 7 years ago, having lusted after the handbuilt Brodie's and rm's as a kid. Once I finally had some real money (not mine!) to throw at a frame, the chance to buy a rugged enough for bc hardtail made by mike true love was too good to pass up. Chromag was a start up then, my samurai was the 57th frame they'd produced. She just got a new coat of rust inhibitor and a headset pressed back in, getting ready for some soggy season fun

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 19, 2012, 9:08 a.m.

I guess I was in an analogous situation 7 years ago, having lusted after the handbuilt Brodie's and rm's as a kid. Once I finally had some real money (not mine!) to throw at a frame, the chance to buy a rugged enough for bc hardtail made by mike true love was too good to pass up. Chromag was a start up then, my samurai was the 57th frame they'd produced. She just got a new coat of rust inhibitor and a headset pressed back in, getting ready for some soggy season fun

That's sweet to hear. My friend Ryan, has a 7 year old Chromag Gypsy light. It was previous someone else's bike and he has been shredding it for the past 7 years. He's updated the parts, and is also looking at freshening it up with a fresh coat of paint next season. Over those 7 years dual suspension bikes have changed a lot…

Nov. 20, 2012, 12:09 a.m.

Ti surface quote from dekerf: $4000
I'm not kidding

Nov. 20, 2012, 12:33 p.m.

Ti surface quote from dekerf: $4000
I'm not kidding

Now that is a boatload of money. It would be interesting how much a steel frame would differ from that very hefty price tag.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer